What's Your Electric Bill?

Prior to covid, and being home way more it was most months sub 100, and some months just a little over. Now I’m consistently around $105-125. We are somewhat minimalists. I only run about 300w in HLG leds.

2 Likes

Haha I hear that mine was the ac a dehumidifier that spiked up the bill about 100$

3 Likes

$650 last month…

The plants account for maybe $200 of that, used to be $400ish, regularly. Koi Pond pump in summer and Hot Tub pump in winter don’t help it… Plus 8 x 3D printers, and my home office is not exactly electric bill friendly either.

I really gotta go solar…

7 Likes

Sounds like my ol lady wanting a hot tub a koi pond this and that I’m like yeah I just wanna grow some plants lmao and then get solar panels and then we can talk haha

2 Likes

My house is oil heat.
Before growing. My bill Never went above 80 all year round. Bungalow upstairs n finished rec room.
One baseboard heater I have never turned on.
Stove . Fridge. Lights. 50-80
HRV puts it up $30 a month during summer.
Electric oil space heater oct-april +$20-30

But running last winter jan-april had all units running. 4 lights. 3 1500 cheapo $150 LEDs and a heavier duty $250 led - 3 fans one 6"inline . 2 oscillating and 1 booster fan. And a electric space heater fan cycling on a wifi plug on10 min off 45 min …same with inline exhaust over night except maybe diff cycle shedule.

max $120 a month…this summer its been around 90 but never had the whole set up otg… Should read accurate this coming September billing as I’ll have two tents lit up and exhausting. Still doubt it will break $120.

But I pay oil bill 400 a fill 5 months of the year…

2 Likes

Its a good thing I no longer have reef tanks. I peaked at $900 one month in the summer. Multiple A/C’s, a 1/4 HP chiller, more pumps than I care to remember, and probably damn near 8000 watts of light on 12 hrs a day. Of course I was propagating coral, making money from them, but my 300g show reef had 2000 watts of light on it alone (3 x 400w MH, 2 x 440w VHO setups (8x110w bulbs)) I do miss the tanks, but not the electric bill OR the food bill! (no flakes for them, all frozen foods)…

Problem with the koi pond and hottub, I want them. LOL. Change the hottubs schedule in summer (its old, cant adjust heat anymore), so I run it for an hour at 5am. It will always heat (ugh), but by noon it feels like a warm pool in the summer. Koi pond runs 24x7 March - Nov. Hottub gets turned on regularly in late October - April. Thank god both aren’t generally running full steam together! I’d probably have to upgrade my panel / service if I ever got back into the reef tanks…

edit: Although I have a window AC in my bedroom, I think I have used it 3, maybe 4 nights this summer? Window fans a plenty though…

3 Likes

Propagating coral hmmmm sounds exquisite

Damn yeah but you know the electric provider was loving it

Solar panels pay off them selves in the long run

Deff looking into then eventually

2 Likes

I’m using room temp air going into the the tent and the hot air from the bulb into the attic. During winter I’ll disconnect the vent from the light to heat the room it’s in.

2 Likes

Then I’m assuming you have central air. If I were to vent out of the room, hot humid air will be drawn into the room, fighting against the AC and dehumidifier. The air outside the room was warmer than inside the tent for a bit. So venting into the room makes more sense.

2 Likes

I have cool air coming into the tent while the it goes through the bulb into the attic

3 Likes

I can also bring in cold air from outside into the tent as fall is approaching

3 Likes

I know people with McMansions that pay $500+/month and don’t grow anything. More than I pay lol.

Some upper crust people set their AC to 70 in summer and 75 in winter. Shit you not. Wired for 200 amp and all electric. I once lived in a basement apartment the size of a large closet and my bill was $200 in January from baseboard heating and almost no insulation and that shit was set to 60 to keep pipes from freezing.

Point is, all over the place.

4 Likes

$57 a month with central air summertime…$79 a month in wintertime with 2 Phototrons…

I used to own a 7 bedroom, 3 bathroom and 2.5 car garage in Oak Park, IL. and my electric bills were over $450 a month with 1K MH & 1K HPS grow rooms and 3 Phototrons…not to mention $17K on just property tax…

2 Likes

I set mine in my bed room at 60. I have to breathe the cold air. Love sleeping cold. I only turn it down at night like that. 78 in the summer. 60 or less the winter.

1 Like

$500+ peak summer with a 12k AC upstairs in my house, 1200w flower 12/12. 630w veg 18/6. 1/3HP chiller that runs 780w peak. 7.8k AC that runs 740w in the flower room. A 100w air pump runs 24/7 200w circulating fans and exhaust fans 24/7.

1 Like

We had our house inspection. I’m one room this winter. The termite man broke the air piping. In the part of the house I have to do it that way. I couldn’t figure out way the floor way hot all winter. This summer I have been painting and stuff. Cleaning the air vet and it was push air underneath that room. Light bill 300$ last month.

1 Like

the place i just left was around 500 a month in winter with baseboard heating and poor insulation. reason why i got out before winter. new house has been around 350 month in summer. i pray its under 350 month this winter for a change

3 Likes

Was a lotta fun, much easier than making clones of plants. LOL. Break a piece of stony coral, superglue to rubble, new coral frag! Soft corals I would cut a piece, spear it with a toothpick at the bottom, then rubberband toothpick to rubble. zoanthid polyps (one of my favs) sucked, because you just had to wait for them to spread (some spread fast, some painfully slow).

Water chemistry was the bitch, corals are super sensitive to poor water quality… Hence my total volume of over 1400 gallons (in the same, commonly plumbed system). Large volumes bring stability. (and electric bills, my heater was a 1000W aluminum wand for crying out loud!).

Prefer to spend “that” portion of the electric bill on airfare now instead, and dive in the biggest fishtank in the world :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Id love to have some of that cheap power, we get bimonthly bills.
Averages between €1,500 - €2,000 so €750 - €1000 per month. (Ireland)
I run 4 x 1k Gavita de hps for flower, 4 x 600w hps oldschool for veg, 2 x 10" extractor, 3 x 6" extractor, lots of oscillating fans, few other bits.

4 Likes

Somewhere between 250-350 for gas/electric combined in Michigan. But that’s either 2 furnaces or 2 AC units running. Depends on whether I’m in veg or flower, outside temps for whether or not I gotta run the portable AC unit, humidity and whether the dehumidifier runs or not, if the veg tent is going. I run somewhere around 1200 watts on average, 700W of LED, 8in carbon filter, 2 box fans, all the little bullshit, AC runs 5-700 when it’s actually pumping cold air

Few straight months of 18/6 gave me the 350$

4 Likes