Tropf-Blumat Watering System

More or less yes.

If you are top watering for teas or whatever yes the blumats will stay closed until the carrot dries out enough to open the feed tube.

3 Likes

They work well for some set ups, I tried them, once dialled in they were good, the problem with them I had was once they are in place, you can’t move the pots, without having to re set the carrot.

If you accidentally bang a pot check the carrot is still set properly, if air gets down the side of it, it will constantly run water through the pot, and as I had happen twice, ended up with 50 liters of water all over the floor.

I am constantly moving my pots about so I stopped using them.

7 Likes

This is sage advice :slight_smile:

If you need to move plants often blumats aren’t great.

4 Likes

Thanks for that advice, those definitely won’t work for me then.

:v::peace_symbol::v: thx for the saved $$

1 Like

Your welcome, I was disappoint when I kept coming down to water all over the floor, as I run staggered veg and flowering, I have pots coming in and out every 4 week’s or so, as soon as I moved 2 out I would have to re set all the carrots on the other 6 pots plus the two new ones coming in. Then re dial them in.

3 Likes

I’ve bought some Blumats myself but didn’t use them yet (still 1 month into my first grow).
I’m wondering wether it’s best to water this way from the beginning or if the plants can quickly adapt even after a month or so of hand watering? I guess the root system should adapt and (slowly?) progress towards the carrot for better absorption?
Also if it’s better to only feed plain water through this system, how to give nuts to the plants as well while being traveling? I’m concerned being cut from nutrients for something like 2 weeks can generate a few deficiencies :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been running blumats in coco for years. I’ve bought those exact patio sets atleast 3 times. They use to be around 75-95 on eBay but have went up in price over time. You can just buy a 5 gallon bucket from Lowe’s/Home Depot and use that as a res. You probably do not want to fill more than a couple gallons till you are confident and have it setup for a week or so. Walking in to an indoor pool first thing in the morning is no fun.They take a little bit setting up, adjusting for the first couple days. I wouldn’t turn more than a 1/4 turn when adjusting to hit that sweet spot. I’ll still hand water maybe once a week or as needed but blumats are a game changer and can do it all by themselves once setup. I’ve never really had problems with clogging but build up can sometimes set in at the end of the drippers but an easy stretch and pinch usually will unclog it fast.

2 Likes

No I saw no evidence that the roots move towards carrot. The water drips from a tube that is controlled by the carrot. The carrot just acts as mechanism to control water flow through the rubber tube.

1 Like

Thanks guys :slightly_smiling_face:
Also is it critical to you to use a lightproof reservoir? As I guess like in hydro direct light on the water might generate algae or at least unexpected variations (pH, EC…)?

1 Like

If you can its a good idea. I had an old 45 liter potassium carbonate container I used which was white.

Like bytheKasiz says “You probably do not want to fill more than a couple gallons till you are confident and have it setup for a week or so”. If you are adding nutes you will need to empty the res each time it needs filling or try and work out whats left and add the difference accordingly. I dont use nutes so not 100% sure on that.

Your PH may fluctuate every couple of days, just as water sitting in a bucket will raise its PH, I use a no till soil grow so I didn’t have to worry too much about that, as I had buffers in my soil.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let the res run dry because that will mess up the water pressure in the line. You would then have to reset your carrots. I just add when it’s low and recheck ph. It may sway a little bit after a week or so but I’ve rarely had to adjust ph after topping off with the new nutrient mix.
Also roots will grow up above the soil toward the dripper. This is a great sign and u can easily turn the dripper so it drips in a different spot. :v:

2 Likes

I ran 3 drippers in a10 gal pot in a triangle around the plant.

2 Likes

I’ve since discovered Hempy Buckets…the irrigation system is out da window for me :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

https://overgrow.com/t/my-first-hydro-setup/40646/1

The key to keeping them from running away is not letting the carrot dry out. If the carrot dries up, and then you add water to the reservoir, it will empty the reservoir without stopping(runaway blumat). I always reset all my carrots before a trip. Or if I cannot visit the grow room for a few days. FYI

3 Likes

@Tommy_McCain true that. I think if I ever plan on an extended trip I might pick em up, but I move my plants so much for me it would be a nightmare.

I just pulled my carrots because the bed was not taking in any water.
Turned out that my dripper ms had been eaten by the soil and roots were growing up the drip lines and clogged them upZ at one carrot the roots had progressed into the main water line about 3ft.

2 Likes

:joy: I have never heard of that happening before, those feed tubes are tiny.

1 Like

I was so excited to try This system, but I am so glad that I didn’t purchase it because it wouldn’t fit into my grow style.

I am unsure how this would work for anyone who does daily garden maintenance. But for an I’m going on vacation for a week or 2, totally the shizzle.

2 Likes

Bought one but they look picky so don’t know if I’ll use it for regular watering

1 Like

What maintenance do you think they will get in the way of? Just curious.
Theyre definitely best utilized in a notill set up where you generally dont mix anything with your water.

2 Likes