What would cause drip emitters to flow double?

Except me screwing up the math?

Decided to get off my ass and test the actual flow from my drip system today and found it was really flowing well! Too well! Exactly double the expected output :man_facepalming:… I double checked everything, didn’t find any blatant errors. So I cut the timer setting in half and got my expect output… :roll_eyes: The drippers do continue to run for 8~10s after the pump shuts off as the pressure drops but that can’t be making up the whole difference.

Drippers: 0.5gph netafim 2 per container
pump: seaflo 33 ~45psi operating

So this should give me 31.5mL/min per dripper (63mL/container/min), but I measure closer to 120.

I double checked the drippers (that they are .5gph), and that they are built to operate in this pressure range.

Has anyone experienced this?
Any ideas are appreciated :pray:

Wild stab in the dark, but maybe the pressure is to high? I recall most emitters do what they say at 25psi.

Is there a pressure regulator in play?

Ignore the 1/2" it’s all about the flow examples.

https://www.rainbird.com/products/inline-pressure-regulators

Best of success @NoCal !

:v:

7 Likes

Thanks for the idea. This is at the top of my list to try but I can’t test it until this run ends. These drippers are supposed to operate evenly from ~12-50psi. But I think this pump runs in 45-60 range.

2 Likes

even if they state they should run evenly they wont because of pressure difference, its just a specific controlled sized orifice that will flow ___ volume and a set pressure, there range is more hey they will work at this range to this range but that doesn’t mean the volume is accurate which is always a ball park or determined at a pressure likely at the midpoint of their range, were not talking fine control here for drip emitter worth a couple cents

3 Likes

Hey @Mr.Sparkle :wave:. These should be regulating the pressure for me, or at least I thought so. I forgot to mention the actual model.

I’m using these guys: https://www.netafimusa.com/bynder/487369B9-80DB-4F99-9176880E946F8AA5-pressure-compensating-drippers-product-sheet.pdf Woodpecker jr 0.5gph.

:man_shrugging: measure that 8-10sec run out till the pressure drops to stop water flow at the dripper other than that maybe possible water head pressure difference between you gauge and dripper heads where its on the north end of pressure?

2 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle Were you talking about a different type of dripper or can I expect even flow out of this pressure compensating style?

I’ll measure that extra water tomorrow but I’m guessing it can’t be more than 10-15mL.

Just checked the pump info again and its MAX psi is 45 (I thought that was the min/trigger), so the range is closer to 30-45.
Its all good w/ the on time being cut in half, but I’d like to understand whats happening.

Specs wise of what you posted they say it should be even flow over there pressure range, but I’d start by measuring that runout… But could be mislabeled emitters ???

2 Likes

Greetings @NoCal,

I have an extensive drip system in my orchard and if I fail to completely drain it using an air compressor before winter I’ve seen drippers malfunction due to freezing damage in the internal baffles that control flow. I don’t suppose that’s your problem but thought it deserved mention in case you are running outdoors.

In re-reading the thread, I still can’t tell whether you are using a pressure regulator in your system? If you aren’t, that should be your next step. As mentioned above, excess pressure is mostly likely the culprit here.

Regards,
-Grouchy

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle I checked that, I was so confused when I collected exactly 2x what I expected. Sadly they are color coded and these are indeed 0.5gph :rofl:.

Hey @GrouchyOldMan definitely not freezing in the tent! I’m putting some drippers out into the veggie garden this year so I’ll keep that in mind going into next winter :+1:.

Too much pressure is the only thing that makes sense. Hopefully everything stays buttoned together until the end of flower and I’ll test it with some pressure regulators.

Thanks for the ideas & have a great weekend!

I don’t know if yours have one but some emitters have a diaphragm in them to help regulate the GPH. Maybe it’s possible that a high psi could rupture the diaphragm and cause it to release more water flow?

Here’s an example

1 Like

Your pump has a pressure switch built in, you can reduce the operating pressure with an Allen wrench. But I think you are using an accumulator tank? If so, that basically will determine the overall pressure of your system, so try to reduce the pressure there by letting some of the air out.

2 Likes

Good morning Rocket :wave:

They do have a diaphragm inside like your picture. Pressure Compensating Drippers | On-Line Drippers | Netafim USA cool animation that shows how they work.

I have a few backups that I’ll plug in today or tomorrow and check flow rates on and see if this could be part of the problem.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @Tripl3fastaction Thanks for stoppin by!

I tried adjusting that switch to lower pressure when I was first setting this up and quickly found out you’re not really supposed to really mess w/ that allen key. I guess its set to 45psi from the factory and you can adjust it 5-10 degrees as the pump ages over the years. I had to RMA that pump :frowning: lol.

I do have a accumulator tank, just checked its set at 30~35psi. When I set that up all the advice was from the RV community and it was suggested that the accumulator tank is set to ~5psi under the cut-in pressure of the seaflo (which I think is 40). This probably works great when you’re trying to shower… maybe not for growing pot… I’ll play w/ this too!

What did you set your accumulator psi to?

2 Likes

I might have been this easy! Measured 50mL of water after the pump shut-off. If you account for this 50mL extra the emitters are doing exactly as advertised, 0.5gph. Now I just have to see if that 50mL is consistent.

Ill fine tune based off actual flow and go w/ it until harvest, then I’ll play around w/ a pressure regulator to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for the ideas & help.

2 Likes

Sorry slow response, glad to see you figured it out.
My accumulator tank is around 25psi. I have adjusted the pressure switch downward on the pump itself too, guess I’m lucky I didn’t screw it up :smile:.

1 Like

No worries man, you’ve helped me so much I’m surprised you still respond :rofl:

My current mood: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

What I learned about that pressure switch is it’s adjusting the cut in pressure but I don’t think it lowers the max? Really not sure though.

My current plan is to place a 15-20psi regulator so the delta between the emitters closing and the line pressure is less. Thinking that will really lower my runout after the pump stops.

1 Like

Just remember that the last pressurized item in your flow is the accumulator tank, so that in effect is regulating the pressure at your drippers. If you accumulator tank is set to 35psi but you are only feeding it 25psi it’s gonna mess with your flow rates, the “accumulation” part of your equation, so to speak.

Edit to say technically your pressure compensating drippers are the last pressurized thing, but you know what I mean :grin:

1 Like

Hmm maybe I’ve been going about this the wrong way…

I was thinking the accumulator tank pressure bladder just helps maintain the line pressure so you don’t get pulsing if there is high flow (like a sink faucet) but the pump will still run until the switch senses 45psi, or whatever its been adjusted to, compresses the bladder in the accumulator and then it will slowly expand as pressure drops after the pump shuts off so the pressure in the line doesn’t drop too fast?

Have you checked the pressure in your lines while everything is hooked up and running? I plumbed a T in for a gauge but took it out thinking “i’ll never need to know this again…” :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Geez now my old thc riddled mind is confused also. Lemme think about that.

I don’t know the exact pressure my system is operating at, but I suspect it’s around 30psi based on the pressure in my accumulator tank, but maybe that’s a bad assumption …

Every run I do recheck my drippers with a small measuring cup to confirm flow is somewhat consistent, then I just confirm my timer assumptions (I.e. a 1% shot takes 37 seconds, etc)

1 Like