TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Lol didn’t mean to make ya paranoid bro.

3 Likes

Well either you jinxed it or I jinxed myself when I cursed rivets…

Gonna have to disassemble the whole thing and rivet these on… damnit!

7 Likes

Is that the tape coming lose???

Why take apart, can you not just drill holes through both pieces and use nuts n bolts???

Sorry you are having issues, BUT, looks like MUCH BETTER light power and distribution through your tent, when they are all squared away your gonna love them I bet!!

6 Likes

Wow perfect coverage there. Nice build! Except the tape haha

Do the strips have mounting holes on them or do you drill through the board?

2 Likes

Not much difference at the edges, so it’s a nice spread of light, I will rivet mine I think :wink:

Looks really good man, how many more strips would you need to get it to 30 inches across?

1 Like

Back in June 2018 when I built my light I used what I knew… PC standoffs…
End post shows build in progress shot
I run them on 1A and 700mA drivers. Have been using them over a year…
The other build used bolts and nylon washers and lots of drill press time…

2 Likes

Probably, but could damage the strips in the process.

Yeah they have mounting holes that line up perfectly with where I need to mount them so that’s nice.

The maximum number of strips an XLG-150 can run is 10 so for those 6 extra inches I’d use the same amount of strips but add extra gap between them. Theres more than enough light in one of these frames to light a 30x24.

7 Likes

Brilliant! I actually have a bunch of these on hand and the screws for them as well but not 40-60 of them.

2 Likes

Yeah… I bought a big bag for really low price on closeout…
to source them out from fresh stock is too expensive like 10-15 cents apiece…

Went with 6 per strip - 4 supports on one side (ends and middle) 2 on the other.
I my mind these were designed to snap into some fixture that was never released that would contact the two points on the end for power and lock the rest of the strip into position in a recessed ceiling enclosure or hanging troffer.

4 Likes

My strips coincidentally came with a curve to them, where if they were facing down the middle of them wants to bow up, rather than down, I think it’s going to work in my favour as I shouldnt have to attach them in the middle at all.

I think I’m going to give the rivets a try, as I do have a full box of 1/8"x1/8" aluminum rivets here that (I think?) are perfect size for this purpose. Gonna have to sleep on it! LOL

I also have been pondering how these would be installed in their intended environment and you’re right the two solder pads on each strip could easily just be slotted into two terminals and into a recessed fixture. Would look really nice too I would think! I wonder if the connectors for such fixtures are also available and cheap?

2 Likes

That light build hs shown me i need to do one for my 4x4 and maybe use less electricity than a thouey. I’m completely ignorant on leds tho so when i finally decide to do it I’m gonna need a lot of help

3 Likes

What driver would I need for 10 X 44 inch strips or 20 X of the ones you are using Trev.

1 Like

I havent done the math for the 44 inch units and I’m afraid I’ll give you wrong information but I think to do 10x44" strips you would need 300w so 2x150w drivers. (XLG-150-L-AB) since these drivers dont have a 300w variant.

Same goes for 20 of the 22 inch units you still need 2x150w drivers.

For that space you might be able to get away with 17 22" strips on a single XLG-240-L-AB like what @toastyjakes has done.

Tagging @Mr.Sparkle :wink: but maybe best to move the discussion to Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

6 Likes

Okay man cheers. I was hoping they would do a larger power one, that was cheaper than the 2 smaller ones.

Trying to work out whether to do the 6x4 ft veg tent first as that uses 50% more light time and do the flower room after, but I would also like to have better coverage in the flower room, it’s so difficult when you are strapped for cash :cry:

2 Likes

I totally understand that. Maybe you could think of it like I did and do a piece meal, and build multiple smaller frame lights as you can afford them.

I prefer the idea of having multiple lights that I can raise and lower individually, anyways.

2 Likes

How much did the drivers for your 2 cost, I wondering if I am going to save much running 2 small drivers opposed to 1 large one. I prefer smaller lights in the veg tent, but in flower, doing these super cropped style plants, they are close to 3 ft across by the time they finished stretching.

1 Like

The XLG-150-L-AB are like $51 each, the 10 strips for it would be around $80 so ~$130

And yes in most cases you’re spending more money in the long run by running multiple drivers. It’s still about the same or cheaper per watt with the XLGs than the HLG drivers though.

3 Likes

Took the light apart, drilled holes and just bolted the damn things on. Should have done that from the start lol

13 Likes

Better to have the tape peel now than with plants in there

2 Likes

I am liking those Trev, just got my 2ft extension added to my veg tent, looks empty and dark in there now :wink:

2 Likes