2023 "Field of Dreams"

I think I’m close to dialing in an elemental sulfur and pyrethrins mix but obviously can’t be used in flower. I’m too dumb to try the JADAM but you smart folks should definitely give it a go.

Don’t want to bring any bad energy just before adjusting feeding id look them over real good for round spots with grey in the middle on the leaves.

4 Likes

Thanks @Nitt! I listened to YouTube videos about it on the way to work. Wish I could get a small bottle to try rather than make 10L of it to use at 100:1 dilution ratio. Certainly seems interesting, I’m going to order the JADAM books. Probably lots to absorb in there, and people have very high opinions on the content. What I haven’t discovered is really what the cons are to using it. More digging tonight :nerd_face: HOCl is another rabbit hole to dive down I’ve only seen mentioned but haven’t taken much notice of. Yet.

@shade it sounds pretty easy. Most of the videos on the subject are videos of it being made. But I don’t know much about it yet. Sulfur and pyrethrin sounds like a good idea for insects, how’s that working?

Do you see something I don’t? Septoria? I know it can make yellow leaves but I figured the uniformity of yellowing (haven’t noticed spots but haven’t looked for them either) pretty clearly pointed to being a little hungry for N. I’m probably just being meticulous but I’ve made it this far trying to keep em happy all the way to chop day. I’ll examine them looking for spots or indication of K deficiency (thanks for the pointer @Ottafish).

@MissinBissin hopefully each year I keep making these steps forward in the garden. It’s sure been some strides this year. Appreciate all the support, help, banter and cheering on :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Septoria was what I was thinking, you seem much less at risk but I remembered that clone that died came from the same source mine that had/got it did. For me it happened with those dropping leaves then some dots then variegation then it looked fine but stopped feeding and maturing. Like I said just keep an eye it’s probably not that.

2 Likes

I see nothing wrong with your plants at all. It’s natural for the leaves to start senescence starting with the older leaves first. They may be a little hungry, but I wouldn’t get paranoid about it. I don’t see any sign of Septoria. As you probably already know, Septoria is really easy to spot. It always has brown/black circles with a yellow halo around them:

You have beautiful plants.

4 Likes

That sounds and looks horrific.

4 Likes

The JADAM sulfur is something I’d really like to have/try.

As for the HOCl…
I think it was @CanuckistanPete who mentioned that he sprayed his outdoor plants with it, for pm: Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite - #711 by CanuckistanPete
-Also just found this on OG (haven’t read it, first time seeing it I think): Hypochlorous Acid......a Deep Dive
-This might be relevant to you, being an organic gardener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUX2ezS2O8A
-Many horticulture products, several specifically marketed towards “cannabis growers” are hypochlorous acid. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT3TF4wBmE
Plenty more videos and literature about it. @BudBusterPro’s thread looks like a good read.
-Hypochlorous Company Will probably be able to answer most questions you have about HOCl. By the way, they make an “additive” that is a proprietary mix of salt and acid ph buffer that makes a specific ppm of HOCl when added to a specific volume of water and offers a more stable (longer shelf life) end product, and I think is also FDA approved or something. Eg: Multi-Use Station1 Organic Additive – TryHypo. Their FAQ is good, too.

Anecdote from my recent experience with it.
I have bags of various organic products from when I made an order from kelp4less years ago. I grow synthetic though. A few weeks ago, I got the itch to use something in addition, just in one res (20gallon). You know how it is, when you have bottles/bags of stuff you don’t use; you wanna use them. So I added some fulvic acid powder, and amino acid powder (I think that’s all) to my new res batch. Several days after, I noticed some of that “clear” floating stuff in the res that appeared to be some bio film or something. Possibly it started to build up in the black tubing that leads to my “8 way irrigation heads”, and when the pump turns off, it flushes back into the res through the pump. Though it could have additionally built up in the res itself maybe.
Anyway, I started adding hypochlorous acid to the res, pretty nonchalantly - just eyeing it. Pouring from my spray bottle into the res. I don’t have any info on amount or frequency, unfortunately. But anyway, I just kept things going as usual (irrigation wise) and was adding this stuff for a while, and when the res got to the last liter or so, if there was any “stuff” floating in the solution, I would just throw that last little bit away. But before that point the pump was definitely sending bits of the floaty crap through the various irrigation tubing.
It might have been a week in total, maybe less though, and then the bio film was just gone. Not a trace remaining, and hasn’t returned since even though I haven’t been putting more HOCl in the res. No more occurrences in the res, none on pumps/pump cord, tubing, nothing. No visible negative effect on the plants (ie: nothing I can tell). This was in maybe week…5 or 6 maybe. First time with this variety, first time sealed room/co2, and new light, but the only issue I’ve had so far is the same one I often have that looks like a potassium deficiency (duno what from exactly). Some of the largest top colas I’ve grown, personally. Not attributing that to anything in particular though, just saying.

I always fully disassemble my water pumps (after seeing what builds up in them even if you rinse them and spray through their internal after every single use about 6-12 months ago). Now I remove any of those stupid back “covers” and unnecessary “bases” from pumps as well. And now I spray practically everything with HOCl, because why not? It’s so cheap, haha.

Anyways, I’m babbling now. Sorry for the long winded post.

Edit: I said FDA and that should be EPA I think.

2 Likes

Yup, you’ve got a ‘beautiful’ case of Alternaria. It usually starts in the lower foliage and randomly spreads up the plant. It will defoliate your plants given enough time…

Hypochlorous acid will organically and effectively control THIS DISEASE.

Amazon.com: Hypochlorous Acid 500PPM (1 Gallon Jug) For Cleaning (Dental & Medical Professionals). All Natural HOCL Surface Cleaner For ULV Fogging Machines (Foggers) | Made In USA : Health & Household

This is about the best value I’ve seen. Apply it at full strength and be sure to wet down your complete plant…

Hope you can treat it soon…

3 Likes

That’s not my plant. I grow indoors. I was showing Field Effect an example of what Septoria looks like with a picture from the internet.

3 Likes

Sorry, my bad. Septoria and Alternaria can both be effectively controlled with hypochlorous acid…
Thanks Bob

6 Likes

Well, 907 hasn’t had a pleasure this week of the rain.

We lost some. Clipped anything that looked even remotely infected, tiny little caterpillars. Must be because I didn’t spray BT this week. Did spot a few dead ones but not before they did their damage.

Went through all the colas kinda bending them apart and looking all over. Went through IBG as well, she’s got a lot more breathing room she was totally clear. Panalawi is on her own I can’t even reach most of her, and she’s just starting anyway.

907 post-tumor removal operation:

IBG:

Panalawi:

14 Likes

Yeah those little bastards! I have them too. Sprayed last night. I wonder if Spinosad works better? I heard the caterpillars are harder to kill when they get bigger with the BT. Maybe spraying both would be better. I just don’t want to kill all the bees. I don’t think it would have much of an impact on them as long as I spray right before dark.

2 Likes

I think it’s the nuclear option here this evening, spinosad indeed.

Follow up with BT routine Sunday and every subsequent 3 days, back to the routine rain or shine

3 Likes

I’ve only seen one so far this year. I killed it while it small. Panalawi like 10 foot? IBG looks awesome. 907 getting ready for chop?

1 Like

I haven’t seen any issue using spinosad on the gauntlet. In fact everytime I feed they are buzzing around my 2 gallon jugs “bees”. I think they like the TPS Signal.

1 Like

Have you tried mixing Bt heavy? I only spray about 3 times total,but I put 4 oz to a gal.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure she’s taller than 10’ now @ColeLennon. On Wednesday night we had a wild downburst for 30 minutes, sounded like hail on our roof and I thought for sure there’s damage, especially to her, towering beyond any support I can provide. I left the house ~4am for work Thursday and wasn’t able to check on them until Friday morning. No storm damage to anything. Although the shitterpillars and the rain have conspired to ruin some 907 buds. Little bastards. Applied the Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew (Spinosad) last night in the last few minutes of dusk to all 3 plants, label rate 15mL per L. I’ll apply BT again and get on that train spraying every 3 days rain or shine. But the spinosad should cover me for a few days and I want everything dead before the BT routine fires back up again. I think I had this issue because I stopped spraying due to the intermittent rain last week. Little fuckers had just a few day window and they took it. NOT AGAIN. :skull:

@Hashpants I haven’t tried BT at heavier rates, I learned back in late June to respect labels/application rates and frequency. Does it work better? I thought quantity was relatively unimportant it was just thorough coverage that mattered most. I’m following the instructions at 5mL per liter. Here’s a link to my earlier IPM mistep: Over Applied Neem and Burned my Shit

@Ottafish the local grow shop told me not to mix them. I don’t understand why but that’s what they said. I picked up a jug of Insect Frass LABS Ferment I was cautioned that this would rapidly increase the breakdown of my organic matter and to lean towards 1/4-1/2 the low-side of the application rate until I see how things react. He said he applied the low-side and noticed N toxicity the next day. So maybe this helps in several ways, particularly releasing lots of the nutrients the plants need now, especially Panalawi. So I’ll apply a dose this morning, 1/4 low-side recommendation and we’ll see how they look Sunday. And the chitin. That should help too, terpenes and resiliance.

Regarding ripeness, the IBG is leading the pack and seems to have about 50% darkened pistils. It doesn’t look like scope time yet, although maybe this morning I’ll bring a nug in and check. 907 still has mostly white pistils and I think at least a month on the clock. That’s consistent with what @LD50 observed, she wanted to keep flowering longer than expected. They are CHONKER colas. Jeez, peeling them apart yesterday was a chore I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’m kinda surprised I didn’t find more rot than I did.

Today I’m going to do some pollination. I’m going to dust a Panalawi branch with Zamdelica Express Auto pollen from @Morde and some 907 Blue Genes lowers with NL1 and Black Domina x TKNL5Haze pollen from @Klyphman. Thanks again to those generous folks. I think this is my last pollination window with good probability of sucess so the timing of receiving the pollen is perfect. I’m not even worried about frost until end-October, so 6-7 weeks left on the clock today basically. I’ll let the lowers keep going even if the tops are ripe and harvested for the seeds.

Pics later. Have a great morning guys.

9 Likes

These are good problems to have :rofl: :+1:

I just got my generator and have been loving the results outside! I still need to do some heavy defoliation but seriously this stuff just :stop_sign: the PM in it’s tracks!

The garden looks sooooo good @FieldEffect :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking more of alternating them every 3 days. Maybe that’s still considered mixing? I got 15ml written down for the dosage for the Monteray BT. I thought I got that off the label. It probably varies brand to brand. I kinda think I may need a fresh bottle. Mine is from last year and has been sitting in the warm garage which isn’t supposed to be good for it. Off to go for a morning elk hunt boys. I need a freezer full of meat!

4 Likes

Just my 2 cents,you can mix Bt extra strong.It is just the bacteria to prevent caterpillars and a carrier like watered down syrup. I personally use a half cup to a gallon.It won’t affect the plants at all.I have heard they have to eat it for it to work,but I have sprayed cabbages heavily when they start to form and 3 weeks later seen eggs laid on there turn black and never hatch. Two seasons ago I lost alot due to caterpillars, last season I started spraying and since ,no caterpillars.

4 Likes

Thanks @Pigeonman!

@Ottafish and @Hashpants my bottle of Monterey BT Concentrate specifies 2oz per 3 gallons, which is equivalent to about 5mL per L. I’ll consider upping the strength a bit and see what happens.

Good luck on your hunt!

Also watered with some frass ferment water at 1/4 the lowest suggested rate. 1oz per 4 gallons. Holy smokes that’s some strong stuff. The smell makes Alaska fish smell like a perfume. Gut turning. We shall see but didn’t quite expect the strength of the odor there.

Pollination complete :sunglasses: I think just in the nick of time. Thank you so much for the donors, @Morde @SHSC-1 @Klyphman ! Much appreciated.

Field of Dreams dawn smoke spot view:

18 Likes