Anyone know what this pest is?

Got a worm bin!! +20

3 Likes

I concur with @toastyjakes that their fruit flies probably came in on the skins of fruit that ya put in the worm bin, freezing food and burying will help tremendously in keeping them in check.

2 Likes

Asian Lady Beetle (Larva)
Besides being colorful and considered cute, lady beetles are beneficial because they consume large numbers of injurious plant pests including aphids, mealybugs and scale insects. The Asian lady beetle(Harmoniaaxyridis) was thought to be of such value as a predator that it was collected in Asia and introduced across the United States over many years to control pests in orchards and other crops. While it has done its share to save valuable crops, it also invades structures each fall in greater numbers than those of native lady beetles.

So, a predator and not a pest?

4 Likes

Definitely a predator, and a beneficial one at that.

5 Likes

Frankly, Iā€™m shocked that no one knew that is a pic of a Lady bug larvaā€¦ you guys need to get to know your beneficial bugs, before you kill them all.

3 Likes

Great way to make your first postā€¦ in a 10 month old thread and being an ass

5 Likes

This is how you handle comments here, by calling names, thatā€™s very grown up of you. I expect more out of a moderator.
Even you didnā€™t know what that insect was, yet Iā€™m an ass?

2 Likes

You are rightā€¦
and now we know. :sunglasses:
(at least what a ladybug larva looks likeā€¦)

Most of us probably research these things if we get bugsā€¦
and many growing indoor gardens donā€™t see much of these types of critters.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not here to cause any problems, only to help others grow cannabis as Iā€™ve been at it for decades. I have knowledge that I want to share, thatā€™s all.

I donā€™t remember ever being treated like this on the old OverGrowā€¦ how times have changed.

6 Likes

Can we look at this in context?

Youā€™re right that itā€™s a common beneficial insect - outside, in some climates.

Youā€™re right that the immediate response was reactive and perhaps unkind.

If a new member to the original Overgrow came in with a tone that could be described as patronizing, do you think the community would welcome them with open arms? I doubt it.

Other members here did chime in with the correct ID, at least 3 days before your post.

Weā€™re all trying to learn together and sometimes itā€™s helpful to take a step back, so our tone or perceived tone does not alienate anyone in the process.

This is where Iā€™d use the :rant off: emoji, if it were the old Overgrow.

8 Likes

The way it was written, it sounded a bit snide.

Though, sometimes text will come off that way even though it may not have been intended.

Like you, many of us are here to help others and also to learn on new experiences. A response (ripping on folk) can cause folk to hesitate when asking questions or responding to others. We want to avoid such hesitation. The moderators and the community do tend to scrutinize newly registered folk to help steer contribution, as much as possible, towards polite and respectful discourse.

@DesertGrown, welcome to OG. Hope this was just a misunderstanding?

p.s. if youā€™ve never see one of those things, it really is a stretch to imagine it could be a ladybug. And youā€™re right, Iā€™d certainly like to be able to identify beneficial insects better.

7 Likes

Many times when we write something it is specially difficult for others to find out whatā€™s our mood or our intention while stating something. That feeling is augmented for the rest when being new in the place.

Once you will know better our community it will be easier for you to accept some comments due to the different personalities that coexist in this place. Letā€™s stick to what we all have in common , your help and knowledge will always be appreciated ā€¦

6 Likes

It sounded snide because of the influx of fighting in the past weeks. I agree, if I did not KNOW Desertgrown, I might have concluded the same thing!!! He does not know we have had , or rather you MODS ,have had crap to contend with and clean up. He is also a MOD at another site, so he sees crap too.
Knowing him for 6 years, I PROMISE his intentions are AWESOME!! He has 100 times more knowledge than I will ever have, and I trust him 100% . He will be an amazing addition to this site. He will NOT cause any shit, give him a break please , after this post Im sure he gets it!!!

I agree Jake, was not the best 1st post, lol. BUT, then again, we ALL make not so great posts every now and again.
When you 1st start off here, like he is, the site is hard and not easy to understand the ā€œtimelineā€ type of threads we have. I am sure he had NOT seen the previous posts saying what the things were. His intentions are 100 % up front, no hidden agenda with this man.

Like I said, known him, dealt with him, traded with him, for over 5 years! He is a good one. YOU AND I Jake started off on rocking footing, we are now friends hereā€¦PLEASE give him the benefit of doubt, when he reads all this he will understand, and he will be a valuable addition to this site!!!

Desert, the last few weeks we have been HIT by asshats joining just to stir shit up, and jack with good members. They usually hit old or dead threads(like this one) and cause grief. Their 1st post, I GOTTA ADMIT typically come off like your 1st post., lol. SORRY. I KNOW you, KNOW you were being cool, the rest here did not!!!

I promise S, hang out, share your knowledge, and you will be warmly excepted.

GO MAKE A THREAD or post in the introduction thread, and let everyone know who you are, and that you are only here for the 420ā€¦not to fight or stir anything up!!!

Loki, Jakeā€¦he is cool, and a great guy too! Please let him show that to you.

9 Likes

Ok, no doubts. This was just the newly registered + initial post thing as youā€™ve noted. Thanks for the great feedback.

6 Likes

Yah Monā€¦promise he is a great dude. Grows in high desert of Cali, has for EONS, lol. Makes some amazing Xā€™s too! I have run several!!!

Ball is in your court now D.G. I have said my peace, now it is your turn. TRUST ME man, YOU WANT to be here. I too had a HARD time at first, even banned my 1st week, TRUE!!! Now I love it here. You will too, give it time and start posting. Be polite your first few post till they get to know you, then you can tell Jake to go fuck off!!!LOL
Hi @toastyjakes

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Sorry man, sorry you got snipped at, lol. We are just trying to keep it polite in here, they do not know you, they will give you the chance to prove who you areā€¦JUST BE YOU MANā€¦pepā€™s here will like YOU!!!

3 Likes

I went back and reread the whole thread and now I see my mistake. Iā€™d like to apologize to anyone I may have upset, as it was not my intention.
Iā€™d also like to thank Jet for helping to set things straight. My post DID seem snide, Iā€™ll do better next time.

I can totally see why a grower may not know what that bug wasā€¦ youā€™ll experience them growing outdoors in nature quite often and in greenhouses or indoor gardens that have used Ladybugs as a predatory deterrent.
They are one of the best bugs you can have crawling around on your cannabis plants, period!

I still need to introduce myself to everyoneā€¦ Iā€™ll do that now.

14 Likes

It is Nice to see this reaction from you
Welcome to the forum

6 Likes

THAT is the D.G I KNOW!!! SWEET, DesertGrown in da house!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing Paul! To be honest, I am GLAD your here too!!! Your almost famous, do not know any famous people, hope you hang out here too mang!!!

THANKS for saying that to my friend!!! Means a lot!!!

5 Likes

Hay @DesertGrown glade to see you my friend
There a good bunch here seems like a friendly group
Stick around give it some time
Hope all is well
Peace
Paps

4 Likes