Advertising true F1-Hybrids

Hey guys,

lately royal queen seeds and even a bit longer sweet seeds advertising “true F1-Hybrids” and fast versions which are also “true” F1 Hybrids.

any thoughts on that?

1 Like

They seem like good breeders an I have no reason to doubt them, do you have any proof to discredit them?

the point here is not to discredit these breeders, but to share the thoughts of fellow forum members.

I myself have had both very good and not so good varieties from both breeders.

As I am not a breeding professional or have little knowledge of genetics, and the advertising of these varieties gives the impression (perhaps only to me) that it is something new, I wanted to know what others think.

2 Likes

Just means it was a pollen chuck in my eyes that isn’t tested yet. The fast versions would have been crossed to an auto but wouldn’t be expected to auto cuz it’s not far enough in the generations to isolate the recessive auto gene. Sounds to me like the beginning of the long drawn out breeding project that they didn’t wanna just throw out the whole batch of seeds but rather release em with a “good luck finding something special in em” which may very well have that Wonka golden ticket in there 🤷

Hybrid is just a cross between indica and sativa and f1 is just the first generation of a new cross so a “true f1 hybrid” is likely a fancy way of saying we threw some indica pollen at a sativa and heres the resulting babies. Being f1 there’s no stress tests done yet and can possibly herm with the right stressors and ur gonna see both parents in the babies so project can end up anywhere grown out

5 Likes

What I think they’re trying to claim is that the seeds they’re releasing are like a commercial crop F1 variety. Before modern genetic engineering techniques, the only real way to do that is inbreeding two parent lines and then crossing them to create the F1.

Theoretically those seeds shouldn’t be a grab-bag, they should be very consistent. You’re basically taking parent A with homozygous genes AA at every locus, parent B with homozygous genes BB at every locus, and mating them to produce F1 offspring with heterozygous genes AB at every locus. The offspring are heterozygous but they should be extremely consistent at the F1 generation. The f2 generation is where you see variation.

That’s if you actually trust that they bred the parent inbred lines and did everything properly.

So I don’t think this is about indica/sativa/hybrid, this is more like heirloom vs hybrid if you’ve grown produce at home

6 Likes