WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

No. The control bucket is ground level. You want to create elevation so your buckets will drain faster and more complete into the control bucket as it’s being pumped into the main reservoir. Also, when your drain cycle completes, you’ll find that some of the nutrient solution will still be slowly finding its way to the control bucket as the roots pack the buckets and slow down the drain rate. By having your control bucket on a lower level, you eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of nutrient solution that remains in the bottom of your buckets between feedings.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-13-Gal-White-Spring-Top-Wastebasket-FG5L5806WHT/311917568

I use these because I want a small footprint and a large container.

lol…coincidentally - also Home Depot…
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-6-in-Mesh-Pot-Bucket-Lid-Insert-12-Pack-V6ML-12/301463756

4 Likes

Okay, I see now. You built your own reservoir, therefore you set the height of the Fill switch yourself.

That’s not possible with a store-bought reservoir like I have. The Fill switch is built-in. The Fill and Drain switches are pre-set.

With my Ebb&Gro controller, the fill/drain ports must be on the same plane for it to fill and drain properly.

And, as for the netpots. That’s what’s been throwing me off as I have been shopping for them. It is described as a 6 inch netpot in the title when it is really a 12 inch netpot with a net portion being 6 inches.

I am leaning towards making my own buckets BUT buying this 7-gallon controller bucket with what they’re referring to as a “Adjustable ladder level control lets you fill containers to the desired height” which will allow me to adjust for whatever bucket I’m using even if I have to buckets higher than the controller.

And, yeah…I was shopping for things just the other day and I noticed Home Depot has a Hydroponic gardening Hyperlink - a department devoted to the topic! biggrin

We’ve come a long way! biggrin party-smiley-048

Thanks so very much, @Purple-N-Hairy tup,
WHAB

4 Likes

For the record, I don’t use switches, I use digital timers to control the feed and drain pumps.

Edit: considering how much you seem to be building, I’m surprised that you bought an off-the-shelf reservoir with built in switches! :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Well, yes…but what determines the levels? Float switches, right?

confused2,
WHAB

2 Likes

Nope! The only float valve I have is in my RO reservoir tank. When I set up my grow buckets, I determined the time the feed pump takes to fill the buckets and the time it takes for the drain pump to empty the buckets and program the start and end times of both.

2 Likes

ROFLMAO

Yeah, It’s a system I bought used and got a great deal on it!

wink,
WHAB

2 Likes

Ah…that’s different! That’s an interesting way of doing things!

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on this one…primarily because of its adjustability according to the buckets one is using.

https://hydrobuilder.com/active-aqua-grow-flow-ebb-and-gro-controller-unit-w-2-pumps.html

That’s the best price I have found, btw…for anyone else looking in.

beercheer,
WHAB

2 Likes

Hey @WhiteHotAfterburner. Why not just go DWC? Seems a hell of allot more straight forward. You have the experience in hydro.
Just a thought.

1 Like

Because Ebb&Flow, Flood&Drain are systems I am used to. It’s just been so long that I don’t recall the particulars, like feeding schedules.

I know how to read a plant, generally speaking. This droopy leaf problem is one of a few things…winky

I really like the idea of those systems. Leaving plants sitting in liquid filled buckets just doesn’t sit right in my head. I am fully aware of the potential for serious trouble. Much like I am dealing with now frown

I fully understand that people are using DWC systems successfully.

Edit Add: I started out with one of these…

It didn’t go well. Heat and residual liquids sitting in the bucket was the cause.

Second Edit Add: The above is how I know how to look for algae buildup. The floaters and the odor. It’s also how I became acquainted with H020 regards to growing.

beercheer,
WHAB

2 Likes

I have to duck out for a bit.

I had planned to spend approx. 4 hours mowing the lawn but liquid sunshine has squashed those plans!

But, now I’ll switch to processing those fastener holes in the Cloning Machine II.

I do, sincerely, thank you ALL for the assistance and the discussion! tup

WHAB

2 Likes

I get it I wouldn’t want to use anything other then DWC :+1:.

1 Like

Hi @LilJonB wavy !

I’m evolving on the matter wink

Knowing I have a C.A.P Ebb&Gro bucket system now, what do I need to turn it a DWC system?

Can you help me understand what I need for the conversion, or point me in the direction of the information for a conversion?

Regards,
WHAB

1 Like

You need an airstone for every bucket. Your going to treat each bucket like you would your reservoir. Fill it up so the net pot sits in the water until you establish roots. You will need to get 6" (preferably) net pots. Then just as long as your roots are in water and you got your airstones going your in business. The feed you give I would Imagine would be the same.

Just fill her up like you would your main res.
You can get a net pot lid or a lid with a hole cut out to put a net pot in.

If you can see how the roots just sit in the water. There is a airstone underneath the roots in the bucket.

I even got a little one gallon DWC.

This one don’t have a net pot. So she keeps falling all the way in the bucket. No harm tho. Just keep the light out and she’s fine.
Very simple. No pumps (besides the air pump) and no moving parts.
Trust me very simple and straightforward. If I can do it anyone can.

3 Likes

Thank you so very much, @LilJonB !

How do you know when you need to add pH adjusted water (nutrients)?

:wave:,
WHAB

1 Like

Man, I cleaned the filters and intake port in my portable A/C the other day like I said I was going to and…

I’m gonna have to turn it down (less cool)! biggrin It was typically running in the high 70s with Lights On before I cleaned the filters and intake port.

I had to go up and make sure I didn’t raise the bulb and forgot to lower it into place - I’ve done that a couple of times.

I did not forget to lower the bulb.

smoke,
WHAB

1 Like

You check your PH daily. Until you get comfortable I’ll go 2 days before I check unless I feel they need special attention, or I’m bored. Lol. As for your nutes I truly believe it would be the same as eb n flow. Get your PPMs/EC to where you want it and keep it there. If it looks like they need more add more. If they need less add water. I recommend doing a Change out every two to three weeks at first. When you get comfortable you can do them whenever you feel like they need it. I only did two this grow and I’m almost done. The max I’ve been giving my plants this run is a EC of 2.0. Less is always better. You can work your way up till you start to see nute burn on your tips if you want to really push them.
What EC/PPM do you keep your plants? Seedlings I do 300ppm. Mid veg 600 to 700. Towards the end of veg it will be about 1000. Since I veg for 30 days I do a change out to give the flower nutes. Keeping the PPMs at 1000 and work my way up to 1200.

1 Like

I was over feeding my system using recommend dosage. It was E.C. 1.2 or so. When I did that Emergency Flush I mixed the new batch at 1/2 recommended mix - E.C. .7 (350 on 500 scale). Right now it’s sitting at E.C. of .8 (400 on 500 scale).

How do you check your pH? You pull the plant out of its bucket to check it?

Thanks again, @LilJonB ! I appreciate your help!

tup,
WHAB

1 Like

It’s not a problem man. I just hate to see you struggle.
Yeah you just pop the lid and slide it to the side.

It’s easier to grow different strains with separate buckets.

1 Like

IF you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you recirculate your nutrients? I already have a reservoir and currently recirculate.

I just bought a new Bluelab pH Pen, I can’t dip it in like you do with your pH Probe.

I, too, prefer not to struggle! winky Thank you!

tup,
WHAB

1 Like

It will reach. I had a pen. Just make sure you are in the water. My level is low right now. I’m mixing up water now to top her off.
You can make a Recirculating system. RDWC. I only have 2 bucks. Most of the time two different strains as well. It can get complicated if you have 2 different strains on the same recirculating system. If your interested in that I can find information on it. But I’m not experienced in them.

1 Like