Where have all the trichomes gone?

Stalks, fallen and/or amber trichome(s) and shreaded stuff perspective (from a grinder, right side):

2 Likes

Grow more, buy less. :grin:

6 Likes

I like those images, is there a USB microscope you or anyone can recommend?

EDIT : I have gone by the Amazon reviews and got one very very similar to the one shown above, for the princely sum of Ā£17.95. I did see one with a 5MP camera, although it was not wireless, but I didnā€™t want to spend that much on something I will be using just to check my buds with.

2 Likes

Salutations MicroDoser,

Thatā€™s the idea, although i must concede these snapshots effectively divert from genuine beauty snapshots as a result of external factors, including excessive mechanical treatment (trimming it appears).

Glad iā€™ve succeeded with my purpose of inducing curiosity based on low-tech/affordable solutions.

Youā€™ll have to decide how much trade-off is acceptable. Mine has a range marked 25x ~ 400x and Win10 happens to declare this info if i search further:

ā€œUSB2.0 Cameraā€, driver Rev. 3.12 (2006-June-20)
Vendor ID 1871, Product ID 7670

That would be from ā€œAveo Technology Corp.ā€ and iā€™ve suspected itā€™s 2 Mpx only.

Also consider that aiming for the minimal configuration leaves little margin for other considerations as the reliability of mechanical manufacturer implementation which may cause chromatic aberration, rendering it practially useless if one needs to evaluate trichome maturation colours. In addition my previous demonstrations clearly suggested that shiny trichomes (or their absence) may prove relatively less demanding technologically.

If possible get a unit with some recent driver recognized by Linux as well!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

I went with one that claims 40-1000x, 2MP like yours, and also has the little cable to plug it into a tablet or phone, which will not work with my phone because it has USB C but it does mean the microscope can be used if I get the right cable. If it does what it claims it will be very impressive for Ā£17.95 delivered. If it doesnā€™t, then no big loss.

2 Likes

Yes indeed.
I honestly cannot remember when I last purchased any cannabis. I think that it has been over thirty yearsā€¦mid ā€˜80s or so.
I have been self sufficient for a very long time.
I have friends (most of whom I introduced to growing) who grow, and supply me with samples of their recent efforts. This enables me to try some of the newfangled strains which I have not grown myself. I always have oodles of weed on hand, with many strains available for my smoking pleasure.
I do not foresee myself buying weed ever again.

Overgrowing is the key!

9 Likes

Same here, but the last time I did, it was of the lowest quality shown in the images here, it looked like the stuff you throw away after you have made some hash.

I think my microscope will be turning up today, if it does, I will be examining some of my most recent results.

I must say, it has been a while since I last looked at strains, last time there was not anything approaching the 27% that my favourite strain makes, now there are quite a few that beat it. If they are also up there with vigour, mould resistance, yield, taste, and effect it might be time to consider trying something new.

Well, as I was typing I got a knock at the door and it was my microscope!

Here is the first light imageā€¦

Here is a better one

I think I am getting close to the limits of the scopeā€¦

After seeing these images, I think I need to let my girls go a bit longer next timeā€¦

5 Likes

Salutations MicroDoser,

Great! Those pictures allow differenciation between clear, milky and amber. It also shows the hairs which come as a reward once theyā€™ve acquired colours. It may be time-consuming to capture snapshots with just the right focus but it wonā€™t be a problem zooming in provided the session is made of a sufficient of amount of samples.

These pictures suggest it should be relatively easy to identify nuisible insects, which is no luxury. If itā€™s not made of some weak particles-loaded plastic from China then the expense may happen to be a real bargain after all!

Enjoy. :+1:

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

2 Likes