The Home Distillation Thread

Gotta say, sure looks clean.

Bananas are not my favorite. I love the flavor, but not the squish.

Bet the liquor is delish.

99%

2 Likes

First run is done. Total is a half gallon of fire water. Another 4 gl to go. Hope to get a gallon total out 8 gallons of mash. First run/quart 130 proof 2nd run/qt85 proof. Tails a pint at 20 proof.

Once done itā€™s time to learn how to make green dragonā€¦

3 Likes

Jet fuel!

99%

:airplane_departure:

1 Like

Off and running the next batch. Gallon of rocket fuel one drip at a time.

3 Likes

Hit the gallon mark out of 8.5 gallons of mash.

1qt @130 proof
2 qts of 90+
1qt of 60 (tails)

Thatā€™s it for the banana run. Now Iā€™m going to try a mixed fruit run. Apples, plums, peaches and papaya with a few bananas too.

added pics of yield

8 Likes

Update on the ferment side.

Just ran some brandy. Used 5 gallons of my Dark Passion wine to make 1 gallon of Dark Heart brandy. I shut it down at 110 proof. Thereā€™s prolly more in there but Iā€™m not gonna push it.

9 Likes

Got to askā€¦what are those logs floating in your brew?

2 Likes

Toasted French Oak spirals for aging

4 Likes

Is it for flavor or coloring?

I like my shine unadulteratedā€¦

Flavor and coloring as it ages.

1 Like

Itā€™s a nice alternative to aging in a barrel heh?

3 Likes

I use to cut my own high surface area sticks and toast them on the bbq, but it was hard for me to get right type of oak locally ā€œred vs whiteā€ and get consistent chars/toast levels that werenā€™t just one dimensional. I just ended up preferring as @stain said my spirits unadulterated.

does anyone make distillate? the cannabis extract? is that similar?

2 Likes

Its my next project, after cleaning up some stuff.

Its very similar in process, except you distill under vacuum, which lowers your boiling and vapor temperatures, i have parts for a bigger setup, minus a vacuum pump but Ill be ordering in smaller glass parts to play with.

4 Likes

Yeah, a couple big time cannabinoid distillers start with the whole plants, shredded, and do a simple ethanol extraction to yield a blacker-than-black oil. That gets boiled under vacuum to separate the fractions

2 Likes

Doing a 2nd run on a rum tonight, just to take out the heads and tails.

4 Likes

Bump and @Pedro_Bann the guys in here can teach you lol

1 Like

you trying to make me go missing @Jellypowered

3 Likes

I had homebrew honey mead for the first time last nightā€¦

Anyone got any recipes? Lol.

1 Like

Itā€™s time to bring this thread back to life. My distiller (pot style) should be here this week (no link, wife wonā€™t provide details). My low range Hydrometer arrived today. Iā€™ll be ordering this Hydrometer for finishing.

For the time being, my intention is to make alcohol exclusively for extraction and I have a couple questions -

Is it better to buy a cooler and the parts to make a Mash Tun, or just buy something pre-made?
As for the grain to use, what are the better choices for sugar content? Best sources?
Am I complicating life for myself? ie: is buying some high proof booze and running it through the still a simpler means to the same end?

3 Likes