A big cause of powdery mildew

These leaves have sweat on them and it is caused by overlapping leaves. I defoliate mainly to keep this from happening. When i say sweating leaves this is what i mean. This moisture is manna to powdery mildew here in the Pacific North West.

8 Likes

Yeah i remember you saying that about sweating leaves, every little detail you pay attention to, makes a better grow! Thanks for putting the pic in my head bro!

4 Likes

No problem, I’m happy it helped. :relaxed:

4 Likes

This is definatly something everyone needs to keep an eye on. Even in dry areas it can cause molds and if it gets ahold youll be in a mess.

5 Likes

Outdoor is always a gamble. Weather, pests, and rippers are always threatening to destroy your crop! So what is your plan (besdides defoliation) to combat this?

3 Likes

It can happen outdoors but is less of a problem with wind and sun. If you train for big bushes like i like then it is a problem and the inside must be hollowed out and you must check constantly for problems. I also spread my cola’s apart with twine so they don’t overlap. Big sunleaves that drape over buds get pulled as well. For outdoor caterpillars and botrytis are my biggest worries.

4 Likes

Ryasco, a partir de ahora mucho cuidado con hongos/mohos, que tu zona es muy húmeda (al menos para mi) y tienes una gran densidad de vegetación…
Mucha suerte y ve calentando dedos y afilando tijeras!

Ryasco, from now on very careful with fungi / molds, that your area is very humid (at least for me) and you have a great density of vegetation … Good luck and see warming fingers and sharpening scissors!

4 Likes

That is true. We had to tarp last night for rain and will be adding fans tonight for better ventilation for the next month or two. Part of growing is all this work and no guarantees. :grin:

2 Likes

This is the grow @MiG is referencing and the “bushes” i mentioned.

6 Likes

That is an awesome sight!!! Props.

3 Likes

Contra las orugas pulverizar preventivamente desde el inicio de floración Bacillus T es el remedio perfecto; ya lo sabrás.
Contra la botritis yo hubiera dejado más espacio entre plantas, pero eso ya no tiene remedio…

Against the caterpillars spray preventively from the beginning of flowering Bacillus T is the perfect remedy; You’ll know.
Against botrytis I would have left more space between plants, but that has no remedy …

2 Likes

That is interesting, because I have never had a problem with PM or bud rot in any of my indoor gardens.
However, outdoors is a whole different story. In the north eastern US, I spent many nightmarish fall seasons fighting PM and botrytis. Some strains are much more susceptible to being attacked by these scourges than others. I remember losing almost all of my AK-47s in one horrible fall.
Very frustrating, as I tried everything I could think of…I could only slow it down some.
It can be heartbreaking for sure.

Anyway, good luck!

4 Likes

Right now this is personal so we are risking it and using our fingers. Ha! Ha! They get checked over daily by me or a friend. I should have a lot more space between plants but a few plants were bigger than estimated. I did the best i could and am taking precautions. I expect to lose a few buds to caterpillars i just hope they are kind and don’t take too much. :grin:

4 Likes

You might know better than me, i am an indoor grower by nature. Outdoors i only do occasionally when asked. From my experience it depends on the year. Some years it is everywhere and others it is rare. For me i have had good luck outdoors, but my outdoor rules are almost the same as indoors.Keep everything clean, good genetics from seed, and keep the plant healthy with good ventilation.

3 Likes

Ahhhhh, Sun Grown medicine! Beautiful bro!

2 Likes

I just tried my first grow outside here in North East US and it has been challenging to say the least and with harvest upon us, I’m afraid I’m going to have to throw the towel in. The PM started late August and before I caught on I was in panic mode. I tried apple cider method and it seemed to control it but it came back and I tried grow store product, but alas all is lost. I look at it as a learning experience but boy it hurts to watch all that hard work and time go down the tubes. I believe where i went wrong plants were to close overlapping and with moisture the problem came. Oh well back to indoors for a fall/winter run:)

4 Likes

I’v heard that a strong solution of baking soda keeps it under control by changing the ph, not sure if it’s left on or washed off shortly after application, anyone else hear something similar to this?

2 Likes

I have never tried it, i use potassium bi-carbonate on occasion if needed and they are similar.

3 Likes

That sounds like a homebrewing ingredient what’s its common uses?

2 Likes

It was easier to copy and paste.
Uses

This compound is a source of carbon dioxide for leavening in baking, extinguishing fire in dry chemical fire extinguishers, acting as a reagent, and a strong buffering agent in medications.

It is used as an additive in winemaking and as a base in foods and to regulate pH. It is a common ingredient in club soda, where it is used to soften the effect of effervescence.

Potassium bicarbonate is used as a fire suppression agent (“BC dry chemical”) in some dry chemical fire extinguishers, as the principal component of the Purple-K dry chemical, and in some applications of condensed aerosol fire suppression. It is the only dry chemical fire suppression agent recognized by the U.S. National Fire Protection Association for firefighting at airport crash rescue sites. It is about twice as effective in fire suppression as sodium bicarbonate.[3]

Potassium bicarbonate is an effective fungicide against powdery mildew and apple scab, allowed for use in organic farming.[4][5][6][7]

Potassium bicarbonate is often found added to bottled water to affect taste.[8]

Potassium bicarbonate has widespread use in crops, especially for neutralizing acidic soil.[9]

5 Likes