Different types of plant stress, 1:(LAR), 2:(SAR), 3:(SGS), 4:(ISR), 5:(SWR)

Induced Resistance

1. There is a diverse array of signals that stimulate IR.
  2. IR is a sensitization process that primes the plant for more rapid deployment of defenses.
  3. When integrated into good agricultural practices, IR can both enhance plant productivity and resistance to disease.
  4. Has energetic costs

Types of induced resistance

1. Local acquired resistance (LAR)
  2. Systemic acquired resistance (SAR)
  3. Systemic gene silencing (SGS)
  4. Induced systemic resistance (ISR)
  5. Systemic wounding response (SWR)

Systemic Acquired Resistance

1. Controlled by salicylic acid (SA)
  2. Broad resistance
  3. More durable
  4. Classically effective against biotrophic pathogens
  5. Relies on the plants endogenous defenses

More on induced resistance?

When a plant is inoculated with a pathogen, and after a time interval is subjected to a secondary (ā€œchallengeā€) inoculation, reduced disease symptoms develop, i.e. the induced plant becomes more resistant than the normal, non-induced plant.

Ongoing scientific research suggests that using more than one method of activating SAR may employ all three of the plants transduction pathways and amplify the plantā€™s ability to resist pests and accelerate growth with reduced fertilizer and pesticide inputs.

It has often been suggested that disease resistance is associated with fitness costs
and that plants have evolved inducible defense mechanisms because it is too costly
to have defense responses switched on all the time

Stress never ā€œhelps the plantā€ but it redirects energy otherwise used for growth towards inducible defense mechanisms (AKA secondary metabolite production like cannabinoids and terpenoids) and that may "help the plant."

If that is your end goal.

If you choose the right component in the right amount at the right time you will boost even a resistant strains immune system to be even more resilient to mold ect.

Different amounts at different times have different effects.

Sometime things are geared for pest resistance, some time they are geared for an immune response, sometime things are geared for pest elimination.

You have to be careful not to trigger the wrong thing at the wrong time or you can end up with a stunted plant.
It really is a simple but yet complicated process, so many things happening on a molecular level, all different kinds of signaling and cross talk.

BTW

Cross talking is kinda like when 2 beneficial things added together cancel each other out completely, they are then known as antagonistic in behavior.

Think of it like thisā€¦

If a plant puts too much energy into fighting of bugs and pathogens it has little energy for growth.
Therefore the plant may become stunted and not grow until it believes the threat has subsided.
Then it will start to grow again.

These actions are very strain/cultivar dependent.
Another issue also presents in that some genetics (particularly some landraces and poly hybrids) are prone to turning hermaphrodite under any type of stress.

As a result, stress induction might be the last thing a grower wants to do with some genetics.

Please keep that in mind, know your genetics before you stress them, or at least be prepared to face the consequences.

20 Likes

Here he goes. Information time. @JohnnyPotseed if you canā€™t sleep, worry no more. @shag has something for everyone to learn.

1 Like

You should have all of this down by nowā€¦the way your sleep pattern worksā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Thnx for the tag cuz, Itā€™s good info for any interested.

4 Likes

@shag , @JohnnyPotseed and his skills are well represented. I just know on occasion we keep similar ā€œworkā€ days.

2 Likes

Interesting article @shag .
But I prefer to not stress the plants on purpose. Other thing is mistakes made unconsciously,ā€¦ that always happen.
Good to know that when the ā€œlittlesā€ get well gain some sort of resistance.

Happy Growings!!!

2 Likes

No doubt my friend, no doubt.
I love to learn new things, but seldom do anymore.
Most folks either donā€™t like to talk about things or donā€™t like to share for whatever reason.
When I first arrived here at OG, I saw he/JP shared his seed popping tech with everyone.
Some very good info that is, I was very excited to learn of this and I am grateful to @JohnnyPotseed for teaching me a new trick. :sunglasses:
I love new tricks. :wink:

7 Likes

@shag I need to look up his solo cup drill too. Lots of his gear all over OG. If I wasnā€™t so buried in seeds already, Iā€™d likely have some too.

2 Likes

I donā€™t enter them contests, cuz. But, I once grew a Frankenstein in a small handful of dirt, to over 4ā€™ in a red solo cup, lol
Just to see what itā€™d doā€¦
re-potted it into a regular pot when I flipped her to 12/12

I had to post pic with a tape measure held beside it to prove, because some folks just didnā€™t believe it! lol

5 Likes

No contest stuff. Never been into comparison stuff. I do compare myself to myself. Thatā€™s fair. Donā€™t you add EWC or something like that to germ in?

2 Likes

I use pure WC for germination cuz

4 Likes

Thanks buddy. Still finding my way around OG, besides what or who I follow. My nerd skills are getting better along with my growing skills. I like to think anyways.

3 Likes

I like multitasking. Like watching Buried in the Backyard, drinking coffee, eating something, playing Candycrush, all while reading, then re-reading weed nerds stuff. Articles about silicone, or organic input effects on terpenes. Better mousetraps being built. Mostly cuz I often come across stuff I forgot. I donā€™t have a good growing autopilot yet. Which is good. Keeps me paying closer attention.

3 Likes

That is one of the least known, greatest, most useful tips ever. :star_struck:
Thanks again!
Shag

2 Likes

@shag I keep thinking about all the articles about all things cannabis you have shared. If you didnā€™t know, youā€™d ask. The conversations and long threads generated are great. You saw me show up. Get my 1st tent. Iā€™ll leave the details out, but I had no problem asking for help. It was obvious I could use some. You and many others helped immensely. You in particular did not say ā€œdo thisā€ very often. You made suggestions, explaining why. You made me think, which helped me learn a lot. Pretty quickly too. Some folks were just cheerleaders. I needed that now and then too.
Fast forward a couple years. I still have lots of questions. All the time. I can even manage to correctly answer some. I ask for help if needed. I see someone else with a problem they share. I try to start not with any answers, but questions. What soil, water, nutes, ph, etc. While a lot of folks here have the answers, they still need this info to answer correctly. I might allow one of them more time to offer a good solution. By sharing my thoughts on what I did, I get to re-evaluate it.
I have a lot of fun growing, thanks to everyone who shares. Not just growing either.

4 Likes

Thank you buddy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I love to help folks with an open mind, you were so new to growing, your mind was soo open, your head was completely emptyā€¦LOL :crazy_face:

I like to see folks learn and become better growers.
I also like to teach folks how to think for themselves.
For example, if I suggest something, it always has a purpose and we should know the reason why we do these things.

Some folks just want you to tell em all your secrets and then run off, never seeing or hearing from them again.
You have stuck around to learn as much as you can, maybe someday you will be handing out the good advice.
You seem to be understanding what you do now and why you do it.
Soon you will be reading your plants like a book.
This is the important part, thinking on the fly, and not just following a script.

2 Likes

Soā€¦

Aloe? :sweat_smile:

Thatā€™s good to know.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Hey bud.
Seems you really love the Aloeā€¦LOL

Do you have any science to share with us concerning Aloe?
Science papers?
Ways that you use it?
How do you collect it?
What does it do for you exactly?
What is beneficial about the stuff it is made up of?
I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Shag

2 Likes

None of that ā€¦ just recommended by Jeremy of Build A Soilā€¦ supposedly has salicylic acid & beneficial hormonesā€¦ IIRC Duke Diamond has it in his ā€œtonicā€ recipe. :man_shrugging:

In veg or pre flower I break a fresh leaf off & crush it by hand in the irrigation water, probably over doing itā€¦ like a cup of crushed material to 5 gallons.

Also add a layer of it to my worm bin randomly.

Iā€™ve wanted to try cloning with it but just havenā€™t gotten around to it.

Itā€™s chemically complex & may even have carcinogenic properties in some of the components :thinking: anthraquinones or sumtin

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

To me this is cutting-edge science and can be used to make your weed more potent.
Who does not want more potent weed?
There does not seem to be a lot of interest in this topic. :roll_eyes:

Some folks are happy to pay big money for bottled nutes that make these claims when if properly educated that could save a ton of money and induce/elicit these effects themselves.

This will increase cannabinoid production by quite a bit.
Some will pick up on this and some will get left behind.

Bottled hydro store nutes are not the way to goā€¦ in my opinion anyway.
I really feel folks are missing the boat on this one especially.

But alasā€¦ you can lead a grower to knowledge but you canā€™t make him think. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes