Anyone have any experience combating grasshoppers?

Anyone have experience combating grasshoppers organically or biologically on flowering plants? The neem and karanja oil kept them at bay through veg, but now that I have quit spraying in flower, they are taking a liking to a few of my ladies.
It also doesn’t help that I can’t let the chickens free range anymore until I can dispatch the bloodthirsty fox living next door, as the yard pimps really put the hammer down on the bug populations.
Anyhow, I need a solution that is proven for flowering plants.

:sunglasses:
Doc

4 Likes

You need to encourage predators into the grow area. Most birds will chow down on them. Maybe add a bird feeding table amongst your plants.
How To Identify and Protect Your Cannabis From Grasshoppers - RQS Blog.

6 Likes

Mockingbirds absolutely pound the grasshoppers. Chipping sparrows love the baby hoppers.

Bird baths, perches, and other bird friendly stuff may bring them in.

4 Likes

Plant more trees, there can never be too many trees! :smile:
We can make our houses in them.

3 Likes

I have many bird feeders and bird baths for the birds to use. The problem is, after a historical early ice storm 2 years back, the bird populations really took a hit around here and hasn’t really rebounded around here yet.
We are also dealing with extreme drought conditions and an absolutely ridiculous amount hoppers because of it. Its almost like the perfect storm.
I guess I was just hopefull someone had the magic bullet. Hahahaha

5 Likes

A copy and paste.

Natural Grasshopper Control

A grasshopper disease called Nosema locustae can slowly kill the pests. It’s available as a dry, flaky product under the label Nolo Bait, which you can apply to areas where grasshoppers lay their eggs. It’s important to reapply it after a rain. It’s most effective on young grasshoppers, but not all grasshopper species are susceptible to the disease. Another option is a garlic-based repellent ($12, Arbico Organics).

5 Likes

We get swarms of them in the late summer where i live. They’ll munch the leaves and have sex on the stalks but they tend to leave the flowers alone. I try and feed them to the black widows in my yard, but they tend to break out of the webbing.The birds where i live won’t touch them. I’ve been killing them on sight.

2 Likes

Monty python style???
PerfumedHonestAiredale-size_restricted

1 Like

The Nolo bait also sold as semispore bait are the most effective, but I think there is a manufacturing shortage this year as it is out of stock everywhere it seems…

:robot:

2 Likes

Lucky this year, the dragonflies took care of the grasshoppers before they got too big and out of control.

2 Likes