Drip system questions

I’m finally going to install a drip system in my tent, and I have a couple of questions.

I am going to use my smart home system to create virtual timers for my pump, but I have no idea how strong of a pump I’ll need. My thought was to split the line out of the pump into 3 lines, with (6) 3 gal pots on each line. I’m not going to run it daily, but 2 times a week. I want to soak the pots with each watering.

So my questions are:

1. Is 6 pots per line ok? I don’t want the first pots to get flooded and barely have any water make it to the back pots.
  2. How strong of a pump will i need?
  3. What kind of emitters? I am thinking halo.

Thank you in advance for your help.

10 Likes

Hey @RexVegas420 welcome to OG someone will be along to advise you soon, I’m interested as I would like to build a fertigation system for coco coir grows💚

5 Likes

OK I’ll try to help out a little bit. First off watering twice a week would be fine in maybe Veg and early flower, you will need to water more often in late flower.
OK now for drip. Correct way would be something like a shurflo/seaflo pump run to a pressure regulated drip manifold, usually have 6-9 ports or so, then to the drip emitters your choice on gph.

7 Likes

Might have to experiment a bit to see what works in your setup, lot of variables. #1 can definitely be a problem. Siphoning is another thing to watch out for.

I use the cheapest pumps with 1/2" line to mainifold(s) then 1/4" to each pot with an open end or tee(s). Simple, cheap, reliable.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tips. So you can adjust the flow of water from the pump on those models? That definitely sounds like what i need. I watered 2 times a week for 20+ years and it is just fine as I use a coco/sphagnum mix to help retain moisture. I don’t really use a soil per se.

3 Likes

Welcome growmie :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome to the OG!

I’d suggest you look into blumat if you haven’t bought all the stuff yet, it’s a personal preference, have tried both ‘active’ and ‘passive’ hydroponics.

4 Likes

If you ever want to explore the Micro Octopot world, here’s an automated filler system that works well without any pumps or electricity.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

The pumps are not adjustable. What you would do is select the gph your looking for and then time your pump accordingly. A guesstimate but I’m sure you could run about 20+ drip emitters off the single pump. Can use as many or as few drip emitters as you need depending on the manifold you buy.

2 Likes

That is cool setup

Idk the technical stuff i can only tell you what I do.

My pumps are feeding up to 10 plants with 4x 4mm sites in each pot.

I use a 1500 and 2000 lph pump (cheap pumps) feeding a manifold with 4mm lines feeding each pot.

It’s cheap to make, reliable and flexible as it gets, if I can help give me a shout.

Edit… I use a 150lph or a 2000 lph not both!
It depends how many plants I’m growing.

3 Likes

Great subject. I’ve been very curious about drip system and the setups. Really looking forward to seeing all the information that’s going to show up

I use a drip system. I use an aquarium pump and black poly with twist lock connections. For the drippers, aquarium pumps cannot achieve the pressure for regular emitters. You’ll need high pressure pumps, which has a whole mess of complexity.

What I did instead was to use 1/8” line and netafim stakes with no emitters.

They look like this. Custom hydro sells them. I run 2 per pot in 2gal coco in my hybrid hempy bucket method. (I’m happy to report I’ve been using for a year now and love it).

4 Likes

Do you have a issue with clogging? With some of the emitters with narrow exit holes more cleaning or changes in nute solutions may be need.

I use this one which is more drip then spray.
https://shop.pahydroponics.com/8-plant-add-a-drip-kit-free-shipping/

Works well. I have been using GH nutes which I wasn’t dissolving fully and caused salt buildup. Easley fixed by mixing more.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with clogging from nutrients, even with running the ec at 2.7 for tomatoes. But what has been a problem on occasion is clogging from plant roots growing into the tubes.

I use some grow clean in my mix though. It has polyphosphate that helps prevent clogging.

1 Like

I use the same netafim drippers and learned to run a filter screen in between the pump and the drippers and this helps with preventing clogs.

Edit to say that my inline filter is also a pressure regulator since I use a pretty strong sump pump. It’s something to consider if you’re getting a strong flow and cannot drop drip time enough to compensate.

Also, if you are only operating a tent I would recommend going the coco and blumat route first. Just elevate a 27g black and yellow tote and put in a passive drip loop. You’ll use way less water and the coco only takes water only as it needs it

1 Like