2023 "Field of Dreams"

It sure did! Like I mentioned earlier, for whatever reason the No-Till Solutions brand mix did great compared to the Build-A-Soil branded mix. I used BAS for the beds because that went down first, it’s still not as lush as the 50 gallon bags I did a week later with the NTS. Could be the small amount of wind protection, who knows. The veggie beds and cannabis bags have all been treated the same, ammended the same to this point.

Very lightly watered last night so things are going to be drier than my average comfort level tonight. We aren’t supposed to get rain for more than a week so it’s time for the full-strength compost tea that I’ll feed tomorrow morning as the sun comes up. I’ve been trying to maintain a “slightly moist feel” when I stick my finger way down into things, it’s getting hot fast here - 90s yesterday. I worry I can’t go 2 full days without adding water of any kind, so I do this sprinkle watering in the evenings to keep the top at that level. I must say the cover crop helps a ton in the grow bags, which is much lusher than the veggie beds.

Went out this morning and started it up. Same recipe as planned:

20 gallons water (been bubbling/pumped 24 hours)
8 cups of the best EWC I could find in my state
~0.8 cups of sucanat
~0.4 cups of GEM Fish Hydrolysate
~0.4 cups of Age Old Kelp Extract

Tomorrow morning around this time I’ll head out and dump in some Rootwise Mycrobe Complete and was considering adding some more (2 cups more) of the GEM Fish Hydrolysate before I dispense it to the plants. The extra 2 cups would bring it to the low side of the recommended dilution (30mL/gallon) my logic being NOT that I want to fertilize, but to provide my microbe-packed tea plenty of starter food. I’ve innoculated the soil to some level with the earlier batch of compost tea and mykos dusting during transplant but I am considering this to be the principal innoculation application - I’ve got a healthy cover crop and plants to support the ecosystem better now. I’m not opposed to calling adding more fish a dumb idea and not doing it, but I’m always trying to make things better, you guys know how it goes.

It’s entirely possible that logic is terrible. In fact, it’s almost likely. My brain is mud after two weeks of work that have basically been as scatter-brained and disorganized as possible. Bunch of issues out of my control popping up and requiring immediate solutions. I try to just go with the flow but there’s no doubt some stress that creeps in. Let’s just say I’m ready for the long weekend.

Anyway, can anyone let me know if my adding 2 cups of the GEM Fish tomorrow, just prior to application is a good idea, useless idea, or bad idea? Obviously, I need an answer before tomorrow morning.

Here’s a link if it helps: Organic Fertilizer | Organic Gardening | Liquid Fertilizer

Have a great day, and I appreciate any input!

3 Likes