10 year old seeds

What do you think the viability of these 10 year old seeds is(unknown storage)? They all look pretty old and white. My buddy gave them to me because I have to start over due to moving. Upon giving one of the seeds a slight squeeze it was obviously old and not going to grow(la blancha). The rest I’m just going to paper towel and see if anything happens. Hoping a few pop, since my other genetics are slim.( Few rare bag seeds).

10 Likes

The biggest variable (assuming the genetics are OK) is how they were stored.
I got about 40% germ rate on 13 year old seeds I recently popped (I think I could have gotten higher).
I’d suggest sterilizing and soaking with a H2O2 solution. One Oz of 3% H2O2 per pint of water will do it.

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Best of luck I’ve got some old seed I’m playing with also scuff the seed with sand paper first
I mix the same proportion as @Gpaw of Hydrogen peroxide Some say to use distilled water I don’t I like to use the tapwater at room temperature

9 Likes

I have seeds from the late 70s, say around 78 79. That have a 80%germ rate. They were stored in a fridge. And have been grown out as of last year, and will continue… its really how they are stored.

11 Likes

I’ll definitely use the H2O2 method. That’s good advice. I’ve heard people using seltzer water also. I dunno exactly why other than it has carbon dioxide. Maybe that had something to do with cloning.

Also scarifying the seeds is a good idea too! There are many prairie seeds that require that for higher and quicker germination.

What do you think the max time to soak them is?

2 Likes

I don’t think these were fridged, but kept indoors, in a climate controlled space. The la blancha is definitely not viable as the shell just crushed with slight pressure. I have no desire to squeeze any others if there’s any chance they’ll still grow. They are all white compared to the healthy looking beans I’ve had in the past. I’ve definitely had some white ones that I thought would never germ that surprised me.

4 Likes

I would soak 24 to 36 hours no more then paper towels in a worm dark place till sprout

3 Likes

Another trick is freeze them for a couple days prior to soaking .

14 Likes

That sounds like most prairie seeds we deal with too! Awesome advice!

4 Likes

This is the best advice so far, right here
Sage advice

9 Likes

Can’t stress it enough they need cold cold storage for that xtra nitro.

10 Likes

I’ve had good success storing in the freezer just did some 2014 Jamaican at least 80/85 % success and that’s not totally correct the ones that didn’t pop were immature 10/15 % I might of had 3 that looked like they should but didn’t.

7 Likes

I’ve heard GBA3 can activate old seeds. Never tried it.

3 Likes

I put my older seeds in a old empty pill bottle with some sand paper and shake em around for a couple of minuets

Peace out and stay safe

4 Likes

A lot of my old school seeds are from 2000-2006 which were stored in a fridge and so far I have a high percentage of them sprout in the paper towel method…

8 Likes

Nice selection, hope you get some great plants out of them, helps keep old school genetics in the community.

5 Likes