Anyone use plastic rooting balls to make new plants?

Not sure why you dont see them as a cloning device, thats exactly what your doing when you use them
My neighbours think Im mental in the pitch black with my camera.

7 Likes

I didn’t have great success with it until I used a choke on the stem.
f0936ba5bded553d1013633d5476fd5bc9b9e0f9_2_447x500
I would get a basal but it didn’t root, I’m impatient by nature so maybe if I’d just held off and been more patient, anyhow a choke speeds up the process to clone like rooting speed.

4 Likes

Where do you choke? Below?

2 Likes

@JustANobody Yes just below the ball, I tighten it enough to restrict the flow but not stop it.

It’s a handy method for cloning late in flower when the typical way is less than ideal.

6 Likes

Thanks dude. Appreciate it!

1 Like

Air layering? Not for cannabis. I have much better success with root riot plugs. Air layering can introduce pathogens and virus into your plant. But I would consider it for other outdoor plants and trees. Too risky with cannabis in my opinion

3 Likes

Known as “air layering” :slightly_smiling_face:

If this kind of stuff doesn’t make you geek out on plants in general, you’re in the wrong business/hobby my friend!!

2 Likes

i have seen and used those trying to clone fruit trees. works well with apple trees.

never thought to try with ganja. not sure i would. i would suspect the root ball full of soil would prolly be too heavy for most cannabis branches. maybe if you had an ancient clone mom with thicker branches.

can’t really say for certain as i have never tried.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, how could anyone not love this stuff :joy:

1 Like

@JustANobody if youve got a lot of trees to work on you can get girdling scissors that you rotate around the branch to give you the girdle cuts.
Also if your doing lots of fruit grafts its worth getting a pair or two of grafting shears which , as long as you use similar dimension scion wood to the branch, will give a perfect marriage. Then just tape or wax the union.
Sterilize with iso between working on each tree so no nastys are spread

4 Likes

Now that’s dope

Dude very cool, thank you. No grafting at this point, but propegation.

2 Likes

I have the same shears, I was going to use this with trying to graft canna branches onto a donar plant

2 Likes

Take care they contain an awful lot of CHINESIUM over 100% or so Ive been informed.

It should be noted ,most fruit trees purchased have been grafted onto more vigorous rootstock. Cloning a limb may not give a similar result with those.

2 Likes

Only way to know is to try and document results

Hey bud, yeah my 1st intro to grafting was fruit trees on a hawthorn or blackthorn root stock, apparently you get a more compact growth and more resilient to pests and drought using hawthorn.

I thought it was cool af, apple, pear and plum tree in one.

4 Likes