Transplanting and cloning autos?

Still very much a green horn to the green thumb community. I have done enough reading to know that half that click this will say No!!! Half will say haven’t had a issue yet. So I just transplanted my 3 autos. Plan on whatever is best looking at the end as long as make it there to start directly in bigger pot. Just to see what works best for me in my setup,time availability and what not. I haven’t decided if I will try to clip a clone or not yet. Prolly depends if my two spotted limes finish before these go into flower or not, will be close. Even then might just hold off a bit for that notch on the belt. While transplanting I wonder what is the best time to do so or is there even one and more just some plants do better than others? So here I am to ask my green thumb elders.
First ?
If you have had success, when do you transplant? Do you go off height? Do you go off nodes? Does it always change? Or do you do it the same number of days in regardless of the plant size?

Second?
If you’ve had success cloning autos what is your strategy? I know the basic concept of clipping, trimming edges of leafs and dipping in countless different solutions. More on the high or low side of plant do you take from? Do you have a length requirement? Certain number of days in? Or just once long enough before flower you take?

In advance thank you for any and all information! I don’t have much room in this brain of mine but that’s what the book mark tabs are for right! Lol

I’ve successfully transplanted them. Not enough experience to know if I stunted them… they still produced

No point in cloning an auto. That clone will continue to do its autoflowering thing. Its not like a photo period where you can veg indefinitely

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking with the cloning. Had to ask if there was any success to it thou. I’d be a little more open to that vs cs/sts. Eventually I’ll try making some seeds. Figure I’ll get a better feel for just getting quality nug first thou.
To the transplanting nice to hear bc my spotted limes where gifted to me day of transplant by my more expierenced neighbor and now that I’ve transplanted them I have that I need to see more growth worry to me. Lol

1 Like

So with that said then cloning is more for finding a good mother of that once In a life time seed, CS and sts would be more for producing more seeds of same strain for hunting phenos? Along with few other things for both.

This should get you up to speed if you are keen on learning the ways of the autoflower. Yes, you can clone them but as @Grease_Monkey already mentioned the plants cannot be re-vegged and will continue along their life cycle. This is a good way of isolating a specimen for reversing through CS/STS to self or breed while still being able to see the uninterrupted life cycle, structure, and traits of the plant.

4 Likes

From what I understand autos growth depends on roots. If the main root hits bottom fast growth starts faster but will limit out smaller. In a bigger pot the plant will take longer to take off because its busy building a root system

And look thru the link @TerpSneeze posted. Mr sparkle knows a thing or 20 about them

3 Likes

I think most of my book mark tabs are thru that tread! I’ve refferenced it a time or two and up to date on his 2020 and 2021 thread lol. Lots of inspirations to be had over there. That more helps me out in feeling more at ease. I had them shoot up in smaller size pots once roots hit bottom. Had leveled out for a few days. So went for the transplant.

there looking happy so far I guess time will tell !

6 Likes

You can transplant if you are gentle. I feel I have better results not transplanting myself. Remember these plants have a limited time to grow, so if you stess them in any way, you lose yield. They can be unforgiving.

You can clone an auto, but like many have already said, it will continue to flower. Not to mention any stress from cutting the original plant can stunt them.

3 Likes

Thank you I think I’ll wait to see about cloning once have a photo tent going.
Luckily these spotted limes are little forgiving with my messing around with them. I’ll have to run them again to do them justice down the road. these new three other than feeding. I’m going try to hold off on touching them at all, till right before flower. Then I’ll clean them up just a little bit, for light to get to them.

1 Like

You can easily transplant autos without any loss, as long as they are still seedlings.

I put them in 0,5-1l pots after germination and always transplant them around 1-1,5 weeks after they break the soil. But as soon as the plant starts growing nodes and the root system develops, it will result in a loss of final growth, when they are still not in their final pots. The taproot is the key.

I practice this transplant-method for years now, just to keep them in a shed for the first days, to make sure that they will not wasted by temperature/bad weather in their first days. And of course I can transport them easy and stealthy to my final growspot, when kept in small pots/cups first.

When growing them indoors, or in a greenhouse, they should start straight in their final pots though.

But cloning autos makes no sense at all. It’s possible, but useless. An auto-clone cannot develop a full rootsystem and therefore cannot produce a full plant. It’s just a waste of time.

Better to run a few strains and check out, which one works best for you, then start another run and create fems of your favourite strains.
I use a 50-100ppm colloidal silver solution for reversing, which brings me best results. never had any hermies.

The ones on your picture are in too small pots for their size. You can still transplant them though.
But they are already too far in this stage, to grow to their full potential.

A big fact of autoflowers is the potsize, to develop a decent rootsystem. The potsize defines the vegetative stage.
They should be put in at least 20l pots as long as they are still in seedling-stage (first 2 leaves). This makes them often veg even longer - for about 5-6 weeks before they start flowering.
Smaller (final-) pots will result in a faster maturation and faster harvest, but with a loss in yield, as plants start flowering sooner (because their rootsystem tells em they’re ready to go).

I have to add that my point of view is growing autos outdoors.

But there would be a benefit of using smaller pots, when growing them indoors, e.g. in a sog grow, as they’ll finish up to a month sooner = lower costs.

Keep trying, autoflowers can be really great. Just toss the idea of cloning them. :slight_smile:

1 Like