Anyone else enjoying Living Soil ?

Hey guys ! I just wanted to see if I could post here so I could get an even better understanding of different techniques on indoor living soil !

I encourage everyone to share their grows and say whatever they are excited about ! Thank you

6 Likes

I’ve been growing in Organic living soil for approximately 3 years now, and never looked back since switching from bottled nutes.

This is my current soil mix recipe.
I also water in with Quillaja (saponins), FPJ, Aloe & LABs occasionally.

50ltr Sheep’s wool/bracken compost (peat free)
15ltr worm castings
15lt pumice
5ltr birchwood biochar

Amendments:
Neam meal 1 cup
Alfalfa meal 1cup
Malted Barley 1cup
Insect frass 0.5 cup
Kelp meal 1cup
Powdered Aloe 0.5 cup
Fish Meal 1 cup
Gypsum 2 cups
Basalt 3 cups
Mycorrhizal fungi 0.25 cup

Veggin’

Week 6 flower

:v:

13 Likes

I grow with the most simple organic method I can think of. Some cheap bagged or recycled soil and cheap organic ammendment bags. Epsoma or Jobe’s Organics work great and are cheap and available. I mix the ammendments into the soil at the rate the bag says, then water straight out of the tap start to finish. Other than transplanting and pruning plants, I just watch. The hardest part of indoor growing is gauging your environment and knowing that changes need to be made based on your parameters.

7 Likes

I currently run in a mix of peat (40%), compost (worm, seafood and sheep 30%), aeration (rice hulls, pumice, perlite (not great) 30%) with Gaia green dry amendments. I throw some other stuff at the plants for fun but I really don’t need to, just this and water is plenty.

5 Likes

I think for me, the whole process of making the soil and learning why I’m adding each thing, has been hugely beneficial to my grows.
Understanding what the plant needs and why, has really helped me have smooth grow seed to harvest.
Plus no messing around with measuring bottles and no PHing my water. Means I have more time to just sit and stare at my plants :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I got True living organics, by The Rev, sometime around 2018. Still using same soil! Not saying that I understand it all, by any means, but that’s what this place is for!:wink:
I also like to keep up with buildasoil, and enjoy his YouTube show, but social security doesn’t quite supply that kind of funds!
And like I said, I may not understand it all, but I have been " self sufficient " ever since.
For me, rainwater only is not only the best way but the easiest way.
:older_man::owl::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Wow that’s so cool never heard of anyone using sheep product. I ended up going to Clackamas Coots recipe. Some compost but mostly letting the worms do the work over time I’ll add some later I think build a soil has some nice stuff. How many gallons is yours

1 Like

I was just thinking of this, my flowers will eventually demand more water and my automatic dripper might need more go but I think iirc the blusoak tape feeds on demand.

Not sure if it’ll be enough

Bro … not using bottles is nice. I was a full botanicare guy and had every single product. I had some mind blowing results but I feel like I want the plant to do what it wants and eat when it wants. Plus the self watering blusoak tek is nice ! It’s a y to dial at the start but that’s all good ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went with their Clackamas Coots recipe they have their and soil of my choice, shipping their soil to me would of doubled the price but yeah their prices are wild. Soil in general is so expensive but I guess in the long run it joust goes the long way. 1/4 of my soil is years old recycled soil. 1/3 of the rest of that is 1 year old and half of it is new ish :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the compost I use,

The Sheep’s wool apparently helps with water retention, wich does seem to be true, as I’m rarely finding my soil underwatered. Even went over a week without watering and they didn’t show signs of needing it.

The fabric bed is aprox 20Gal (US), its 60cm x 60xm x25cm. So basically covers the entire footprint if the grow area, with a few cm either side to allow for airflow.

2 Likes

I got the BAS Coots mineral mix. I figured I’d source the peat moss etc locally.

1 Like

If it costs money it’s not the best solution.
Amend soil with a wide diversity of kitchenscraps, tree leaves, grass clippings, dandelion leaves, nettle, etc. There’s all the nitrogen and minerals you’ll ever need.
Topdress or mix it in with whatever certified organic bagged soil you find and let cook for a month or more, fluffing it up every day or every few days.
Perfect moisture level is when grabbing a handful, making a fist and one drop of water comes out.
Paying for amendments is for them rich folk with too much money. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

@Rogue, Yes, Sir, the BEST!!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

“Do it yourself homemade plant fertilizers”

Dynamic Accumulators

2 Likes

While I disagree agree with your last sentence… But I respect your point of view. Happy growing !