SCROG tips and tricks?

Hey all. I’ve done maybe 5 or so rounds using SCROG screens by now and although it works well for me I feel I could dial it in a bit more.

I let a plant grow to the screen or thereabouts, then top it. I now have two branches that I let grow to the screen again and also top. Now I have 4 branches… I’m sure you get the idea lol

But at this point I’m training these branches outwards along the screen. Eventually they hit the limit of where I want them so I let them grow up there. I end up with a plant with 4 branches in a Y shape that are all bare (because it’s all under the screen) except for the 4 toppers at the ends.

How do I fill in ALL the holes, or at least way more? What are some tips or tricks you use to maximize screen fillage?

Also any other cool SCROG tips, tricks or discussion is welcome!

10 Likes

You ever try FIMing them? I remember people getting up to 8 branches per top that way. If you even got 4 instead of 2, it would speed up and possibly give you more growing tops.

1 Like

I don’t top at all, by bending the growing tip you still release apical dominance and allow the auxiliary branches to reach the screen.

7 Likes

I manifold and train for one top per 4"x4" square

If you keep the branches somewhat uniform you get uniform dense nugs as well.

6 Likes

@ChronicMcBudz I’ve never fimmed before (at least intentionally lol), but I’ll have to try it. I forgot it was a thing tbh

@ReikoX another interesting trick that i never considered. Everything for this upcoming round is already topped but I might try it next round

@anon16977489 so would that be one manifold branch per plant or do you top or something?

Thanks all!

1 Like

I find it easier to top beforehand, so I have 4-6 main tops as plant hits the net.

But honestly, 90% of it is proper genetics selections. You have viney, thin-stemmed varieties that almost scrog themselves. And then you have the thick-stemmed christmass tree style plants that are hard to train through the net without damaging them.

6 Likes

Ya that’s definitely true… I’ve been growing the more lanky type, sativa leaning plants almost exclusively for a few years now. This round in veg I’ve got some really squat, bushy indicas that look like they’re made for the screen!

2 Likes

out of likes but some good convo here, @ReikoX I just learned something new thanks, I have fimed before because it was a genuine F I missed. Topping is normal as i use tents for me. But @ReikoX just put me ahead of the game i bet!

Like everyone i suppose, I get set in my ways, dont always try new stuff like i used to, but should.

5 Likes

topped twice and then 2 weeks before flower I stripped the bottom half, maybe a little more completely clean of all growth

5 Likes

Nice even canopy my friend amazing I never can achieve one so even I do to many variety of strains
Beautiful

2 Likes

One major thing i find is to have a stiff non-flexible net
I use 2 in x 3 in metal fencing

Always have a second net above the main for that extra support after stretch

3 Likes

This scrog was definitely tougher. I’ve got the taller wedding cakes in the back and the shorter bushier shiskaberry in the front… I’ll space my plants apart deliberately leaving gaps In the scrog so I have room to keep training the tallest branches and give the lower ones time to catch up.

3 Likes

When they get out of hand you’ll need to super crop

Topping will slow down growth in veg

2 Likes

Yeah, I do super crop the tallest tops, I have lots of room so they have time to recover from toppings

2 Likes

Just for shitz and giggles :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’ve been playing with this

A little under the skirt shot

I may need to install a 2nd net
This tent only has a 30 in overall hight

I waited till the plants where dry as hell so they bend easily before I installed the net
Also they where at day 14 from flip when I got the idea to play with this ( I hate to cull the moms )

7 Likes