Smallest rooted cuttings

Back in the day there was a thread about posting your smallest rooted cuttings…ever since then I’ve been hooked on rooting small cuttings…In the old OG days my smallest cutting was 1/2 inch but I don’t have that picture anymore, it was in my old OG gallery…Someone here suggested maybe that challenge is worth repeating and I should start a thread on it again…

I used my small black cheapo aero cloner to root this cutting and the roots are over 3" long and it took 5 days for the roots to appear, …it’s been in my cloner for 2 wks. and the strain is Matanuska Thunder Head…

as you can see I use short plastic collars on my cloners.

29 Likes

No pics but I’ve gone as small as 3-4” with good success.

1 Like

Just a thought, but ya might wanna paint / tape the clear tub. Roots really do grow faster in darkness. When I built my first cloner it was just like that. When I taped it (duct tape, go figure) and darkened the inside, root development was much better.

Looks like you have no issues rooting though, they look healthy! But its a thought I figured I’d pass on…

3 Likes

No thank you, I’m doing fine and dandy…check out my other post…

5 Likes

It’s not so much that roots won’t grow in a clear container its more that algae will grow

1 Like

I don’t get algae in my cloners, never had algae in over 18yrs. since the get go.

1 Like

I get algae every time I use a clear container, I’ve even gotten it in dark containers with a clear hose entering it letting the light in

Not saying you’re wrong just reporting my experience

Your lights might be too strong, I use an old school fluorescent tube under the cabinet light as you can see…you don’t need a high wattage light for cloning…BTW, been using these cloners for over 18yrs. and no problems with algae.

7 Likes

I always cut mine at 3.5" but for the hell of it Ill see how small I can root one. So I got to beat 1" for now I guess. lol

2 Likes

You guys and yer fancy contraptions! Lol
Thanks,
Now im gonna try to clone every little piece I pinch off!

12 Likes

I have aero cloner but have never used it lol. What would you suggest adding to the water?

2 Likes

I add nothing. I change the water once a week.

5 Likes

Do you use just strait water. And how often did you change water.

1 Like

Oh, c’mon! its not that fancy!

4 Likes

Ok, here we go. Tap water, nothing else.

I wouldn’t call this a fancy contraption. lol

5 Likes

I have cloned a single fan leaf before. It was a white widow, but I didn’t use an aero cloner. It was in a 4" pot with dirt that I set in a saucer of water. It took over 2 months but it never died. I set it in the back of the veg tent. It had about 7 roots on it that were about an inch long.

5 Likes

I use Chicago tap water only no additives or rooting hormones and I don’t change the water weekly…

3 Likes

Same, but change water after about 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I have a TurboKlone that I haven’t used yet. This weekend when I get home I’m gonna join in on this experiment I have an Alaskan purple that I need to down size. This should be an interesting experiment to see how small of a cutting I can root out.

3 Likes

Here’s a cloner I made back in the day…people said your cuttings will not root if the rockwool is always wet, the rockwool need to have a dry time, well guess what myth busted…I had a few left over rockwool and instead of just tossing it away I did an experiment and it works…this cloner can use a rockwool or just cuttings to root, notice the small holes for my small clear plastic collars…

4 Likes