How to tell if some tricomes have been removed

blasted 2or if they have been tumbled to remove tri?

You will need to take a magnifying glass, or get a macro lens for your phone, or a USB scope for your phone. They are too small to see with the naked eye.

2 Likes

And they should look just awful. Busted, smeared, crushed etc.

1 Like

i’ll try to take a picture with my loupe on my phone, but i broke the clip off and also the little LED light on it :frowning:

1 Like

Salutations TreeDawg,

A 100 ~ 400 x digital microscope is the way to go. This picture was captured using a 2 Mpx sensor:

The top row seems normal, the one below is either suggesting excessive tumble or compression, which in the later case renders visual evaluation even more difficult…

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

5 Likes

thats a nice microscope @Egzoset which model is it?

@treedawg you want to look for trichome heads… these first 3 images are 3 different buds of candyland i bought for 99/oz online, can only really spot a couple trichome heads

these pics are from my own green crack. the 2nd pic has lots of clear trichomes still, maybe from a less mature lower bud

2 Likes

There are a ton of trichome pics in this thread.

1 Like

Looking real good . Take care Mechelle x

Salutations LegalCanada,

There used to be more snapshot hints there:

[ overgrow.com/t/where-have-all-the-trichomes-gone/5712 ]
Where have all the trichomes gone?

Beware of insufficient mechanical quality as this can cause chromatic aberrations defeating the purpose, like determining colour between clear, milky and amber. Personally i consider myself lucky to have found a decent unit in some local store - an exception. 2 Mpx sensors feel border line, aim for 5 and why not WiFi (wireless) options, then also good lightning which is always essential, plus convenient X-Y precision positioning if that’s an option. Otherwise multiple snapshots are likely to be required just to get 1 picture worth posting…

1 Like

Have you found a reasonably priced scope that does all that? I have gone to a lot of trouble McGivering things together to hold my cheap USB scope, and my phone/macro lens steady while I take shots. You are not kidding that it takes a LOT of shots to get one or two decent pics!!

3 Likes

i can’t really do it on the live plants but for harvested buds i put it on a table and rest the bottom of the phone on the table and rest the scope on the weed, keeps it pretty steady :smiley:

1 Like

Salutations Larry3215,

Nah, i guess it’s a good thing i could manage with the one i got now.

Anyway lets have a look at what i had tried previously which proved being some pure disaster right from the very start:

Here’s my Celestron 44320 microscope, picking up dust somewhere, for an obvious reason shown above… Such kit was sold 128.76 $ CAD (all fees included), acquired from Khan Scope Centre (Toronto/Ontario). Pay attention to the lower-right corner cameo on its packaging box: that’s showing a mother motivating her daughter, suggesting this product was meant as a toy. Reality was even worse as mine was so cheaply built it wouldn’t have survived an encounter with a real child - and i’m gentle.

Just so the reader gets an idea how it can be deceiving. The same as “tumble weed”, after all…

Yet i still believe a handheld 2 Mpx USB2 unit is lame many years later. At least aim for 5 Mpx and a stand of some sort, with a ring of LEDs, minimally.

It’s a no-name marked “25X - 400X”, by chance the deal was fair. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Im at least slightly embarrassed to show you all this. Its for sure shade tree mechanics at best. Its ugly, and crude, but it does work. At least I didnt use any duct tape!! Thats electrical tape you see holding it together. :slight_smile:
This is a small hobby bar clamp about 12" long. The end of the bar clamp is attached to a swivel cobbled together from a small clamp on light fixture. Thats then attached to a carbon fiber tube thats about another 12" long that has another crude swivel that attaches to the swivel/holder that came with my scope.

Oh, if you look closely, you can also see part of a wood cloths pin in there somewhere :smiley:

I clamp it onto my light fixture heat sinks or the side of the tent and then bend/swivel the cam around to where I want it. I can adjust the height by bending the swivels or adjusting the bar clamp.

The only thing is, you have to have a LOT of patience to get things adjusted just so and in focus. The slightest movement messes things up. You get it positioned where you want, then look at the computer to see if its focused. Of course it wont be, so you mess with the focus ring, BUT that moves the cam out of position, so you have to start over again. Every time you touch it, you have to wait several seconds for it to stop bouncing around. I have to turn off ALL the fans, pumps, etc because they cause vibrations that mess up the pic. Even my wife walking through the house or a truck driving by on the road outside causes vibrations.

But, it does work :slight_smile:

This is the scope I have. I went through a couple of them before keeping this one. Takes fairly good pics once you get the software sorted out - which was not as easy as it should have been.

1 Like

Salutations Larry3215,

Don’t be, perhaps there could have been some focus put on the matter of lightning but the fact remains that i liked everything there was to see and read!

1 Like