Today I finally found a graph that explained to me WHY newbies often aren't receptive to advice

I’ve grinded myself too hard onto the rough sandstone known as ignorance when trying to help people out.

That’s why I sometimes come off as a bit sour.

Sorry for that.

Here’s the graph:

8 Likes

Ah, Dunning-Kruger. For when you are so smart you do not see anything special in being smart or you are so dumb you do not know you are dumb.

3 Likes

:joy: Exactly! :joy:

I bet if you keep trying hard you will be a great member of this community.

1 Like

Might require too much trying :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sob:

Hummm…

Where does that expert range then?

Below or above the over-confidence threshold?..

2 Likes

Or maybe she doesn’t have any experience herself and is in fact just on the very beginning of the graph at knowledge level 0% and confidence 100%.

1 Like

Sour? Nah. Hang in there. Advising others with knowledge and opening a dialog is a supremely noble cause, certainly appreciated by many, and is an invaluable learning experience for both the teacher and the student!

2 Likes

Salutations Northern_Loki,

There’s theory then there’s practice, like many here i guess i’ve actually observed my fair share of incommunicability walls from both sides of the spectrum, just like this Nora Volkow (of NIDA) with so little relevant experience to even consider a true dialog. To pretend otherwise would be like it’s easy to teach painting art to a guy who’s born blind.

That diagram feels incomplete! Besides the “confidence” rift there should another called arrogance.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

4 Likes

Dunning-Krueger never applied to me. As a newbie one year ago, i made it clear to everyone that i didn’t know what i was doing. There were great gentlemen on here that helped me without reservation or expecting anything in return. I followed advice verbatim and respected/admired all the helpful people that overgrow provided me with. And still do.

I am the best salesman i know, i can sell ice to a eskimo, but i have been doing sales for over 20 years. When i have been growing weed for 20 years, i will probably be arrogant.

My two cents.

PS.: I don’t say this enough nowadays, so I LOVE OVERGROW!

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking in terms of myself & the plant… that curve don’t apply here…

but I do agree that idiots are the least capable of assessing ability; the following image also reflects the lack of animus following a recently-resigned u.s. secretary of state’ comment to the executive-- it’s a COMPLIMENT! HA! mofos :wink:

3 Likes

Salutations MadScientist,

It must feel great whenever it happens, eventually. Who wants to deny that? Enjoy this for what it is while it lasts, on the contrary: e.g. a privilege!

:+1:

But YMMV and everyone doesn’t always reach similar conclusions when it comes to finding virtual friendship on the web, which always proved to be a most deceptive illusion as far as i’m concerned.

Not to mention real opportunities for on-line cooperative efforts in a “collegial” spirit.

:expressionless:

In retrospective one constant i’ve observed was that practically any board would be better off with this simple “rule” in their constitutive charter: there are no small economies to make over reciprocal respect between members.

Too bad i routinely observe erosion of politeness and civility, even right here there were episodes of adversity that sounded like racism. After all there’s theory and then there’s practice. So be it, that won’t be a 1st neither a last.

The fact is that anywhere i cared to register i’ve witnessed attitudes fueled by some imported/forged “Drama Queen” reputation that supported further destruction work, no matter where. If you wish i can actually provide 2 fresh samples taking place on concurrent boards recently, ranging from hypocrite to open war and under the contemplative cooperation from officials: the worse trolls around.

Consequently, pray providence that OG shall resist such tendencies until its natural end.

But never forget ALL things come to pass and even virtual LOVE it seems.

Yet again YMMV. Lucky you! :metal:

With love…

4 Likes

My shakesperian beloved friend @Egzoset! I can only hope that one day i have the dominion of the language in a hyperbolic way, the way you do. I enjoy reading your editorials whenever they appear.

I do not think it’s necessary to immerse ourselves in the derogatory argumentation of problems that arise on other boards, let’s just leave them alone. Whenever someone is an a**hole or something i just ignore it, sometimes i pitty them because they lack love, being that they never received any or they just think it’s a sign of weakness.

I cry, i laugh and i joke around, in no way that has ever made me weak. The weak hide themselves in a hatred cloak.

Virtual friendships are not what they seem, yes. But like you said, Let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

HppHrvst

1 Like

But guys like you are few and far apart!

There’s two guys I call my best friends, this one finnish guy who’s a lil bro of my deceased best friend, and then this texan guy (who lives in Finland) who listened to my advice to the T, years ago.

People like you are out there, but sometimes I feel I’ve wasted a lot of hours to type out replies to guys who don’t listen, even when they have asked a question.

We know you’re a special case, MS. :heart:

1 Like

I am sure some view me as a drama queen already here :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And I am one :joy:

1 Like

This has been a very special morning man! Feel the love overgrowing in our hearts bros!

Hi again MadScientist,

There’s nothing like good humour to flatten the horizon! Well done, i stand totally vulnerable from this much flatery!.. :smile:

1 Like

What is going on @Egzoset, are you lurking in the dark around here!?

Salutations MadScientist,

Oh well, you must be refering to a recent musical discovery i made, kind of late about Aleah Liane Stanbridge and Juha Raivio’s band(s), i’m afraid: that there can be no light without darkness! Appreciate how their couple evolved towards a most promising future while actually aiming for the abyss of time…

2 Likes

If you believe in light, it’s because of obscurity. If you believe in joy, it’s because of sadness. And if you believe in God, it’s because of there is a Devil.

Father X, Notredame Church.

Very prosaic and lyrical! (if they can co-exist)