Advice on HST appreciated!

I have a Jillybean Bean cross I’m learning about high stress training on. So far I’ve topped her at node 3, stripped all but node 3. Then I topped again, probably later than I should have. I ended up with 5 (I think) nodes and stripped the 2nd and 4th. They were going the other way from “top”. I’m sure I’m going to murder it every time I touch it.

Now I’m realizing the method I was reading on suggested topping the 2nd time at the 3rd node again and stripping #2. For 8 total colas.

Anyway, now I have 12 total, if anyone has suggestions regarding 12 colas and not 8 I’m all ears. I’m guessing it will be fine.

So now to my question. I feel like I should pinch these “suckers” off as I feel moved to, like you would a tomato. I also want to tie down the middle few sprigs to get them to grow away from center and give everyone room. I really have no idea. Most of what I’ve read skips over a lot of veg after the toppings.

Suggestions?

6 Likes

If you want 12 solid colas then everything below must go. But then, you can always bring those suckers up to the light: Scrog Tips

13 Likes

sure, you could also put a net and have it grow into it, so you can tuck those under the net instead of having to tie them down

scrog-diagram

usually 1, 2, and 4 colas bring best results, but it will be just fine. im actually interested in seeing the 12 colas, never done it myself past 6.

its called lollipopping in stoner language. you take out pretty much anything not getting light. its pretty common,some strains needed it, some others dont. i have found a light lollipopping of anything under the 4 node (counting from top down). but there are other strains, that dont need any at all (some strains grow good quality lower buds, but just smaller. other strains grow airy and not well matured lower buds that i would pinch off)

5 Likes

I would love to try scrog. I grow single bucket DWC and I haven’t been able to put together in my head how the net and the bucket work with water changes. Ive seen some creative setupsIm not sold that’s scrog would be a method I enjoy, and the setup for DWC scrogs takes up a lot of space . I think I’ll prune them off. I’m trying to maximize my space. I have a short tent and tall weed tastes and growing styles obviously. :joy:

2 Likes

To date, I’ve not pruned basically anything that would make a flower. I wanted to see how the plant grew “naturally” now that I’ve had a couple strains that I want to run again, BUT they were way too tall or way too larfy after the top bit, I’m ready to learn to train. Ive found the larf so tedious to harvest. I dont do hash or oils, we’re just after good buds to smoke. The larf has been a fine smoke, just a lot of work. Work for the plant too, it could have put that little bit of effort into making another bud a bit fatter.

4 Likes

it’s a pain in the arse. i used to just pick it all up a tad and put a couple of 2x2s under four sides and struggle to get the tote out without knocking it over. it moved a couple of inches but no more.

but i was using a wire fence and it had stability to it.

2 Likes

Greetings @AppalachianBiscuits,

Here’s an HST approach you might find interesting:

Or This:

Cheers,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

5 Likes

Scrolling around I found this post Mainlining am I starting this right - #43 by Papalag

I’m going to check out @Papalag grows now!

1 Like