7th Inning Stretch.....Everything you wanted to know about stretch and more

Is there a part of the day cycle from flip to say day 14/21 , that stretch is more prominent ie first 3 hours , or during the middle of the day , or does it just continue evenish throughout the whole day ?
Anybody do any time lapse videos to see ?

1 Like

I read this seriously and did not understand.
Smoked a couple and re-read it…got a good laugh.
I assume you were not serious right?

1 Like

A time laps would be the thing to watch and see…
I think that most stretch happens at night.
I am not really sure to be honest, so good question.
But the time laps would surely reveal the truth.

1 Like

While you flipping guys are here. What would a good stretch on these be? Day two of flip.

There is a mars hydro sfw 2000 in a4x4 and I will be adding a second one in a few days. Do you think that adding that second one will be good for flowering?

1 Like

@shag does that then imply that a plant in veg , growen in 18/6 will have more node distance than the same plant growen under 24/0 ? Or do you have to go over 6 h dark for that to take affect , so the plant stretches for the last six hours of dark on 12/12 mainly ? So if we then slightly raise or lower temps in last 6 hours of lights out we could help control stretch maybe ? This affect probably runs into part of lights on as plant slowly wakens from receiving light , so maybe the first couple of hours lights on gives us another window to control stretch
Like raise temps the last 6 hours of dark and lower temps for the first 3 of lights on
Sorry lol I love to visualise : )
Far red effects stretch , so does uvb also have effect if used in first couple of weeks from flip ?

Haha waaaaay too early in the morning for all these questions , I’ll put the joint down
: )

2 Likes

Raising the night time temps is a good start.

I dunno if that specifically will change things but I love a good experiment… :thinking:

The effect we see from blue light is due to the lack of red and far red.
You could add a ton of blue light, but if the ratio of red to far red is what will be causing the stretch.

While true, this can be affected by outside factors.
Take the same stretchy genetics and subject a clone to the proper environment and it may stretch less than her sister in a natural environment.

So you can take a stretchy cultivar and make it grow with closer internode spacing.
Within reason of course.

1 Like

I was thinkin’ bout this…
Forgive me if I overstep here.
But I feel this may be costing you in the yield department.

Once a plant gets deficient in flower even in the initial weeks I feel your yield will be decreased.

My 2 cents, I hope I am not overstepping with this advice. :heart_eyes:
Although I think others here may agree.

Peace
shag

4 Likes

Nah it’s all good man.

I’m not talking serious deficiency, just an ugly tip or a yellow leaf.

I try to let my plants tell me what they want and then I respond.

It’s a sacrifice of leaves that I would eventually defoliate anyway.

I’ve never had reason to complain about yield except that one time or two :joy: I’ve had some mega failures. But I’ve never had cause to question yields of my successful grows.

It’s always a balance and I figure the plant is smarter than me.

2 Likes

Studies show Relatively cool morning temps later in flower or fruiting increases anthocyanins.

1 Like

Blue light oxidizes auxin…

Come on dude you should’ve broke free from the old bro science by now. You gotta mix in some real facts here and there. The 50% rule is pretty popular.

It’s 2022 shaggy. Time to retire the empty babbling. Overgrow is much more accepting of the neo broscience than your old stomping grounds, the traditionalist canonical orthodox broscientists at IC.

What exactly are you referring to as Bro science?

As you saying there are no facts here?

Pretty popular?
Hummmm?
I have never heard of such a thing myself, please elaborate on this topic, please.

What are you refering to here…you seem to be the one doing all the empty babbling here…LOL :star_struck:

You speak in riddles.
Could you take the time to explain yourself here?
To me it seems like empty babbling as you would say.

What exactly are you talking about?
You need to be more clear.

Peace
Shag

2 Likes

“You’re the best I’m the worst
You were right I was wrong
You’re very good looking
I’m not attractive.”

This is how the apology should look but you won’t get :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Find that using “sidelighting” really helps with shortening lateral growth - use it offten - use 12by12 led (full cycle) panels going to get 2 red for flower and 2 blue to use in veg - once one understands use of sidelighting you don’t have to use it all the times, just at certan growth cycles/weeks. and would say they increase yields

3 Likes

I must respectfully disagree here, the info I have posted is real proven science.
Folks should at least try an experiment before they say what works and what does not.
How would ya know otherwise?

Why do you say this?
How do you know?
Have you ever tried just blue light on your plants?
Have you ever tried just red light on your plants?

It will make a significant difference in plant height.
I guess the word significant can be subjective so there is that factor.

While genetics do play a part, it is certainly not all about genetics.

The info I have laid out here is proven scientifically to reduce stretch.

Go ahead and say “Meh” if you want to, but the science on this topic is sound.

This is probably an example of low P keeping stretch to a min.

Peace
Shag

2 Likes

I have used veg fixtures for flower and bloom fixtures for veg, within reason, and I saw no discernible difference. Unscientific, but there it is.

2 Likes

It is important to note that auxin is not typically “oxidized” by blue light. Oxidation is a chemical process that involves the loss of electrons from a molecule, and it is not clear how blue light could cause such a reaction in auxin.

Not really a true blue light or a true red light most likely a mix of the 2 one stronger in red and one stronger in blue.

Try a blue light with no red at all, or a red light with no blue at all and you may just see a significant difference in plant height.

1 Like

Yes that’s true.

But who cares? What’s the goal? To make short plants lanky? Why not just get some lanky genetics.

Whether it’s true or not is less relevant than what’s the point?

1 Like

I have seen blue light make a discernible difference in a plant/bud making it leafier and I have seen red light make a plant/bud less leafy many times in anecdotal experiments.

Also, I did see a discernible less yield using blue light compared to a greater yield when using red for flowering.

Kinda scientific, but I have no side by side as a comparison.

2 Likes