The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

It’s very easy to find work harvest time. All black market work of course. Yes, accommodations and good food provided, along with all the scissor hash you could possibly handle. All while hanging out with similar people.

3 Likes

I got a great visual from that description!
Lmoa!! That’s hilarious!

Old Silversides is producing actual buds. There is no doubt pruning gives you far higher quality looks, and much bigger buds, but they are so beautiful all scraggly and wild looking i don’t mind them unruly.
Just smoked a Oaxaca bud from an Old Silversides plant grown in a one gallon container. Very potent! A bit trippy or other worldly quality to the high when freshly dried @Romanoweed. I hope it stays that way…
Fresh or cured it has that upbeat, joyous, constant smirk type of long lasting high that comes right back up as high as the first time with half the amount you smoke the next time😁

19 Likes

And Argentina chicas! Count me in …lol

2 Likes

No, it was a landrace. Not a hybrid heirloom. I smoked several pounds of the stuff back in the 1970s. I have some growing here now under lights in the Cascade hills from seeds preserved in the 70’s. Several of us have these strains still. Thin leaves, late blooming, super skinny leaf phenos, no indica in there at all. Zero. No loss of vigor, though these are more weedy and not as potent as some of the indica hybrids made with it like Skunk in the 1970s/1980s in California and other places. It smokes the same as the stuff I smoked in the 1970s. There was a TON of it around then. Super seedy, cheap, and a good high. Not overpowering or racy like Punto Rojo, and not put you under the table like Punta Roja (lowland Colombian Red). As for the local stuff grown these days in Colombia, from what my friends say on the Latin forums, all the weed grown in Colombia now is indica hybrid. And not all Dutch hybrids, they also had California hybrids. Though a lot of the Dutch gear came from California, Oregon or Washington state (ie.,Northern Lights).

As for where landrace Colombian came from? Not sure. Many tales going back to legends of when Colombia declared independence from Spain. In my experience, Santa Marta grows most similar to SE Asian strains, though also similar to some South African landrace strains like Transkei. Santa Marta does not grow like Mexican or any indica at all. Super skinny leaves, late blooming, and the tendency to have the really late season (December when gown outdoors) banana male flowers. They are not full branch herms with full male pendant flowers like you get with some over-bred modern hybrids. Just one offs here and there with weird shaped flowers that look like tongues. They do not seem to have much viable pollen on them. This is most similar to strains like VietNam Black which also have the skinny leaves, late blooming, and weird male blooms really late in blooming.

10 Likes

Another BOEL myth. BOEL was best known for importing and distributing Afghani hash and making and distributing Orange Sunshine acid. They were actually a very small group in SoCal. But they get credited for importing, distributing and breeding everything from Hawaii to South Africa. I never saw any weed or hash from them in NorCal, but I did see their acid. I heard about them from friends in LA and San Diego. As for them crossing these two strains? Very very unlikely. They were importers and distributors, and later to a large extent alchemists, but not growers. I never saw any Lebanese weed growing the US until I got seeds in the late 1990s from Europe and grew it here myself. Lebanese hash was fairly common at certain times of the year, but it never had seeds. At least the many pounds that I waded through in the 1970s did not. It was well sieved and pressed. I have grown a lot of Lebanese since I got the seeds which took me 3 years to seek out and obtain in trade. Beqaa Valley landrace Lebanese is another rather mild strain. But it makes good potent hashish. Like many of the milder strains do.

The hash plants that were grown, bred and hybridized in California were pretty much all Afghani from what I saw. Seeds that a few hippies brought back from Afghanistan before Russia invaded it in the late 1970s. As for Colombian Red, that was more or less 75% of the Colombian weed that I saw in California in the 1970s and early 1980s. Cheap seedy bricked weed that made you want to crawl under the table and pass out. As I did after smoking it many many times. Colombia Red, also known as Punta Roja (not to be confused with Punto Rojo, the rushy/trippy cousin from the western mountain areas of Colombia) was northern Colombian lowland weed. Punta Roja was likely the same or similar landrace as Panama Red. Panama Red in California was more common up though the early 1970s. In the later 1970s Colombian of all types became more common and Panama weed faded out.

12 Likes

Last Week we here had parades, Panamas independence from Colombia. 03/ 11/1903

It was part of Nuevo Granada….Simon Bolivar
It formed part of the division…from Colombia.

The Spanish built there forts in Cartagena to Portobello…

A route was made …de Camino de Ora …to transfer the gold etc they stole from Peru, Chile etc .

Great fortifications till Hendry Morgan wiped those two forts out and sacked them.

…Nowadays it’s a smuggling route for Immigrants…and I’m sure other smuggling goes on.
I’ve travelled around Panama and Colombia…and I’m totally confinced that Panama red and Punta roja are the same, if not there at least related…

I ain’t no expert….and I love to learn…from guys like @PanchoVilla and @Upstate …Panama red got its name,no doubt from the Panama American marines in Colon…and Panama., bringing it home…but I’m sure Punta roja (Panama red are the same…

It just makes sense… the Chagres Indians grew it and sold it to marines who brought it back to the states…

The Panama red is accociated to Marines and the canal….But it’s at least a cousin of Punta roja…

I love the thread …and the below will show how concerned the USA was concerned of there troops getting wiped out with Panama red.

https://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/panama/panama1.htm

Quote.
3. All stated they were very hungry after smoking and the quantity of food consumed at their subsequent meal confirmed this statement

13 Likes

I didn’t mean Santa Marta was a sativa/indica hybrid. I’ve been thinking its a landrace sativa/ landrace sativa hybrid. I always said something from se aisa or Oceania/ Indonesia was mixed with Colombian to make the famed Santa Marta Colombian Gold,( and your experiences with it seem to add weight to that theory). Possibly Borneo to be exact, but some info points toward Se Asia. Brought by US pharmaceutical companies to Colombia in the teens and 20’s of last century and IMO mixed with older local Colombian genetics that are likely Indian and/ or African in origin. I’d love for you to post some pictures. I bet they are beautiful.

6 Likes

I purchased several sizes of these because of your post. I haven’t used them but they seem pretty sweet. What kind of syringe do you use to inject pollen with may I ask? @District_Flora

4 Likes

This week sometime i will be finished with packing seeds for the Freakers. After I’ll pass out more of these Oaxaca seeds to others. I want to once again thank Cryptic Labs for releasing this treasure. Out of 2 dozen landraces I’ve grown and smoked, this one is the best, hands down. I sincerely hope I have not ruffled any feathers by passing out a few dozen packs…I truly believe that out of 350 million people in this country, there are many more than a few dozen people awaiting another shot at purchasing this one. Give Cryptic Labs some business. Let them know you appreciate, like i do, the chance to grow some famous bud from the past.
Their Demon Latcher is well known :fire:, and I’m sure the rest of their gear is too!
I was sooooo high all yesterday smoking this stuff. I think I finally picked a plant at its peak. With NO cure, i was absolutely fried all day and night.

I was almost too high, but not quite😁

27 Likes

i believe this is quiet a good one. too high you?

2 Likes

Some mutant panamas, I call them Panamutant Klan. The seeds come from a 5 years old repro, realized with stuff of the extinct Vibes collective.

9 Likes

I’m drooling! Looks amazing. I’d certainly buy a pack if it were still available. Hope they re-release it!

2 Likes

I’m glad to have picked up some of Cryptic’s Mexican varietals when they were available. Thanks for running them and reporting on the quality. Definitely some oaxacans going in the dirt this spring. Also, you’ve only been an advocate for Cryptic. Feathers shouldn’t be ruffled. You’ve no doubt sold packs for them.

5 Likes

Kudos to you for reproducing these.
Was there a sign up for these? I keep missing out. lol
I’d love to grow these next summer.

3 Likes

Yesterday was epic. Its such good smoke. You might be able to find a fast enough plant for your area…you should try it.
The plant was only in a one gallon container, so its a very small yield. I’ll smoke the whole plant this week for sure lol. I can’t stop smoking it. I have tried to test the ceiling of this one and I don’t believe there is one. I can only finish one bowl before I have had enough. I get the same sensation when i eat too much. I literally felt “full” and had no desire for any more. I have trouble finishing a pipe.
Keep this in mind though everyone…i quit smoking hybrids so i could accurately gage the potency of these landraces I grow. Many of you could smoke more. BUT…everyone i have smoked this with loves the stuff. I mean loves it. Its everyone’s favorite smoke. Even my cousins college kids prefer it.
@PineTarBastard there was no sign up. I had a couple purposes with this run. One was for a Freakers seedrun, but I’m also sending seeds to Mexico with @Eudamon to be spread around their original homeland. I’ve been giving seeds out to people that have followed this thread for any length of time too. 20 or 30 people so far.
This week I’m packing up seeds for my Freaker friends and Mexico and then I will see whats left. Either there will be a sign up or if i only have 20 or 30 packs left I’ll just mail them to OG’ERS myself.
This won’t be my only Oaxaca grow either😁.

22 Likes

Panama 74?

2 Likes

Vibes collective 1960 Lambsbread. My next mission😁 @gmike

26 Likes

Now that’s crazy looking. :joy:

2 Likes

So how long did you let it go? Sure is frostier than I would expect. Wowsa

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many weeks. 14-16 weeks or so indoors last year. It began flowering naturally outdoors and flowered quicker as a cutting. 12-14 weeks best guess.
That Lambsbread does look crazy. Going to have to make Rastoaxacan me thinks…:thinking:or Oaxacarasta…

Anyone know how to get on touch with Cryptic Labs? I’d like to thank them.

9 Likes