Trouble making STS

Hey folks, I am worried my STS solution didn’t come out right.
The result was a clear solution after mixing the SiN and the sodiumthiosulfate pentahydrate solutions.

I thought the final solution was supposed to be cloudy, indicating a reaction?

My recipe:

g Distilled water ml
STS pentahydrate 1.2 200
Silver Nitrate 0.16 200
Silverthiosulfate Solution Mix
ml
STS pentahydrate Solution 20
Silver Nitrate Solution 20
Distilled Water 160

I made the two solutions of each chemical two days ago, and I mixed them today with the extra distilled water. The base solution have been in the dark and refrigerated since.

Thanks

Am I doing something wrong, or is this good to go?

3 Likes

The STS Process Step 1 (preparing stock solutions)
The STS solutions are mixed separately and kept that way until you are ready to use it. The stock solutions are made of two parts (A and B). Part A is always mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Only use distilled water or reverse osmosis treated water to avoid contaminants that will cause precipitates to from.

Part A: .5-gram silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water

Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

Silver nitrate will dissolve in the water in about 15 seconds, but the sodium thiosulfate will take about 45 seconds to completely dissolve. Those are your two base solutions.

Stock solutions are diluted down to a ratio of 1:9 to create the working solution. For example, 100 ml of stock STS is added to 900 ml of distilled water. This silver spray mixture is then sprayed on to the surfaces of the plant you have selected to perform your sex change on. Discard any unused solution down the drain and flush well with water.

10 Likes

I may have used a little more water in the stock solutions and less in the final soluton than you.
the ratios seem close, but i used a little more sodium thiosulfate since my has the water molecule attached. my recipe source suggested to dilute further if it is burning the plant.

it should be good still I guess. thanks @JAWS

3 Likes

if it clouds up its no good, you want a clear STS solution.

10 Likes

Exactly :+1:t3:IMG_6532

9 Likes

My recipe that I use you can half it and it still works.
Also the silver nitrate is only good for 1 year after opening the container. Found that out the hard way. Make sure you’re using unexpired chemicals.

Silver thiosulfate

1gram silver nitrate into 1000ml of distilled water let fully desolve. This will be called “part A”

5grams sodium thiosulfate into 1000ml of distilled water let fully desolve. This will be called “part B”

Pour part A into part B this is the correct way to mix them together. Then add 2000ml of distilled water into the A&B mix making a total of 4000ml. Done

2 Likes

which sodium thiosuflate do you use? one has h2o.

i can’t see any expiry or born on dates. it was just a recent order on the zon.
That sucks they expire, i can’t imagine doing more than one of these runs per year.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of silver nitrate expiring, in powder form. It will get hard, knock the bottle around. It doesn’t go bad until mixed.

1 Like

It doesn’t have an expiration date on the bottle but I mixed up a batch 2 times trying to make some fem pollen wasted 3 months for nothing. I know my way works. So I thought since there’s no expiration let me look online. Bam good for 1 year after opening. I just bought both chemicals. Less risk of time and effort with new chemicals.

1 Like

I used sodium thyosulphate pentahydrate (extra water molecule) and I used sebring’s method and it worked like a charm

2 Likes

Cover your counter-tops with something.

1 Like
2 Likes

According to Sebring it should be clear if you do it right with distilled. I asked when my turned brownish and he said that would still work and it did.

Mine was at least 2 years old. I understood he had it for even long when he sent mine.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

I watched this one and another. to get to my recipe. thanks.

1 Like