What was so extraordinary about the GRATEFUL DEAD?

Yeah my mum has seen them here a couple times I think I’ll ask. I used to have a greatful dead sticker on my door when I was about four, so sometime around 1980 I’d say

1 Like

he was ‘dead’ on with that, eh?

2 Likes

I did ask my mum before if she took me, she had to think for a bit then said no we didn’t take you to that one. She did take me to pink floyd, the who, the stones, Chuck Berry, supertramp and van morrison among a few but probably wanted a phychedhelic Experience that night

2 Likes

all day long newb! cant get enuff of this shit! 6/7 is a fav

also partial to capitol '78 roosevelt '76 and still get a kick out of the horsby stuff from '91.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What are you listening to? 2020

I went to my only Dead show, a few months before Jerry died. Highgate VT.
So much fun had in the parking lot ahead of time.

At one point, after many hours of wandering the lot, talking to folks, smoking tons, we made it back to our little camp (3 vans of us travelling together) and I heard music starting to play…

Me: “Hey… what’s that? Should we go in now?”
Buddy… “Oh, that’s Dylan. He’s opening.”
Me: “Oh! Shit. He’s legendary. I’ve never seen him. Maybe we should go then?”
Buddy passes me another joint, while he gulps down some shrooms, just as some other interesting travellers stopped by our site with some blankets to sell and some great homemade vegetarian rice dishes… the fun and good times just rolled on.

Never did make it in to see Dylan.
Did manage to drag our asses in to see the dead though. Don’t remember too much of the band playing. But the crowds, and the spinners, and the fun. I remember a lot of that!

4 Likes

I read this yesterday morning, and thought I would share it here.

I really enjoyed the perspective of the 23 year old girl’s take on the dead.
And I agree that Ripple is a truly wonderful, and transcendentally beautiful melody…most evocative.

2 Deadheads, From 2 Generations, On ‘American Beauty’ At 50

2 Likes

Some of the best times of my life have been in parking lots :grin:

A 17 minute trip down memory lane:

4 Likes

I read this today and I felt compelled to share it.

Pulled from the article;

Without getting too bogged down in the mechanics of it all, the fact is that Garcia knew what he was doing; he wasn’t a “one scale fits all” kind of guy, and there was nothing accidental about his navigation of the fretboard. He and the band had well and truly opened their minds to the consciousness-expanding drug of jazz theory.

A fan of players like Al Di Meola and George Benson, Garcia’s delivery of the solo sections in these tunes also carries much more of a jazz feel than a rock or blues one. He doesn’t opt for muscular bends or excessive vibrato, and doesn’t flex with any large left hand stretches or quantum leaps from one end of the neck to the other.

3 Likes

I don’t wanna stick my foot in my mouth, but i wonder if the name is an ironic joke about there being 2 drummers…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

I dont really listen to TGD much, but since you mention jerrys jazz esq solos its interesting becauue jazz is so focused on the solo instrument. Jerry, you know, becoming the instrument, or the extension of the form :thinking::grin:!

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Saw my first steal-yer-face on a junior-high school buddy’s clip board in the 70’s. -had no idea. -Asked him what it was about. He said “Grateful Dead.”

I thought it was a heavy metal band. It was heavy, but it wasn’t metal.

First show was at Virginia’s Hampton Coliseum April 9, 1983.

It was fun, but I didn’t get it really until 3-shows later when I ate a hit of acid at a Grateful Dead show.

It was as though the event was made for the experience.

Wonderful sensations, fantastic lights, great music that accented my journey perfectly, and most importantly excellent and fun company.

Company that eventually, after seeing and experiencing each other over and over again at show after show, became family.

image image

image image

It’s the most recorded band in the history of the human race. No two shows the same.

The serpent that eat’s it’s own tale.

A dragon with matches.

If you don’t know, climb on board and find out.

Start with Cassady’s tale, Kesey’s story, Owsley and the pranksters.

It’s the most”American” story you’ll ever find.

Built around and born from the restlessness that makes us seek adventure, new experiences, and joy in the common company of vagabonds, jokers, thieves, and Saints.

MK-Ultra

On The Road

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

The Electric Koolaid Acid Test

6 Likes

This question/topic has been discussed ad nauseam across generations, groups, and settings. For me, they started something as the Warlocks that evolved into something greater than anything that had been seen, heard, or touched. They were renegades to an art they weren’t even trying to create. Once footing was set, they set off on a multi decade journey that saw so many genres explored, perfected, abandoned, and revisited. The following, the extensive touring, the truly organic jamming, the love for their fans, and the iconic symbolism just makes these guys special beyond special. If you don’t understand it, you may never, but it’s also all about finding your period in time. For example, I adore the 70’s, but can do without the 80’s. It’s subjective to the listener’s ear. I highly recommend the Europe 72 tour, or mid/late 70’s. Seek and ye shall find :v:t2:

3 Likes

Walking out of a show drenched with sweat, exhausted from dancing and singing and finding the hippie chicks with grilled cheese and mountain dew waiting to be scarfed down by calorie challenged Heads. The parking lot scene before and after the show will never be seen again, at least in my experience.

I miss it so…

5 Likes

9 Likes

Indeed, what was so extraordinary about these people? And for the love of all things, Why are they still following me around!!!:eyes:

1 Like

I got to see their Last show in this area, Pontiac Silverdome. And its the only Concert I’ve ever been to where nobody sat down

2 Likes

Holy crap. I just found this in an old photo album! Can’t believe I saved it!

8 Likes

I attend tons of concerts and have the stubs from most of the old ones. Here are the 90s Dead shows I attended:

8 Likes

Solo stuff, post-Dead and related:

That last one I got to shake Phil’s hand and have him autograph my copy of his book!

6 Likes