Venturi needlewheel impeller water pump

Coming from the aquarium world, I always wanted to use one of these in a hydro reservoir, but I have to grow outside and it’s too hot to keep a bucket cool. Are these practical? Is this level of aeration even desirable?

4 Likes

I don’t know that much. I have run one DWC 5 gallon bucket. But from my reading, the more air the better. But I would think you should be able to slow the pump down to slow the air intake.

How’s that pump for handling material (I’m thinking worm castings) suspended in the water?
Maybe fine particles as in a res?

Cheers
G

1 Like

It’s pretty good because it’s not a solid fan like impeller.

I’m also very used to opening a pump to clean the parts and re-starting the wheel. It’s easy.

4 Likes

I think a smaller one woulds be great, that one takes up allot of room unless it was remotely hooked up . I use a air pump meant for a pond in my reservoirs to supply dissolved oxygen. Its takes chemically added oxygen to get the roots d/o sick.

3 Likes

There are all sizes from tiny to massive. Your regular aquarium powerheads like a MaxiJet usually come with a Venturi attachment. This one is made for a protein skimmer. Protein skimmers only work in saltwater because of the difference in the surface tension of the water.

1 Like

Whoa…can I get some water with my air?

1 Like

Ya notice the visible mist? An air stone can’t create bubbles that size either. If you go on Craigslist in your area, put in a search for aquariums or protein skimmer and you can probably find one used to experiment with. Even if you take the whole skimmer and scavenge just the pump. Once the temperature is right, I plan to set up a tote or bucket with one because I have to grow outdoors. Feel free to ask me if it’s the right size or price for what you might want to do as well.

2 Likes

I’m using a needlewheel pump, I do believe there is value here. I haven’t updated it recently but check out the following thread:

I have a couple of LDOs at this point and can measure O2 saturation. I’ve seen some signs of supersaturation but I need to get some longer term data.

Some animated gifs of the sites in that thread:

1 Like

Am I able to tap an airline into the water out hose? Or would that just force water up the air line?

You’d have the air input on the suction side of the pump, it’ll create a vacuum and you get fine bubbles after being chopped by the needle wheel.

Needle wheel pumps are not efficient as pumps but they do create lots of fine bubbles. Any ultra fine bubbles will stay in suspension and, sometimes (for the ultra small bubbles), they will collapse and contribute all of the gas into solution.

2 Likes

Wouldnt the air in at the water intake of the sub pump bugger up the water pump?

1 Like

Needle wheel pumps are designed specifically to draw in water + air (venturi). You do have to meter the air flow input to some extent. It’s not really cavitation, if that’s what you’re thinking of.

Using a non-needle wheel impeller probably won’t provide much of an advantage.

2 Likes

Yes, I was worried about cavitation…very disturbing…lol…jk…gotta google that.

Are you talking about a standard submersible pump or those protien skimmers?

1 Like

Not standard. It’s the pump they use for protein skimmers to create a foam (which traps the garbage).

You can buy just the needlewheel pump or, sometimes, buy the impeller that you can use to replace a standard pump impeller. Aquarium grade stuff.

1 Like

Protein skimmers need regular maintenance and if a pump didn’t restart, it may indicate that it needs to be cleaned. I’ve seen needlewheels running with sand and pieces of plastic, algae and all kinds of other stuff in them. The MaxiJet is extremely reliable. It’s like the AK-47 of small pumps. Sicce pumps from Italy are great pumps that have great efficiency. If you wanted a cheap knockoff that still kicks bubbles the Jebao brand is an aquarium keepers choice. Some models can be plumbed in externally to save room in a reservoir. I also imagine that you could place it on a timer to coincide with when you pump water to your plants, so it doesn’t draw power 24/7 or over saturate.

Here’s a picture of a real dipshit humping a large protein skimmer. I had to work with this fuckface and dislike him to this day.

1 Like