Invasion of the caterpillars!

I was clipping some dead leaves off my plant and noticed sections of my plant were brown and dead looking. Upon inspecting deeper I to the bus i fly d a caterpillar! I noticed more spots on my plants and found more caterpilars. I’m probably three weeks from harvesting what is my best option at this point.

5 Likes

Unbelievably, hand picking may be your best bet.

Outdoors, you might try smoking them out. Chemicals are not a good option at this stage in the bud development.

5 Likes

hand picking if you have the time too, or harvest and hand pick

3 Likes

I was hoping for a natural spray to kill them, either way I have to go over each plant meticulously today and eradicate the caterpillars. So mucous of action is this…

1.Destroy all caterpillars, lol
2.Clean their fecal and waste matter off with water
3.Cut off areas that are affected and brown to garbage.

If there is anything else I should do please let me know, TIA!

3 Likes

I just had the same problem. I had to harvest a few days early as they don’t attack until the bud is nice and stinky. Bastards! Hang in there! Pick those bastards off and say a hail mary

If you can, move the plants to another part of the yard. It takes them awhile to find it again. Avoid trees.

3 Likes

I went through the four plants today got all the bugs off. I washed the areas they were hiding in. There was one bud that was slimyish! I cut that one off. I’m going to let the plant dry and then I should be able to clean the dead material off better. In total found about 8 caterpillars and 6 cacoons
The plants were soaked from rain… I would love an all natural spray that would kill them and not hurt my buds. For two of my plants I’ve begun the flushing process this week. The other two will get nuts for another week.

The sick bud…

Invader

A lol bud that broke off with one bad one

1 Like

Thanks for verifying what grasshopper damage looks like. I wasn’t sure, but I had a good theory as of this morning

2 Likes

If you happen to be smoking a ‘J’ or have a cotton swab with small amounts of alcohol on the tip, you might get them to curl away from the stem by just touching them; easier to get a hold of.

2 Likes

Ah shit! Caterpillars and cankerworms! Such a pain in the ass! I pulled one that was completely inside the bud last week. The worst part of outdoor growing.

1 Like

Safer brand bT spray every 3 days until harvest & go insane picking them off. I did hundreds every day last year and nearly stopped breathing a few times. :head_bandage:

I haven’t tried H2o2 yet but that might help.
Spray either at dawn or dusk, allowing an hour to dry out before UV or 2 before dark.

My climate is so arid that it’s not a mold/rot creator.

But you should have been on them with the bT from the beginning…I’m hoping to f’n go genocidal on mine.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

My home backs up to a wooded area, I had been periodically been spraying the plants with a liquid soap and water mixture. Would come across caterpillars far and inbetween. Til now, the war is on!!!

3 Likes

You should try Grandevo it’s a bene bacteria like bt and spinosaid. It’s supposed to be more environmentally safe. Spinosaid hits bees and other beneficial insects hard. BT destroys the digestive tract of amphibians potentially killing them. Grandevo does neither it just targets the chewers. It’s supposed to be safe up till end of harvest but personally I do not spray in late flower. It’s a lil expensive but I love me some bees and toads :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I’ve read a bit about both…didn’t know about the amphibians, but honestly, we’re living through their mass extinction. :cry: :frog:
I’ll check El Grandevo :taco: :smile: out.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Dude… :slight_frown: I’m a terrible person than. I spread so much this year…
Thank you for the info

www.i-sis.org.uk/Commercial_Formulations_of_Bt_Toxins_Lethal_to_Amphibians.php

2 Likes