TopShelfs trees (Part 3)

Hmmm never heard corn that’s pretty neat, down here we use a handful of dog food and sink some chicken livers to the bottom and grab channel cats that way.

2 Likes

You guys up there big on the pan fish like bluegill.

3 Likes

Really eh? This I did not know, i see so many fish with corn too. Interesting

2 Likes

Ya corn is actually a go to for several fish, there’s these older guys that sit at a local lake and pitch can after can in there, then they have the rod holders with alarms etc. they get monster carp and cats. Imagine how much corn is down there they have been doing this as long as I remember, since ny kids were born anyway. Yikes

5 Likes

I’m not afraid to put a couple on my hook to try for some Speckled trout but I stopped dumping them down the hole for chum, once I found out that they couldn’t digest them.

4 Likes

Definitely! I’ve used it before too when I was a kid, sunfish and brookies will eat em too. Thanks for letting me know that

3 Likes

I still don’t believe people eat carp!:nauseated_face:

6 Likes

The carp in our lake are Asiatic grass carp and are a nuisance species that has really hurt the ecosystem. We pitch em out in the woods or use em for fertilizer in the garden. The channel cats get fileted at the dock and run up to the house for frying.

4 Likes

Love my Brookes, but when they get big from the lake, I call them Speckies

16 Likes

What’s brookies and speckies? Edit: then the pics load for me lol.

1 Like

The prettiest best tasting fish this side of the Equator. LOL

5 Likes

We have native Brookies here, an 8 in is a full grown one.

1 Like

You clean them, season well, place on a cutting board. Bake at 400 for 15. Toss out the carp and eat the cutting board.

6 Likes

You guys cook them whole? Pan cook? Or smoke?

1 Like

We saute them in Whiskey, throw away the fish and drink the whiskey.

5 Likes

I pan fry mine now that I only get them when I come to visit. But if I lived here again I would definitely be doing some smoking with them.

1 Like

Growing up in Washington DC I saw a lot of people catch carp and they’d chop them into chunks and soak em in vinegar to soften all the bones. Then they’d eat the whole fish minus organs that way. Shad were pickled the same way. I stuck to crappie and perch for table fish personally. Pickled fish just wasn’t my thing.

2 Likes

Holy crap! Monsters! Nice

Used to love fishing for carp. Get a small rod w/ like 8lb line and just fight those big stupid looking goldfish forever! I know some ppl eat them, but I’ve always read they are boney and very greasy.

1 Like

They are definitely fun and fight like hell!

1 Like