Affordable COB LED Build

They look the biz cheers bro. Wish i could do a warehouse grow but i’m not in a good position to be breeding either for the same reason. We both get through it fast and friends help too. Had me a cookie from her latest batch and my vision is getting blurry so it’s kicking in now. I suspect this batch is good, possibly even dam good :grin:

1 Like

A wee update - her latest cookies are dynamite and the rest of the cobs turned up today for my build. Now got the wire, sink paste, chips, hangers, junction box, fastenings etc so can start soldering wires to cobs…tomorrow…maybe, have to admit it’s my least favorite part of the job :weary:

1 Like

The heat sink bars turned up this morning so nothing to stop me getting started but i’m running a bit low on enthusiasm today and cant be arsed doing anything, except getting wrecked of course.

1 Like

Hey @Albannach good luck with your new lights mate…
Gaz

2 Likes

Cheers Gaz no going back to hps now mate, It’s like gaslight compared to good led.

3 Likes

Got leads soldered to 15 chips today, the 11 i need for this build plus some spare just in case. Next i need to mark and drill the sink bars. I’ll try to put the drilling off till herself is out cos it drives her nuts :grin:

3 Likes

Her plants are doing way better under the led rig than they ever did with the 250hps/cooltube, blackberry almost ready and very soon for the chop, blue amnesia still way off. New starts at the bottom - sugar black rose auto and ace malawi x northern lights auto. And a critical jack reg at the back, it’s going into my tent to flower in a couple of days.

7 Likes

Making progress on my own led rig. Threads tapped for the cob holders and the frame assembled and junction boxes fitted. Waiting on heatsink paste for the solstrips and some aluminium plate for brackets and a 150W driver to arrive.

4 Likes

Her black berry auto is now down and trimmed. Not a huge amount but very nice indeed. Took a couple more crap pics before it got the chop, need a proper camera :weary:

4 Likes

It’a alive! it took more effort than i would have liked and i ran out of patience a bit so the wiring could be a bit neater but i finally got it working.

9 Likes

That’s a thing of beauty @Albannach

1 Like

I noticed that the solstrips run quite a bit hotter than my cob bars but not taken readings yet. I was sitting downstairs having a toke watching the remote temp display when it hit 29C in the tent so i turned the strips off, left the cobs on and it’s now 27C.

edit it’s now 26.6C in the tent with the cobs at 300W but the house is toasty at 23C. I cant open windows downstairs cos we have had noisy bastards clattering about all day outside, apparently doing work to the building :rage:

2 Likes

Why not dim the strips bro. Pushed hard they do run hot. What driver you got them on?

1 Like

lol great minds bro. I was going try that a bit later when i can get this house a bit cooler. Never had this problem before in Scotland, usually it’s the opposite :laughing:

It’s a 150W driver running the 4 strips bro :thumbsup:

1 Like

Finally they have left us in peace so windows now open and temps dropping already. House now 22, and the tent 26C so back to about normal lol

2 Likes

Phew. You can rest easy now bro lol. One side of my light still runs a lot hotter than the other. First phase wiring on this now. Driver/ammeter/fan driver etc. Making progress. Mrs client for nails is imminent though ha

1 Like

Sounds like your making progress there bro. My tent is now 24.3C and the house ambient is now 21.2C so the cobs are working great and it’s way brighter in there even with just them on. I tried to keep the feeds to each strip roughly the same length to avoid voltage drop. That’s why i ran an individual feed and return to each one although it made for more hassle lol btw what do you recon about adjusting the driver output for my strips, i got a voltage and current adjustment pot on this one. I might just reduce em a quarter turn each and see how it goes cos i aint got my meter rigged up yet.

1 Like

Turn your voltage up on the strips. It’s a 24v driver and they’re 24v strips. And then adjust the current to suit.

You will be pushing around 50w with your current pot down :wink:

1 Like

Strips back on bro, looking dam good! V at max and I just turned down a tiny fraction so the strips just dimmed very slightly and i’m sorted. Temps on all sinks are in the low 30s and that’s passive so game on:thumbsup:

It looks to be almost twice as bright in there now as it did with the 600W sodium/cooltube setup and it completely shames the 400 i had to put up with most of the time.

Many thanks to everyone here at OG and especially @anon58740919 i wouldn’t have done this without your support and encouragement mate. You are a proper sound geezer and i hope you make a real success out of your solstrip UK venture :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Cheers @Albannach tried to give you the best adivce I could going on. Strips dimmed and in low 30s is about as right as you can get it. (Without an ammeter of course) 30w a strip gives max efficiency. For the people that want more watts/£ they’re gonna need to spend an extra few quid sorting air flow for those reasons. Hopefully I get this one lit up for gaz tonight. And testing. Still on fatherly duties for the minute. And I’ve been steaming at it all day. hope the intrusion doesn’t affect my chakra :rofl:

Get an ammeter on at your first available opportunity brother

1 Like