Creating F2 using 3 different males

“Purple Sauce F2 used 3 different males. A solid purple one, A high THC one, and a High yielding one. This ensures diversity of expressions and not just “s1” like results. This is done intentionally to create a healthy spectrum of phenotypes, as this strain is extremely complex in palate ! Great yields and easy to grow!”

Does that mean they took pollen from 3 males, mixed it, then pollinated a female? Is it any different than an open air pollination?

Thank you for any help.

1 Like

It means that they are not going to supply you with seeds that are uniform, you may as well ignore the name, and their claims of yield, potency, or vigour.

If they took pollen from three males then it is random chance which male is the father of your seed.

If you want to breed, consider getting these seeds but it will be a few generations before you can stabilise a line in order to make F1 crosses again.

If you just want some good seeds to grow then avoid these like the plague.

8 Likes

Thank you very much!

There is no such thing as an F2 that is created with more than one male.

People like this should have their own thread called “breeders to avoid”

10 Likes

It was weird to first read it for sure, its why i was confused.

1 Like

It was weird to read because of the sheer amount of bollocks in the description.

“We made some random seeds which are not worth much but we want to make a load of money off them so we are saying it is this strain and the negative qualities from crossing F2’s are actually benefits”

6 Likes

Must be open pollinated
Guess they have a good mother and average males?

1 Like

Wow who breeds that?
Are they teaching biology in school anymore?maybe two of the males only identify as male and are there for moral support.

4 Likes

What is wrong with this. Swampthing uses 3-4 males in the same room

1 Like

Are they clones of the same male?

I have well water

And I dont follow. You realize i quoted the explanation of the seeds parentage, its not mine ?

1 Like

@corners sorry bruddah…meant for @LED_Seed…im completely sorry for calling out the wrong person

With all due respect

You can edit posts…

3 Likes

It’s either an open pollination or some crazy cuck that believes if he and two other dudes cum in his wife they’ll produce some sort of genetic recombined super offspring (Twins starring Arnold and D Devito) lol.

Sound like a shitty mix/blend of the most inconsistent open polli f2’s ever. What’s his proof on these claims about the his males ? He got some pictures for y’all? Lab tests claims or results ? Grow Journal ? If he has nothing to show he is full of shit.

Dude sounds like a no good bullshit chucker with a very active imagination.

4 Likes

You can always try to prove him wrong! Raz truth i think he bred like that…he would also use multiple filial generations for the next filial gen. I believe he stated this in an interview…i believe its on Humboldt seeds’ website.

Let us know if its bullshit…read that…might make more sense

Yea but what this guy is talking about is open pollination and this would only be done if say I only had 25 NL5 F5 seeds left from Bodhi and since it’s a pretty stable line I’ll just run a room pick my 3 fav males. Hashy one, berry one, and huge flower cluster one. Then. Do an open pollination on all the females to preserve the line.

But what this guy is talking about with F2s doesn’t seem much like choosing parents for a certain purpose rhyme or reason and with F2s there is already so much variation that the resulting f3s will REALLY be all over the place with a lot of garbage being more than likely.

I would stay away from things like f2-4 unless the breeder really is good at separating phenos in a line and sells beans of each pheno. BeanHo does this

4 Likes

If one was using the same strain of male then one can make an F2.

In this case however the males are described as three DIFFERENT males, and I quote:

To me this clearly says there are three different strains used. Otherwise how in the F does one know the potency of one male, the purple of another, or the yield of a third. Males don’t show any of these traits, other than possibly a purple color.

Calling out? I see no call out, nor do I see anything that I left open for debate.

5 Likes

You can test a male for thc %
You can visually see the male is a high yielder and a solid purple color
Your second respose is logically mortifying!!!
Wow! I cant believe you said that. I DONT EVEN GROW POT NEVER HAVE. WAITING FOR MY ST TO LEGALIZE. Even i know that statement doesnt make sense.
Forget about it

Potency is more than the % of THC in a single trichome, it is also based on the numbers of trichomes per square centimetre on the female flowers, as such knowing the %THC on a male flower does not help you there. E.G. If the % TCH of a trich on a male plant is 45% (!) but you only get four crystals on a female plant it will not have high potency even though the male TCH % was off the charts. (exaggerated for purposes of explaining a point)

Sure a male might put out a lot of male flowers but that also does not enlighten you as to how it will express if you make a female seed with that male as a father. Some genes only express on a male and vice versa.

LED_seeds did mention you could possibly see purpling on a male flower.

The only way to truly know is to have crossed those males and females before and to have grown out the plants to maturity to see how they perform. As there are multiple males crossing in the F2 generation, even if you did it would not help you know how the seeds will perform. They will essentially be random plants at this stage.

Just my 2c from decades of knowledge of growing and breeding.

6 Likes

From Robert Connel Clarke’s book

"Marijuana Botany

An Advanced Study: The Propagation and
Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis "

Parental plants are selected which most nearly approach the ideal. If a desirable
trait is not expressed by the parent, it is much less likely to appear in the
offspring. It is imperative that desirable characteristics be hereditary and not
primarily the result of environment and cultivation. Acquired traits are not
hereditary and cannot be made hereditary. Breeding for as few traits as possible
at one time greatly increases the chance of success. In addition to the specific
traits chosen as the aims of breeding, parents are selected which possess other
generally desirable traits such as vigor and size. Determinations of dominance
and recessiveness can only be made by observing the outcome of many
crosses, although wild traits often tend to be dominant. This is one of the keys to
adaptive survival. However, all the possible combinations will appear in the F2
generation if it is large enough, regardless of dominance.

Now, after further simplifying this wonderful system of inheritance, there are
additional exceptions to the rules which must be explored. In some cases, a pair
of genes may control a trait but a second or third pair of genes is needed to
express this trait. This is known as gene inter action. No particular genetic
attribute in which we may be interested is totally isolated from other genes and
the effects of environment. Genes are occasionally transferred in groups instead
of assorting independently. This is known as gene linkage, These genes are
spaced along the same chromosome and may or may not control the same trait.

The result of linkage might be that one trait cannot be inherited without another.
At times, traits are associated with the X and Y sex chromosomes and they may
be limited to expression in only one sex (sex linkage). Crossing over also
interferes with the analysis of crosses. Crossing over is the exchanging of entire
pieces of genetic material between two chromosomes. This can result in two
genes that are normally linked appearing on separate chromosomes where they
will be independently inherited. All of these processes can cause crosses to
deviate from the expected Mendelian outcome. Chance is a major factor in
breeding Cannabis, or any introduced plant, and the more crosses a breeder
attempts the higher are the chances of success.

Variate, isolate, intermate, evaluate, multiplicate, and disseminate are the key
words in plant improvement. A plant breeder begins by producing or collecting
various prospective parents from which the most desirable ones are selected and
isolated. Intermating of the select parents results in offspring which must be
evaluated for favorable characteristics. If evaluation indicates that the offspring
are not improved, then the process is repeated. Improved off spring are
multiplied and disseminated for commercial use. Further evaluation in the field is
necessary to check for uniformity and to choose parents for further intermating.
This cyclic approach provides a balanced system of plant improvement.

Please note the section where F2 crosses are mentioned and the linking of gene expression to sex chromosomes.

The last paragraph is where the benefit of seeds like this will become apparent, if you want to make your own stable line, to make your own F1 cross then these seeds are already at F2 stage and would save you a generation.

But if you want to make your own stable line, to make your own F1 cross then you would be better off starting with two already stable lines of known qualities from which to make your F1, then F2 crosses…

As such, to my mind, even for their stated purpose these seeds are essentially worthless.

7 Likes