Any one keeping seeds for moms instead of clones

Other than tap root and side rooting of clones .any pros/cons to making seeds mother plants?

Not sure if I understand your question…

Seems obvious but when you keep clone you keep that exact specimen… with seeds there will always be some variability…

But of course seeds are easily stored and kept long-term…

1 Like

I see your point
Looking for experience in keeping mother plants from seed instead of clones

Can you be more specific?

Imagine you have pack of seeds and want to select the best motherplant from them. It will take you more time to cut clones from original plant, let them root and then cultivate them through flower cycle… Usually growers cut few clones from original plant and switch that original plant into flowering. It saves them few weeks. And it takes less space to keep clones during selection instead of grown plants.

4 Likes

If I understand your question, the only real downside to using a seed instead of a clone is you don’t know what the mother plant is goin to produce until you’ve run her. So if you’re using plants from seed instead of clone there’s always that question of what’s inside the chocolate?

On the positive side, it’s incredibly rare for seeds to be infected with pathogens. Absolutely not impossible, but the chance of getting something from clones is like one in three.

5 Likes

That’s what I meant clones have STD’s n such.

2 Likes

There’s virussesses that you won’t get rid of either. Mess around and take in the wrong cut and end up having to wipe out the entire stable.

2 Likes

One way is to grow from seed to full flower then revegetate the plant and keep it as a mother.
That way you know what she will produce and clones come from in-house avoiding outside contaminations.

6 Likes

Thats what i did at first.

Either way itll be a mom producing clones that are cut and face all the same issues. Technically a clone should be branchier n offer more clones than the seed. But will not have taproot. They bind pots without a taproot.so taproot, fiberous root its all root. Either will produce. Its really personal choice. I just revegged a winner to keep clones. Only cause i had no other way to guaruntee that exact flower. Now that i have rooted clones of her im not pressed for her. So Flipped her big ass. N ill build a clone to be the new mother in case she dont make it through another chop. I think the beast will be just fine though.

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Sea of Green Technique