How to mother plant?

Guys i have a few harvests under my belt but i never messed with clones or having a mother plant. I do have a 2x4 and a 4x4 and thinking how much more convenient would it be to have a mom or two and just flower cuts instead of buying seeds, hoping they germ (just had 10 in house duds super bummed about) seedling stage, veg, then flower. If i could go right to veg then flower that would be more convenient i would think. Is there a post already with tips and tricks to maintain a mom? Any advice would be great

8 Likes

How are your hands at cloning? Mothering is not too complicated. Cloning is not either but it can be tricky.

Itā€™s not my typical MO but when I do I tend to take a clone of a clone of a clone rather than maintain mothers.

5 Likes

I sadly do the same. Itā€™s not the best practice in the world. But itā€™s easier than keeping a mom in my opinion.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure there are super detailed guides on here, but for a mother keep the light low, feed light, trim the roots when needed (or just use fabric pots), and just keep pruning them to keep them the size youā€™d like.

9 Likes

I have never cloned before. Just seed to harvest a few times.

1 Like

Why is this not the best? So you guys are saying you clone off of whatever is in veg or flower (assuming they are clones)

2 Likes

Theyā€™re saying instead of keeping the seed plant mother or cut they receive as a mother they just take a clone before they throw the plants into flower, veg that plant out, take a clone before flower, flower it out, and on and on.

5 Likes

Now Iā€™ve been told and have read things that say the genetics fall apart or the potency goes down doing the clone of a clone of a clone style. I have only done this my entire growing career and have never seen either of the previous mentioned negatives happen. My longest run was a Purple Afghan Kush. 35 times I cloned a clone. Zero issues. The one caveat is your clone will be only as healthy as the clone you take it from. Keep ā€˜em healthy and no problems.

Grundle

8 Likes

Sweet thanks now i just need to look into how to clone

1 Like

Itā€™s not very hard. There are different ways to accomplish it. I prefer a aeroponics cloner, but others like the grow plugs. Personal preference plays into it. I tried plugs first and failed then bought an ez-cloner and never looked back. I now have a 16 site one and a thirty two site. Use the shit outta them.

Grundle

4 Likes

Yeah many ways to do it itā€™s just trying to find what jives best with your style.

3 Likes

The reason itā€™s not the best is that each time you take a clone you run the risk of it not rooting or making it out of seeding stage before your ā€œmotherā€ plant is flipped into flower. You can setup runs so that you donā€™t flip till the clone has rooted but it usually take 10-20 days to root depending on your setup and itā€™s harder to manage the longer vegging times etc etc. You can also take a cut of a flowering plant, reveg the ā€œmomā€ or take many cuts before flower to help with these situations. There really are a lot of options.

3 Likes

The clones look awesome but they are not cheap, you think they are worth it?

2 Likes

If you have money for an aero cloner get one. They make it really easy. If not, other ways arenā€™t hard either. Take extra clones always. Easier to toss or give away extras than reveg or lose it.

4 Likes

Good advice. Iā€™m not a cloning expert by any means but Iā€™m working on improving.

Hereā€™s two moms that were clones, alongside a near full 24 site cloner that I need 6 plants from. 4 for next run, 2 for new moms. These moms will go outside to flower once I see nice rooted clones.

Once i get the timing right i can take cuts, root and veg for average 5 weeks, then place into flower. Repeatā€¦ in two tents and harvest every 5 weeks or so. Thatā€™s my plan anywayā€¦

5 Likes

I used to do like the others in this thread. Just take a clone before you flower, generally want to make sure it roots before you flip but can always take a cutting from a flowering plant if it doesnā€™t root.
I did this for many,many years with no Iā€™ll effect. Like stated above, if you plants are healthy when clones, your clones will be just as good.

Thereā€™s a thread on bonsai mothers at icmag that is very informative on mothers and keeping them long term.

2 Likes

Watch Multiplicity with Michael Keaton. :joy: I mean heā€™s in it. You donā€™t have to invite him over.

2 Likes

Befor takin cuts load the mum up with bloom feed ( higher p and k in ratio ) for a week beforehand

Do this also for any plant that has been in veg feed for a while

The plant leafs canā€™t store p and k as easily as n ( these are the two defs that show in cuts first )
So when cuts are trying to root they donā€™t quickly run out of p and k
Too much n in cuts also extends rooting time
: )

In veg p is for roots and k is for plant health

And recut ends after applying clonex
As if the cut end is blocked with gell the the cuts will struggle to keep their turgor

6 Likes

This is a legendary write up on how to keep a Mother by a legend of a man Oldtimer1,RIP.Go To the search bar and type in Bonsai Mums by Oldtimer1.All you need to know about keeping a mom in an 8inch by 8inch space and producing shit tons of cuttings right in there.

3 Likes

This is the best Mom tutorial Iā€™ve read. There are other versions around, maybe even on OG?

5 Likes