Old school tricks for early plant sexing

So I’m not the person to talk about old tricks but I really want to hear some ways people sex there plants early.

6 Likes

I’ll start I’ve never tried this but have read about many times. Once your plant has a couple branches pick one small branch and cover with foil(or anything that blocks light) when your tent has been on for 12 hrs just make sure you take off immediately once lights come on. With in about a week you will start to see preflower pistils or nuts in that particular branch then return that branch to normal light schedule. Won’t have to reveg while plant just one little branch and should recover within a couple days. I haven’t tried but read a lot about it

5 Likes

Listening, I’m waiting for my tent to be sexed right now lol

3 Likes

Lol that makes two of us. Also know about labs that you send a piece of leaf material and for $10-$15 will let you know if m/f.
Here’s a link to pay for lab test.

And another for scale
https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/femindicator/#started

3 Likes

Oh, i once saw a guy on reddit isolate one branch into seperate cabinate and put it on 12/12 while the rest of the plant was on 16/8 or something…
Only that part of the plant flowered…

4 Likes

I’ve heard of this “branch covering technique” to get a speak peak. Never tried it myself.
If I really gotta know, I’ll let the plant get just healthy enough to clone. Then give the clone just enough time for minimal rooting, then flip it. That will give ya the known sex of the parent. Not the quickest of ways, but accurate.

4 Likes

Through the whole grow just that one plant? Seems like one branch would’ve revegged and just made larfy buds?

2 Likes

The way I’ve read about it basically tells you if it’s all timed just right you will have minimal revegging.

I will give you the link to the video brother, it’ll be more clear that way LoL…

Isolated branch flowering

Picture

That guy 4Dbox also tried bunch of other experiments too…

Never did just one branch but have done early sexing with hundreds of plants at a time many times for outdoor grows. Wait until your plants are about 3 weeks old and turn your light to 12/12 and as a plant shows it sex put it under other lights on 18/6 or 24/7 which ever you prefer. Do this with every plant. The key is to catch what sex it is as early as possible and they will revert quickly. Been doing this well over 30 years or so.

30 Likes

Ok that was my thought but was told that could delay flowering up to 4 months. I have 4 unknown plants going now is one at a time the safest way to go since some might show sex faster than others?

1 Like

Does the clone have to a bit of a root base? If I was to just put clone in water would that bare the same results possible or better off with seedling soil?

1 Like

Not in my experience. If caught early will slow the process vey little. They usually revert in a couple of weeks and go on as normal.

3 Likes

Sorry was 4 wks not months.lol. Also did you mean 24/0 7 days a week or 24 hrs light then 7 hrs dark?

Matters not. Soil or water, works either way…….

1 Like

It will slow flowering by about 2 weeks

1 Like

Not hydro as much as a cup of water to put cutting in? Sorry I think I’m crossing conversations. 2 weeks isn’t bad I’m at 5 wk if I do it now if I just add 3 wks veg should it balance out?

24/7 as lights being on all the time. 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

Ok just making sure. Some people get creative with their light schedules.lol

I have never tried this with anything unrooted. I am a soil person but have done this in hydro also but always with roots. Can’t speak for anything without roots.