Az growers, share your desert grows here?

Been noticing quite a few of other az growers in the community, figured we deserve our own room to share our grows and knowledge of growing under that good ole AZ sun! If your in the state, check in, pull up a chair, post some pics and let’s have our smoke…growing circle!

29 Likes

If you’re in the valley our weather is a big challenge. I did a couple autos outdoors last spring feb-may. One was in the dirt other one was in an octopot.

6 Likes

Mohave county for me in the corner by NV and Cali, use a greenhouse with swamp cooler to protect from elements

9 Likes

Gonna watch just because I lived 40 years in AZ. Grew up outside Phoenix, will be fun to see the grows.

Left just before legality.

:smiley::+1:

3 Likes

Hello AZ peeps, Yavapai county here. Had several plants all over 7ft tall this past summer season that did well outdoors in fabric pots. I had some planted early March-April that were large and hardy and didn’t have any issues with the full June-July triple digit weather. However, a few that were planted mid May had to be placed in the shade during the afternoon as they were much younger and had gotten scorched during a couple days of full sun. All but one did eventually bounce back very well surprisingly.

7 Likes

Mesa here. How goes it?

6 Likes

Great info! I ended up vegging my plants indoors this year starting a grow in may, plants outgrew the indoor space and put em out in my greenhouse mid July to only have my swamp cooler motor fail 2 weeks later on watering morning after a night of partying in Laughlin, didn’t make it out till about noon and everything was cooked. Managed to save 12/25 of em moving em back indoors for 5 more weeks babying em back to health then put em back out there Sept first to flower out out which I harvested Halloween averaging 2-3oz a plant. After the “meltdown” I started seeds that week not expecting to be able to save anything and vegged that round till oct 15 and Halloween trying to split up my harvest and thats what I still have standing out there currently, 9 plants will be 9 weeks Friday and the other 26 are 7 weeks Friday, could prob harvest the first 9 but been lazy and already got a couple lb of dry/cured smoke

• Loft is 6ft tall and the beam on the sidewalls are 4ft tall

Currently cultivars in flower, first 9 are 2 weeks ahead of the rest

Panama red
Oklahoma oil strike
Apple gushers
Chocolate hashberry x blackberry
Watermelon lemonade
Eagle berry
Mango creamsicle
Og cake
Skywalker x Butterscotch og
Strawnana x sunset sherbet
Spirit train f2
Gushers pie
Giving tree s1
The shit that killed Elvis
Acai cookies
Banana sherbet x kush mints
Tropicana x banana og
Love missile R715
Platinum grape frosting
White truffles x pancakes
Strawberry banana x candyland
Guava dubstar
Northern lights #5
Green queen x querkle
Grapeade
Blueberry x vanilla frosting
(9) old world Pakistan

18 Likes

Did u have to do any supplemental light to keep plants awake and continuing to veg? I want to run a summer grow this year 100% in the greenhouse but being able to time it right to keep em in veg is my biggest concern, got the temp issues dialed in now and would prob be using 30 gallon fabric pots from Gardzenonline.com

3 Likes

Wow that’s quite a variety going! I did not provide any supplemental lighting. The first few plants were started on 3/7/21 in the greenhouse and did very well despite the days still being <12 hours daylight. Days start getting longer March 16th but I don’t think the seedlings really cared. Even the temp swings we had from low 30s’ to low 60’s didn’t appear to be a problem although I did have a small oil based radiator going at night that kept temps about 5-10 degrees warmer than outside.

I also am thinking of doing a summer run 100% in the greenhouse mainly to try and avoid issues with caterpillars. These buggers caught me off guard this past year and devastated most of the crop. I’ve read of spraying BT preemptively so I may consider that but not when everything is flowering.

Looking forward to following your grow.

1 Like

Haha ya I like variety! Already got 23 flavors between photos and autos down and jarred plus these all coming in, I’m a happy camper this year with more flavors than Baskin Robbins haha hmm that interesting, I was thinking I was gonna have to wait till may but if u were able to get em to veg in March/ April then I’ll have to attempt it as well. Low temps aren’t ever a concern since we only see about 2 weeks of frost around new years a year. We had the 37 degree night with wind blowing the other night and never turned off my fans that night and plants seemed unphased by it. I think our only real enemy is wind which greenhouse protects from and heat. That sux u had catapillar issues, I did too when they were indoors in veg, moths were coming in the windows and making their nests on my leaves, treated with the spinosad insect super soap and bt about a week before I threw em out in the greenhouse to flower and was just fine till harvest. Bt is still fine to use till few days before harvest but I’m in the same boat and dont want to spray anything on my buds once they are formed, I also wash my buds harvesting too

2 Likes

https://rainsciencegrowbags.com/shop/ols/products/eclipse-solar-shield-soil-protectors

Have any of you tried out any of these to protect roots from the heat?

Interesting, haven’t seen these before. One thing I won’t do again this coming year is use straw as a mulch. It kept the moisture too well and when I went to top dress I found loads of maggots in the top portion of soil. After removing all the straw though I did not notice any negative effects of leaving the top layer exposed to the sun for the remainder of the grow. This is using 7 & 10 gal fabric pots with a 50/50 blend of coco/compost and dry organic amendments.

I just came across em today, def gonna order a set and give em a try, anything that helps keep the sun from hammering the roots is ok by me. I have always ran straight potting soil without a mulch layer though. That’s an interesting blend, no lava rock or perlite??? I went with 10 gallon on my grow and did good but to try to run a summer huge plant run I’m not gonna do anything less than 20 gallon, prob will run 30s, got my next runs soil already cooking

3 Likes

Super happy to be here. It’s cold in the desert but these girls are hanging on

7 Likes

U got that right, walls of my greenhouse were fogged with condensate this morning! Only 8 more days to go!!!

I used some perlite in a few batches I mixed up and then didn’t use it once I ran out and I personally didn’t notice much difference. I’m really liking the coco as it holds moisture well and also drains really well.

This was in a 30 gal fabric pot. I’m planning to keep all my grows small this coming season for several reasons but if I were to start vegging in March-April again I wouldn’t use less than 30 gal container. I had this one originally in a 15 gal pot and those harsh gusts of winds just knocked her right over.

11 Likes

Coco should be a replacement for peat moss or vermiculite for water retention, not so much for drainage and aeration. I’m getting away from peat and going to Coco in my soil, tired of the hydrofoil with peat making it tougher to have my soil soak in water when it dries making it splash or run back out my fabric pots. This last grow I’ve had to completely saturate water my plants the day before a compost tea feeding and make a ring around the trunk so the tea won’t actually go to waste and will water in properly.
My complaint with perlite is it blows all over and breaks down to nothing/dust. I’ve switched to red lava now and happy with the change.
Wind is def one of our biggest threats out here, wouldn’t even attempt running out door for that main reason and glad I have the greenhouse for that element

3 Likes

So I am down in Cochise county this is my first grow. Hopeing to keep them in veg a long time, then put them in my greenhouse in march.

5 Likes

Those are looking nice. So you’ve got these going indoors right now and are going to move them outside to the greenhouse in March? That’s some serious veg time.

1 Like

I did swap out the peat for the coco for similar reasons. I have heard good things about lava rock and the one in particular that was recommended had a specific name that I can no longer recall. Where do you source your red lava rock and is it a specific size? I see a bunch of different options on Amazon.

1 Like