Cannabis trichomes under the microscope

Trichomes

cannabis trichomes under the microscope
Photo’s Illustrated Below.

Cannabis flowers with the most mushroom-shaped trichomes pack
the biggest cannabinoid and fragrance punch, according to new
research from the University of British Columbia.

Cannabis trichomes are the appendages on the surface of cannabis flowers
that produce and hold the plant’s cannabinoids and terpenes.

While trichomes appear across the entire plant, they are primarily produced
on the flower, bract, and leaves of the cannabis plant. They have a sugary,
crystal-like appearance that will probably look familiar to many cannabis consumers.

Though you may not have known what they were, you’ve probably noticed trichomes
as the tiny hairs that cover your cannabis, giving it a crystal-like sheen and sticky feel.

What are trichomes made of?
Trichomes may be made of hairs, glandular hairs, scales, and papillae.
They grow on the appendages of plants, such as cannabis, as well as algae and lichens.

**What is the difference between trichomes and root hairs?**emphasized text
While trichome comes from the Greek word for hair, trichomes are different.
They cover different parts of the plant and serve different purposes.

Root hairs are secondary and tertiary roots that look like fine hairs.

They take in moisture and nutrients from the surrounding soil or grow
medium to feed the plant. Trichomes, on the other hand, are found on the
portions of the plant that are above ground, mostly on buds and sugar leaves.

They secrete terpenes and cannabinoids that provide pest and disease protection
for plants. Small bulbous trichome glands can even trap and confine tiny insects.
Terpenes also help the plant maintain optimal surface-level humidity so it doesn’t dry out.

Thank You for Attending My Thread & Pics

HashstasH

18 Likes

microscopy can definitely help out. So many questions can be answered with a quick look heh heh.

2 Likes

I really need to get one of these…I have a 60-100 X scope but been wanting a digital I can hook up to a PC…

Wonder if they make a 4K version!?

Alaskagrown

2 Likes

mine cost 500$ but takes 4k movies.

4 Likes

@JoeCrowe :heart_eyes:

Yeah I need me one of those!!!

3 Likes

you can make videos like this.

7 Likes

I need to get a good one too. I do have a good canon dslr but don’t have a macro lens. I’ve been looking but honestly have no idea what to get there’s so many options lol

1 Like

What kind of camera and microscope do you use?

1 Like

What are they even talking about? It’s not clear.

2 Likes

I found this cool vid on utube, real cool close ups, super clear

2 Likes

Yeah see, the Pic was from my 3rd grow. I’m fixing to start a forth. But I only had bag seeds and of the 4strains I had that I was told what strain they were when I bought it I never really could trust that the person I got it from didn’t just say the bud was what he was said. I had 1strain that I was positive about what strain it was until my 3rd grow and that when i planted some seeds that came from bud that I was told was purple punch and it came out a nice lavender purple and was super fruity with a blueberry grape punch flavor and smell. But the other was Maui waui I got in Pueblo Colorado at The Cannabis Depot that was supposed to be top shelf but it was a dark color a MN d had no smell and tasted harsh. My first grow I grew it and an unknown and it was spectacular. The smell was like it would smell if you shoved pineapples up your nose. And the taste was the same very sweet and tasted like I was eating pineapple. So I invested in a handheld microscope fie checking the maturity of the trichs. But trying to hold that thing steady or even using the stand was hard and every time you adjusted the focus it would get moved out of position so I usedy phone on some pics. And at the time I had a galaxy s20fe 5g I got a s22ultra soon after just before I harvested but I ended up with almost 3lbs of bud from 4plants in a 4x4 and a purple punch that isi has in a 2x2 that I had in a small 5gallon tote that only contributed 3or 4ozs to the final yeild. I was very surprised that I was able get that big of yeild since I had no help and didn’t know about a lot of the forums yet and only learned by reading articles from ilgm and royal queens seeds and grow diaries and a few other websites. I spent a lot of my ney buying equipment that was not powerful enough or junk and had to do a lot of returns. But I got two tents and 3 lights for free from Amazon. But I plan on getting a microscope like the one you got there. Looks much easier to use.

1 Like

I broke down and got one of these. Wish I had earlier as it’s good for trichomes and looking for predator mites in the soil and if you think you have a borg or any other issues this type will make it easy as pie to see. There seems to be a slightly newer version but a few $$ more. This one does all I need including being able to see nematodes in water drops fresh delivery to verify what percentage seem to be alive and viable.