A big bears grows and tribulations

3 gallons yep first time running under 5 lol.
Hope it goes well

3 Likes

would you share your soil mix .

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply,
I started with subcools super soil recipe using fox farms ocean grown. I reamended with kelp meal, oat meal, worm castings, and peat/pro mix after the first grow. After the second grow I went with down to earth bio live and some more oats, fed the soil some molasses water and cooked for a few months.
Came out of the kiddie pool like a sponge cake covered in spider webs lol.
More or less running the same revamped soil since 2013.
My advice, start with a reputable living soil recipe or go with subcool and reamend with stuff a soil food web thrives on.
Also leaving the broken roots in serves as an innoculant for the next plant should you have disease issues and decomose into nutrient

9 Likes

Getting home tomorrow, mama bear says I’ve got some trimming to do.
Nevadas drought is over and the desert is green and lush.
Good news and the expansion is underway again.
New clones on the horizon and some electrical wizardry brewing in this grizzeled head
Four strains get there start this summer and I’m feeling the green hardcore.

5 Likes

Hey @Morgwar! How is the recreational scene in Reno? :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m not one for socializing but there is a lot of dispensaries. Dabs waxes and extracts are King along with the preroll
You smell it the moment you hit town. Flower is sold bone dry uncured but sparkley
A few odd local varietys but still in fledgling stages.
Vegas is further along with clones and genetics available at dispensaries.
It’s all just starting to gain momentum.

2 Likes

Well I’m not sure about the lollipop defoliate idea but I’m giving it a proper go.
Makes me uneasy.
Here’s some before and after

After

Last time trimming, they don’t look happy anymore but they’ll spring back soon.

8 Likes

Glad to see I’m not the only one that uses Folgers cans LOL

Do you have a stockpile under your kitchen sink too ?

3 Likes

Just can’t throw em away lol.
Tons out in the garage.

1 Like

Did you lollipop them for taking clones or redirecting energy? Or another reason? I’m curious because my buddy keeps his moms that way. I don’t see the harm in doing it other than it makes look kinda funny. I’d guess after a little shock you’re gonna have some fat stackers.

3 Likes

Seems so drastic to me @Morgwar. I’m still scared to try it on the few plants I have. I’m gonna stick around and see how this works for you. Respect…:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

@Kalgrae, @oleskool830
This is a bit of an experiment in trying other growing styles.
I’ve always looked down on growers who use this method but thought it hypocritical having never tried it myself.
For anyone looking for tips on growing, please note that I do not necesarily condone this method and as of now do not recommend it.

The theory is that I’m able to pack more plants in, this way, and redirect energy spent on low producing lower buds starved of light.
I do not agree that this is possible but as a grower need to be non-objective and try all methods.

I feel it’s terribly extreme to me as well but the good news is they are doing better and almost praying again.

8 Likes

A testament to this plants endurance and ability to rebound.
Exactly 12 hrs Difference.

9 Likes

Currently we are feeding
6grams per gallon, megacrop
6 grams per gallon nectar of the gods Herculean harvest bone milk.
1tsp epsome salts.
1tbsp molasses
pH down from 7.0 to 6.0 with 6.0 run off

I feed the above every three days alternating with a clean, coconut milk /ph’d well water at 2tbspn a gallon.
The new recycled/amended super soil is showing great absorbtion and is easy to water.

5 Likes

Hey my Mentor @Morgwar. Coconut milk? Please esplane the benefits you are getting from coconut milk? How much per gal? :pray:
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Mentor would be a stretch for me lol but I’ll let ya in on my twisted musings.
Coconut milk contains a lot of cytokinin’s
Cytokinin’s are plant hormones that trigger growth in all plants at the seedling stage as well as encouraging growth of roots and sexual bits later on.
I’ve been using it in my veggie garden forever
2 table spoons per gallon is my feed rate
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3243406/
https://s10.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/botonl/b_online/e31/31c.htm
https://www.maximumyield.com/10-facts-on-cytokinins/2/3195 -“A well-known plant-produced cytokinin is zeatin, found in coconut milk, but first isolated from corn kernels (hence the name, since corn is Zea mays).
The name “cytokinin” is indicative of its action. Cytokinins promote “cytokinesis,” more commonly known as cell division.
Of the more than 200 known cytokinins (both natural and synthetic), most are structurally derived from adenine, which also provides the ‘A’ in the ATCG sequences of DNA.
The effects of cytokinins are diverse and include activity with respect to bud and leaf initiation and expansion, apical dominance, chlorophyll biosynthesis, and many others.
Although, depending on the stage of growth and development, cytokinins can be found in abundance in just about any plant tissue, the highest concentrations are found in root tips, embryos, and apical buds.”

9 Likes

I’ve had a sneaking suspicion that the mutant GDP held by @99PerCent could be coaxed into normal growth with a regiment including cytokinins. The idea came from statements @Viva_Mexico made about a clones “memory.”

5 Likes

It may soon be possible to test that hypothesis for me, but to be sure I do adore the traits expressing from that beautiful thing lol.

6 Likes

Natural sunlight has begun to stretch them out. Maybe it is more able to penetrate and stimulate??

2 Likes

Change in environment equating to change in Expression.
Would not surprise me at all.
You may get a similar response with a change in altitude.
I think this plant has a long genetic memory and will adjust to any of the environments it’s experienced over the millennia.
Rest assured that grand daddy purple has developed some character.

8 Likes