TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

The light is a custom build. There’s two 150w light panels in there each consisting of 10x560mm 3500k Bridgelux EB Gen2 strips, powered by an XLG-150-L-AB driver.

This is more than enough to cover a 2x4 but you would need more to fit a bigger space. Lots of info in the Cheap Strips thread regarding build options and cost, but generally speaking it takes about 600w of efficient LED to replace a 1kw HPS.

2 Likes

Trevor are you going to start watering them more? they look like the roots might be big enough to reach the dry zone. I’m just a rookie though so any info you can share would be good.

EDIT-- what tent did you end up getting?

2 Likes

Those autos definitely have the root to reach the dry. I was amazed how fast mine filed a 6in net pot

3 Likes

Good observation! I usually take pics right after watering and this time I didnt, so it looks dryer than it is. Its definitely a good practice to visualize the roots below the plant based on the shape and size of the plant, so good on you for that.

I’m by no means a model hand waterer, but for these early stages I just run a circle of water with a turkey baster about 1 or 2 inches from the rim of the pot, which gives the roots some water in the middle while encouraging them to seek out the edge more, it will wet to the sides below the surface, but not so much that it will overwet. Hand watering is such a pain in the ass though I look forward to when I can wet all the media (soon) and leave it for a couple days.

3 Likes

Tent was another Vivosun, same brand as my 2x4, I was impressed with the quality:cost of my current one and when I saw this one for $55cad for a limited time deal I had to bite.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_8mlXDb2QB36KS

7 Likes

I got a 4x4 same brand and I like it way better than the 3 other mars hydro ones.
Built tougher, good zippers and no light leeks

4 Likes

Trevor are you in Canada? I tried to buy a vivosun tent just now from Amazon and it says it won’t ship to my address. The tent sells for CDN$ so I was wondering if they don’t ship to usa??

3 Likes

he is, but there are plenty of options in the states, that jsut one that we can easily get here off amazon.ca

5 Likes

Day 9

GTxSBR

Dark Sparks look to finally be picking up steam

@Jellypowered @toastyjakes okokok I’m taking out the double planted seed and putting it in it’s own pot. Not much of a root in there but hey we will see, if not I’ll start more lol. I want a few killer Dark Sparks this round!

Speaking of which, I found a mutant “crinkle”

So I yanked it and put the seedling above in its place

But I couldn’t bear to throw out the mutant just yet so I stuck it in a pot with another seedling I’m not sure about yet…

12 Likes

I just looked, I was on amazon.ca. I’ll look at my regular amazon.com

3 Likes

You playing musical seedlings when the music stops swap all the seedlings about :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah I think Vivosun stuff is pretty much everywhere but there are plenty of good options out there, I’m sure alot of this cheaper stuff comes out of the same factory with different brand names on it.

Some things to consider when shopping for a tent:

• Does it have alot of bad reviews about light leaks? A few tiny pinholes can be expected but if people are complaining about really bad leaks then it’s probably not a good option.

• Quality zippers and stitching

• Metal frame and metal frame connectors

• Good ventilation options

You can get all that stuff without paying top dollar. Not to say the higher end isnt worth it, those Gorilla brand tents with the extension kits are really cool too just really expensive lol

2 Likes

yeah I’m not going to pay for a gorilla tent.

I’m looking at the 36 x36x 72 for 90 versus 48 x 48 x 80 for 110. My ceiling is around 84. DO you often have to fit anything above the tent??

amazon.com has them for USA shipment just fine. just my screw up on following your link to amazon.ca

4 Likes

I have my exhaust fan duct coming out the top of mine but it could go out the side.

2 Likes

The top of my tent is where all my timers, drivers, meters and tools are lol

But no, theres sometimes a top vent sock for exhaust but theres usually side socks up top too.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: TrevorLahey’s Low Budget Growing Part 5: “Ghostbusters II”

could of just started a new thread…

3 Likes

Well look at that :wink:

1 Like

Is it the camera or do I see a lot of yellow?

2 Likes

Neither, that strain usually starts off lime green, the 3500k light adds more yellow to the white balance, too.

We are over here now, by the way :slight_smile:

TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 5: "The Ghost and the Darkness"

2 Likes