Affordable COB LED Build

I didn’t mean to get a pound per plant by far. More like eventually when I find my method, but we all know some methods will never yield that much.

Now if I can add more plants to fill out space and get a HP again I’ll be happy for now. I can only imagine what I would have gotten if I had trained and not had so many issues last grow. Still I’m looking at 0.5g per watt at my 400 or so watts used. I got 200g after trimming it all and I had sampled enough while it was drying after the possible mold scare(that turned out to be nothing) to fill a pint jar completely full. To get a pound per grow I’d have to basically double everything and cross my fingers as inexperienced as I am.

Rn I’m interested in the science behind the grow. It’s looking like by the time I have it all figured out this auto will be harvested anyways.

I’m interested in seeing what I can yeild even with the small container.

Thank you for helping me to understand the lifespan I can expect if I don’t push the LEDs hard enough to burn out diodes. That will easily pay itself off no matter the initial cost at a 10y responsible and safe usage assuming faults don’t occur replacing drivers as needed. I assume the drivers would be the first to be replaced if you were able to make the LEDs last 10y.

At least I got the approval to continue growing again as long as I keep the smell contained this time. I finally squeezed the real answer out of them and it was the smell that made them say no to future grows. Yet not once did they tell me I had to contain it past the first month of the grow. I had so much time to fix that if it was a priority for them, bit with their nonchalant attitude they made it seem like they don’t mind the smell. I mean they went noseblind to it and somehow none of their friends noticed there was weed in the house, so maybe we’re all just sensitive to the smell. IDK. Either way I’m excited I don’t have to stealth and lie to my folks about growing this time as they’re not exactly stupid.

Oh yeah🤦🏻‍♂️ half the reason I had to grow in secret was my sadly dementia suffering grandma who moved back in the house. She’s a reefer madness believer. If she so much as smells a faint hint of weed she freaks out that she’ll go crazy.

1 Like

Im doing China Strips, not cobs but here it is

1 Like

Maybe go for small (micro) stealth grows then cos they are very cheap to light properly with led strips and you can still get decent yields if you have a couple of cabs going in constant rotation. Check out what @Mr.Sparkle (among others) have managed to achieve with very little space or investment.

Ultimately you need your own place/space to grow where you control who gets access. Good luck pal. A

3 Likes

Okay I am doing COB’s

I just got my first delivery of 12V 28Watt COB Strips - Will follow up on it, in the Hack Shack later on!

5 Likes

Can you get a lux meter app for a phone or something bro cos you are doing a lot of experimenting and it would be nice to see what you actually get from these things :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I have a lux meter on the way, my phone have a terrible light senssor I guess.
Have tried a few app’s and I can only get a max reading on 10.000 LUX from it, no matter what light I put it under and how close.

But in the end the plants will paint a clear picture, but yeah it takes a lot of time and not as easy to calculate with.
Once I get the Lux meter, I will post some numbers on the different strips!

4 Likes

What width are those heatsinks mate and could u possibly send me a link for them?

Cheers

1 Like

146mm bro, chose profile A from the list then length etc :thumbsup:

1 Like

Cheers mate I was actually looking at the same ones last night :wink:

1 Like

You can passively run a 1 meter length with cobs or strips at around 120W but if you bolt on a couple of 5" case fans it’ll take 300W no prob and still be cool to touch.

The negative = If both fans fail you’ll have meltdown :grin:

1 Like

Make sure your circulation fan picks up the slack if you have a meltdown. Should at least cover you till you get to your room

1 Like

If i ever build another active cooled rig i’ll look into some kind of thermal cutoff switch. The easy way is just to run each fan from it’s own individual wallwart PSU so if one fails the other will still run :thumbsup:

1 Like

I just want to run 4 cobs at 120w all together on 2 seperate lengths of heatsink, 2 to each piece without having to have fans running if that’s possible.

I’m already having a meltdown :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just no where near a metre for 2 cobs

2 Likes

No prob bro just order 2 x 50cm sink bars at 146mm wide. They will handle 60W each no prob without having to fit fans.

2 Likes

I don’t think his tent is even 500 wide @Albannach. It’s a canny little thing but you would struggle with a single plant in it unless you top it multiple times and constantly train it.

2 Likes

Yeah mate, my tent is only 40cm wide :expressionless:
I would probs have to have 30 to 35cm length but unsure if I would get away with passive cooling that small?

I have 2 plants in atm and its a right fk on.
The height is 120cm which is fine, it’s just a bit shit not having the width(girth) @Esrgood4u knows the feeling :sweat_smile:
I trained 1 plant which is growing in a nice shape but the other one went a bit mental :sweat_smile:
I can’t access it as much as I’d like to either which makes it worse.
My meizhi 300 is only really 140w but I can tell it’s shite compared to the rusults from cob grows I’ve been looking at.
I just need a decent light in there as I can’t keep the meizhi as close as I’d like to the plants as it burns fk out of them

3 Likes

It’s your mam that knows that feeling :rofl:

3 Likes

The general guide for decent yields is 35W per square foot with LED’s. You have a tent just over a foot wide but you don’t say what the length is.

If it’s square shaped, 40cm x 40cm is around 1.7sq/ft so you’d need around 50W so i’d go with a single CLU048 cob on a cpu cooler running at 50W. You can get kit’s if you don’t fancy too much diy.
If it’s rectangular - say 40 x 80 then you’d need roughly 100W
You could fit a 50cm heatsink bar in there no prob so i have to assume it’s the first option.

3 Likes