Are these mites or something else?

Scoped some lower leaves and saw a few critters crawling around. I sprayed some Spinosad, could probably get away with some pepper or neem oil, but buds are forming. I found nothing on the upper leaves.

I got a video of it, but can’t post it here.

3 Likes

Look like mites yes! Not good man!

3 Likes

I hate to say it but those are mites, you have to treat the whole grow to get rid

3 Likes

I just read the label on my bottle of neem oil it says safe up to day of harvest but it smells bad and I don’t think I want it on the buds, maybe a sulfur bomb

1 Like

Ru in soil? Yes those are mites but wondering if there predatory mites? Are they relatively fast movers for there size? The one to the mid rib to me looks like a hypoaspis miles to me!

Can you find any in your soil crawling around?

4 Likes

method 1 pps is also safe up until harvest and kills mites and some eggs on contact - it’s rosemary and peppermint oils

https://growthefficiency.com/product/method-1-pps-16oz/

5 Likes

Salutations ReikoX,

Please receive the expression of my genuine sympathy!

:worried:

It happens i once had them even in my refrigerator… No joy there, the only thing that i could afford to do in my remote location of the far-side country, formerly between a few mountains (…), was to lower temperature while trying to figure out what to do next - which was NOT to spray using neem oil as The Borg was able to adapt anyway: they mutated and then i had a sample of neem-resistant parasites! Plus a tiny amount of nuggets, eventually, which i was never able to vaporize because of the taste!!

:rolling_eyes:

Other than a cold environment i had to give the plants some last-resort mechanical treatment: a water shower which targeted both the mothers and eggs located under the leaves, where they remain until it’s far too late, hence my desire to find some easier and more systematic prevention method. Not to mention these insects can enter a “diapause” state which lowers their metabolism and hence reduces their sensitivity to chemical warfare… But i was a newbie dealing with spidermites and still found no satisfying/convincing retaliation plan.

I wish you luck with that but this is bad news, may your session rest in peace! Resistance is practically futile.

M’well maybe it’s not too late to have a change of mind and try to grow seeds instead… :thinking:

Or maybe i’m just over-reacting since i was traumatized!

…and a couple plants too…

YMMV.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

6 Likes

Looks like beneficial ‘Amblyseius fallacis’ mite, to my untrained eye.

http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/product.php?id=000000301

5 Likes

I am in soil, no-till. It’s from seed, so not sure. Wish the video worked. It has flanges on the back and front and the way it moves reminds me of a street sweeper. I’m not really seeing damage no stipiling and I’m not seeing a bunch of excrement. I’m not sure if it’s covered in eggs or trichomes. I imagine if I scoped the soil I would find all kinds of stuff crawling around. I’ll update with plant pics if my phone will charge. :frowning:

5 Likes

Salutations Scissor-Hanz,

Looks trained enough to me, oh and it’s more complicated than i’d have ever expected!

« …feeds on various mites including two-spotted spider… »

Mites eating mites!! What a confusing nightmare… :dizzy_face:

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

4 Likes

If you see no damage they are beneficials. I freaked first time i seen them on my leaves too. Just do your regular ipm. If they leave they wernt ment to be there:)

7 Likes

The OP photos are spider mites. You never need to throw out mite or PM infected plants. This is an easy fix.

The CURE for mites and PM: Organic, not that I grow all organic, but this cure for mites is. Also can be sprayed any time, right up to harvest. Also cheap as chips. It also WORKS! I got this recipe from George Van Patten (AKA: Jorge Cervantes).

1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide
mix the above with one gallon of water.

Saturate the entire plant with the spray as it is a contact spray. It does not work on mite eggs, but kills all stages of hatched mites on contact. It will also kill PM. Plants also like it and will improve in health when sprayed, as the sugar is absorbed it will increase the brix. The H2O2 breaks down into water and O2. If you do not like the sugar residue and spray right before harvest, you can rinse the colas when you harvest them.

Now for an all inclusive mite spray that kills the eggs as well, add 100:1 70% refined neem oil, which is 3.5 TB per gallon of neem per gallon. You can add it to the sugar/H2O2 spray mix for more effectiveness. It will kill any mites eggs that it comes into contact with. Neem breaks down pretty fast in light, so you want to spray in the evening or just before lights out. Some are bothered by the smell of neem, but I am not. Some claim that neem is toxic, but I do not know of a single case where anyone has ever been killed or became seriously ill by using neem, raw or refined. Refined neem has had the aza removed, so it will not go off after 4 months like raw neem will. It is also easy to mix and spray and does not need a spreader, unlike raw neem which needs a spreader and has to be mixed in a specific way to spray. You can also use the refined neem oil alone at the rate of 100:1 to kill mites, mite eggs and PM. After spraying with neem, the PM will be gone in 2 days, tops. I use refined neem on strains like GDP that are prone to PM with good results. I usually spray refined neem on PM prone plants every 2 weeks as a preventative to keep the PM away.

The plants seem to love this combination spray. I know several people that have used it effectively, including myself. With the sugar/H2O2 spray, you can spray just a cup of H2O2 in a gallon of water for a follow-up spray, as there is usually enough residual sugar on the leaves from the first spraying. Finally, mites and PM cannot become resistant to any of these ingredients like many other sprays. You can spray them over and over or rotated in with other sprays.

11 Likes

Now that’s some good information

3 Likes

Potassium Soap spray will kill them too…

1 Like

I’m with @lotus710 on this @ReikoX if no damage is done let them be , my guess if these are soil mites that have throughly cleaned up your soil they may be looking for other guys by venturing out into new territory they will keep themselves in check by dying off if there’s no food for them but as said by others get aggressive if plant damage occurs!

4 Likes

@BigSur you’ve got it man! That’s FAQ material for Mite Control right there. Really enjoy all your replies and the knowledge you share. Use that Miracle Grow!

Cheers

2 Likes

I had some yellowing on these two bottom leaves. I normally wouldn’t bother with it, but my dad told me he has mites on his plants. So, I took out the scope and had a look. This is what the leaf looked like. It doesn’t really look like bug damage to me, just looks like normal fading of the lowest leaves.

As you can see the plant look nice and healthy. I wouldn’t think there was a deficiency or problem, other than another week or two of stretch, hopefully they will stop before burning on the lights.

Here is a shot with the lights on. I scoped one of the top leaves of these plants and there was nothing to be found.

2 Likes

Posted the video to my IG account @reikox420

2 Likes

Scoped a lower leaf on all my plants and found nothing. Scoped some mid leaves in the no-till cab and found them on those leaves.

1 Like

Aaahhhh!!! The BORG, run for your lives.

2 Likes