Adventures in Aero #4 - Sebring's Earth Lover (now Dragon Tongue)

Now that would come in handy - but my wife would probably complain about the noise every time it kicked on - my grow space it next to the master bedroom :smiley:

I have a typical contractor 10 gallon I think 1 HP compressor, but the darn thing is super noisy. If I had a garage I could put it there and just run a long air line, but I only have a carport. My outside storage shed is too small and too close to the neighbors bedrooms. Im stuck using a “quiet” compressor and they are $$ when you go big.

1 Like

Oh, yes, now I see. Yes, I have the same behavior. Didnit’ notice cause I use OG from a laptop with an external monitor mostly so didn’t need to zoom pics even more.

May be just use metal round bars with some kind of tight holder at the list and just push\pull it to adjust level? Of course, as there is no anti-drip on delavan nozzles it will leak as London in '50, but you’ll be able to try the idea. Or you can put your liquid supply nozzle from the bottom, it will slightly reduce amount of leakage. You can use even use wider pvc pipes instead of bars and put supply tubes inside.

1 Like

Wow, it should be pretty big. Is it noisy?

I have an oil-free 1.1 hp compressor with 24L tank, it takes ~2.5 minutes to fill it full. And it is noisy but much less than other types I’ve heard.

3 Likes

Yes - those are very similar to a couple of the ideas Im playing with.

At the moment, Im leaning toward trying two independent pairs of nozzles that would fire separately.

One pair mounted down low on the north and south sides of the chamber, and pointed UP. This pair would be used for the first part of the grow. This is how I had it on the last grow and it worked very well until the roots ate the nozzles - about 55-60 days. That forced me to do a frantic re-build mid grow to re-position the nozzles and siphon tank higher up.

This time, I would just turn those two nozzles off, and start using the second pair which would be mounted mid chamber and also firing slightly up. These would also be positioned at 90 degrees to the first pair - call it on the east and west side of the chamber. I would either have to move the siphon tank up or have a second tank setup at the higher level. I will probably do the second tank so I have a back-up.

As far as adjusting heights, Im leaning towards your idea of a larger PVC pipe with the air supply running inside. The water supply - which runs to the siphon tank - would need to stay coming up from the bottom to avoid air lock issues.

Moving the siphon tanks up/down is easy because I can locate them outside the root chamber and in front where I can easily get to them.

Im thinking of having the PVC pipes that the nozzles are attached to run up the inside of the chamber, then through the foam ceiling and up into the grow space. I can then fairly easily push/pull them up or down as needed - as long as they dont get in the way of the lights or the scrog net. I will need to be careful to prevent air and light from being able to pass through the pipes, but that should be no big problem.

The main trick will be if I can reach them easily after the grow is half way done or later. So far, these autos Im growing really want to stay dense, and low. Its not at all easy to get down into the lower layers at that point in the grow. Some of the largest colas start virtually on the floor of the grow space.

Once I actually start putting the new system together Im sure I will think of some solution to try…

There is still the question of where to position the plants in the chamber. The way I have it now is nt good - too close tot he sides of the chamber. Im worried that having them too close together will cause issues with some of the root ball getting poor mist when they grow into each other. I could use fewer plants, but then if I have a male or a runt or two Im down to a single plant and that means low yield numbers. Still debating all those compromises.

2 Likes

Oh yeah it’s loud lol

2 Likes

Day 63 and all is ok.

The nozzles getting blocked and the root damage from me leaving the hatch cover off has resulted in some root die back. The damage has been showing up for a few days now. Its not terrible, but still there.

Ive been over misting to make up for it so many of the roots are now smooth. I dont think I have any choice but to continue to over water because much of the mist just cant get to where it needs to go unless I over water other sections. I really need to work on root training early on next time to be sure to get that inverted cone shape. That plus some way to move the nozzles and/or have alternate locations ready to fire up and/or a larger chamber.

I can fairly easily get larger diameter fabric pots for nest time, but I suspect that will only delay the inevitable for a few weeks at most - probably not long enough. Still, that might be worth it. Lots to ponder between now and the next grow…

The roots grew together in front of the #1 nozzle a while back. I used my hands to compress the roots to open up the path so the mist could get through. They grew right back.

9 days ago

7 days ago I compressed them to the sides.

Today. They never give up! :smiley:

The plants look ok other than the damage from the root die back. Not a huge amount of frost, but I expect a decent weight over all from the big girl.

The runt is so densely packed its hard to tell if there are many buds down in there or if its all just leaves!

6 Likes

Day 69

The babies have been getting a lot of LITFA while I mess around trying (unsuccessfully so far) to brew some booze to make green dragon.

Its almost irritating, but they are doing just fine without me! :slight_smile:

The big girl looks like she is getting close. Im guessing maybe two to three weeks, but Im not very good at this kind of guesstimating. The runt still has almost all white pistles, so she has a good bit longer to go.

A few quick pics. Big girl first.

The runt.

My USB cam sucks big time. I need to pester @Howard.Crane again about which cam he is using :wink:

Using one of those cheap clip on close up lenses on my phone works much better.

8 Likes

I tried to look it up on Amazon in my past orders, but it just says “this item is no longer available”. I can’t find it at the moment, either. I haven’t looked real hard though, cause it’s not compatible with my new phone.

I do like the clip-on macro lense, though :wink:

3 Likes

Those masses of fuzzy white roots are just unreal! I love how they’re almost sentient and reach out for the nozzles lol

I’m not sure how you could ever keep the nozzles free of them, maybe if they were hung above the roots and sprayed downwards?

Really cool grow, nice work!

3 Likes

i clicked on this thread and this is the first post that popped up. Scared the shit out of me. Lol

3 Likes

No worries man. I Know how that goes on Amazon :slight_smile:

I tried shooting down from the top and had difficulty keeping the roots wet enough in the early stages. Im still mulling over a variety of things to try for the next grow. It seems to be a never ending learning process - which is good and bad :smiley:

LOL Its the roots that keep me going despite the problems :smiley:

4 Likes

Day 73

Oh oh! I think the runt has a big problem. Not sure, but it looks like some sort of mold maybe? PM?

Should I cut that part out now?

Some pics with various lighting conditions:

(one pic per post so we can zoom in)

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

If you grab one of those little bud leaves that looks affected and pull, does it just come right out of the bud with little resistance? If so, how’s the stem end look?

I don’t see pm but as I’ve said, my eyesight isn’t great.

3 Likes

It takes almost to force to pull them out. The smallest tug. The ends are super dry and brittle, but the stem end is still greenish.

Should I cut the effected parts out to stop the spread?

1 Like

If that were my plant, I’d immediately sacrifice a bud like that and pull it all apart (away from the grow) looking for botrytis or something in the core.

More than half asleep though, so not much deductive power atm other than that suggestion.

If you do find mold, get rid of all affected parts immediately?

3 Likes

I removed both of those colas. Broke open all the buds and found traces of white, fluffy mold looking crap. This was the worse one.

Is this botrytis, powdery mildew or something else? The white stuff wasnt visible at all until I pried open the buds.

I pried open several other buds on the rest of the plant, but no signs of this anywhere I was able to get to. I guess Im going to have to check really carefully when I harvest and watch it closely until then. Im going to add another fan too.

This is all on the runt. Its the most densely packed. I dont see any signs on the big girl - fingers crossed!.

Edit: After looking at a bunch of Google images, I dont think its PM. Looks more like botrytis or something similar.

4 Likes

My guess would be botrytis. Fairly sure that’s the problem here.

Ugh, hate that stuff. Had it several times over the years, unfortunately.

5 Likes

Thanks Howard. Ive been worried about something like this from early on after it became clear that these babies would stay super dense. I just hope it doesnt spread any further.

2 Likes