And the Rockets Red Glare

If you’ve never seen a rocket launch, then today could be the day. Load up the bong and take a look this afternoon. Live coverage begins at 1:26 p.m. local (4:46 p.m. EDT; 2046 GMT) on Monday, April 26. :rocket:

Always fun to watch!

5 Likes

I LOVE rocket launches!! :partying_face:

Boy, I miss the old Saturn 5’s… That first second where it sat there on full burn with all of the ice condensate dropping off and then the slow shuddering climb… magic :+1:
3 million parts - flying in formation…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

LOL! Sounds like you’ve seen a few. Rockets have been part of my life since I was a teen. Retired and moved now and no longer involved. Still exciting to watch. (I will miss feeling the earth rumble under me on this one - I’ve moved too far away)

3 Likes

A childhood treasure… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I love it! Did you ever design and build one?

2 Likes

OH yeah! Four of us were the core group with a couple part timers occasionally. My specialty was the electric igniters.

We learned a lot and nobody killed or injured (not for lack of trying) :rofl:.
We launched 5 or 6 rockets, the last one was the longest downrange - about 3/4 mile (launched at 80`). It went further than planned, we found it embedded in the parking lot of the local community college :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I bet that caused quite the ruckus! The world sure was a fun and exciting place to explore when we were young. (maybe I’m showing my age, but I guess with a name like Gpaw, you’re probably in my age group :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Glad we lived through it and now we get to tell the tales.

Trust me, this launch today is nothing like that. This one going today is a Delta IV. A ground rumbler to say the least.

2 Likes

I was in Florida and watched the last shuttle launch. It was epic to see in person, we were in a parking lot watching it launch. Super awesome too see in person.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was very cool. :+1: :+1:

I love the change in lingo, not once did anyone say spy satellite :laughing:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

@Pawsfodocaws You’re right it’s 100% better to be there in person! :+1: @Gpaw - They are called GPS satelites - you know, for guidance so we don’t get lost. Surly, no one is spying on anyone, right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I got to see the last Saturn launch and it was at night. Apollo 17 liftoff was incredible- a sunrise at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNoV0_Y95g

1 Like

Neat! :crazy_face: :open_mouth: