A Newbies Guide to Newbie Things to Avoid

Safety is the main thing couple points I learned Keep all electric Lines above water (I keep all my electric 3 feet above my reservoir

Fan maintenance Clean your fans every three months You’d be surprised how dirty they get I had a small plastic clip on fan bind up and stop right in front of me and begin to smoke

If you’re using surge protectors check them for any brown marks around the plug it’s a sign that they’re burning out and no longer working properly they should be changed once a year ( learned that in an Osher meeting)

Every five years I redo my area I feel by that time fans need to be replaced lights need to be replaced or major portions get examined and if any sign of problems get redone I do feel that the lights only last up to five years so that’s a prompt

And a biggie fire prevention look into fireball extinguishers I have one that mounts on the wall once the heat reaches a certain level it’ll explode ( or direct flame ) and put everything out it’s good to manage a 5 x 5 area

3 Likes

I agree, ultimately my goal now that I’m a little more advanced is to be around 5.8 early and bring it to to around 6.2 by the time you’re in flower.

When you really boil it down, we’re doing something very simple that just has many variables and that humans overcomplicate. If you… Provide humidity between 40-65%, use quality lighting, use quality genetics, use quality fertilizer in the right ratios, you can grow good enough plants.

But, I fully believe putting it all together is only possible with certain personality types and the right passionate individual that is constantly wanting to learn. People who become accomplished at something often stall out and just repeat what they’ve always done. Some don’t want to admit it, but I fully believe there are people that are naturally good at growing things, and that there is an art to this, and that some people can connect with plants and animals in ways that others simply aren’t capable of. JMHO

4 Likes

This happens all the time that’s why I like growing you have new challenges every day if you’re not on top of it you will not succeed somebody once told me if you’re not having problems you’re not growing

this just makes us
better stronger
Now it’s time to walk the dog signing out
paps
the gray haired bandito

2 Likes

Agreed, I think it’s a natural tendency for any new grower to water too much. I turned my first three plants neon green and yellow :rofl: The new puppies need plenty of alone time and sleep too!

Yep, and if you want to make your life miserable, but grow crazy vigorous plants that need tons of care and maintenance, start in coco then switch to RDWC for your second big grow. I’m now working on my 70 site clone/seedling aeroponics setup which will accompany my 3rd grow and a breeding project. :rofl: :sob:

1 Like

plant some seeds in soil 1/4 of and inch or 1 cm beneath the ground since there is more soil beneath the seed than their is above the seed they pop. I tried the cup of water method with some indo pacific landrace seeds and eventually had to throw them out in the sink because they didn’t pop, my dad saw white tap roots when I walked away and ate them. lol

Do you guys think that growing in larger containers is a good suggestion for new growers? It seems grows with smaller containers should be reserved for the experienced…

3 Likes

Yes,yes and yes,go larger

2 Likes

It’s definitely worse to do too much than too little and I think noobs have a strong tendency to do too much. With the internet, and especially lately with so many places going legal, you can find piles and piles of info for how to squeeze out more yield etc, when learning to stay out of the plants way and giving it the basics is a better bet at first.

4 Likes

But instead people want to buy 10 bottles of stuff and dump something in every time something looks off

And there are greedy people that know this…

1 Like

I haven’t used a PH meter in years. Don’t need it.

Good for you :man_shrugging::joy:

While there certainly are more ways to skin a cat, telling a new grower to ignore PH doesn’t seem like good tip.

I guess it depends on the water used, mine is well water with a PH of 6.1 so It’s not much of a concern for me.

Yeah man, if you’ve got that consistently then you’re lucky as far as growing cannabis goes.

I have 5 different sources of water, RO, RO//DI, well, city, and filtered drinking water non come anywhere close to the range we need :weary:

Don’t over complicate things. Patience.

3 Likes

“Don’t over complicate things. Patience.”

Words of wisdom in everything in life………

2 Likes

Nobody has mentioned VPD. I’m a newb and found that keeping this in line is essential for plant health.

1 Like

@Jango I think it’s a great and often overlooked tool, but maybe enough to make steam come out of the average new growers ears. Certainly deserves a mention for any newb wanting to dive a little deeper than the basics!

1 Like

Always remember to LITFA.
@ReikoX may still have some available…

7 Likes

That’s great! Funniest part is it’s better than some if the packaging out there!