Amsterdam Guide

Hello, I’ve thought it could be good idea to share our favorite spots in European Mecca of pot smoking - Amsterdam. Share what you recommend to see there when visiting and where to stop by for a reefer :airplane:

De Dampkring Coffeeshop

Handboogstraat 29

My and my friends most favorite Coffeeshop is De Dampkring. Very nice atmosphere, great buds everytime we visited (at least five times). Maybe little bit expensive, but positives always overweight. In last three years they adjusted to Netherland law and don’t sell any alcoholic beverages (not even beer). (Nevermind I’m addicted to Chocomel more than beer :chocolate_bar: :beer: :slight_smile: )…

Buying outside of A’dam

On our last visit we have tried to buy also in small city 20km south of Amsterdam. Even if it is forbidden by law - coffeeshops can sell to tourists only in Amsterdam due to capital’s mayor’s exception. In the rest of Holland they should sell only to registered locals. We were very surprised. They sold us few grams without any questions (we couldn’t hide our accent :alien:), quality was good (although selection much smaller) and price was like half of what you pay in Amsterdam. So I definitely recommend it! :tractor:

Coffeeshops to avoid

We’ve had really bad experience with Bulldog Coffeeshop, they sold us some “Misty” which looked resinous but it was sparkled with some non-resinous probably starch, because that “resin” dissolved in water :open_mouth: That is really unfortunate because years earlier they’ve got really working space cakes :icecream: but Bulldog eventhough it might be oldest coffeeshop is never more for me…

Coffeshop Directory:

Interactive Map with opening hours:

The Economist analyses why Amsterdam’s coffeeshops are closing…

Yellow Mellow, probably oldest coffeeshop in A’dam (opened in 1967) had to close 31/12/2016.

Dutch governments have been clamping down on coffeeshops by banning those in border cities from serving tourists, and forcing the closure of establishments near schools. A hairdressing school 230 meters down the road was the proximate cause for Mellow Yellow blazing out; a new rule states that they must be at least 250 meters apart.
Given the density with which Amsterdammers live on top of each other, nearly 20 coffeeshops have had to close due to the proximity rule. Another 30 were stubbed out as part of an effort to clean up the seediest parts of the red light district a few years ago.