Water: RO/rain/ground/distilled - your opinions?

I thought this was interesting.

3 Likes

Seasons don’t fear the reaper, but in the rainwater I won’t play

2 Likes

Rock on! Do what you do.:grin:

1 Like

To the west there is a manufacturing plant with an epa exemption for burning wood, wood byproduct, melamine and resin glue the ash will eat the paint off your car. To the South is a coal burning power plant there is also a fabric manufacturer that discharges a finely cut residue the company has an occupational disease named for it.i am just a little nervous about rainwater quality as the are several epa reporting stations in the are due to maintained levels of air pollution oh yeah I almost forgot the amount of tobacco grown in the area and T. M.V. if the air was better to begin with I might filter the rainwater for use

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough that my tap has no chlorine - and only 80-110 ppm. I filter it extra for the flush, but at such low ppm it’s probably overkill. I get notified when they do flush with chlorine twice a year.

1 Like

Chlorine is not such a big deal if the water is left open to air the chlorine will dissipate to the atmosphere

1 Like

I was gonna buy a reverse osmosis system, but then i found a 2-stage Bria filter that purifies water, you hook it up to the faucet and voila… Check it out…

Water comes out @ 6.0pH

6 Likes

does it create lots of waste water?

1 Like

Tell us more, what does it claim to filter out, how long do the cartridges last

1 Like

I’m failing to understand the question. Filters typically do not create waste water but the do have cartridges that must be changed out and discarded

1 Like

The system it’s got two filters sediments and pre-carbon… I know the water tastes incredibly good, and the flters must be changed every 6 months…

1 Like

Right after the faucet is shut water will continue to run for like two or three seconds, so i time my water not to waste any…

1 Like

I have a 5 stage RO filter plus a UV sterilizer. My city water is 525ppms and smells like chlorine and dirt. After passing through the filter I drink the 10-15ppm water.(probably closer to 0 but i haven’t adjusted my meter in about a year)
The filter is a max 400 gal per day. Depends on the water source. It has one inlet, and two exits, the clean purified water and another hose that is waste water. I am at about 1.5 liters per min of waste water and 1 liter per min of filtered water.

I have about 600liters of water stored in the 1100liter tank at all times.

The tank is now on a plastic pallet.

8 Likes

What a setup at least I own the same table, how much water do you go through?

1 Like

that was funny!

I am still setting up, so my water consumption varies. usually it is around 25 gallons daily. I was lazy 3 days ago and didn’t put the rubber gasket on the controller bucket and when the pump turned on the force made the hose push out thus pumping 40 gallons of fresh nutes onto the floor. so that day i went through 100gal plus

Yeah me too… LOLOLOLOLOL

3 Likes

@Uncle Al I have the black mold issue from my well water also. I think it is from high Manganese. There are filters for it, but they are expensive. I use the water anyway as other than the black build up it is pretty good: 0.15 EC 8.2 pH.
As far as I know the bacteria is harmless to humans and plants, but it will clog up fixtures in the house and irrigation systems in the garden

RO filters do waste water (about 4 gallons for each gallon they make) I think that people should try to use their own water supply first before going to RO for this reason.

3 Likes

I don’t have well water, it is city- wide

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I have the same issue with my water. The fact that my water is from a well was irrelevant.

1 Like

I really think I have a water issue.

pH balancing is always a problem.

The water comes out of the faucet extremely base and free of minerals. I am less that 1 mile from the public water supply.

I have tried the water that comes out of the dehumidifier, which is just as bad. :disappointed:

99%