Anyone use plastic rooting balls to make new plants?

I had purchased a bunch of these plastic rooting balls that I wanted to use to help make new plants while still attached and fed from the mother plant. Has anyone done this themselves?

If so what has your experience been pro or con? Any insight or suggestions on this is welcome

5 Likes

For those asking themselves wtf it is ^^
update : don’t cut to the phloem with canna, just scratch generously the superficial layer.

10 Likes

I have these as well and I plan to use them to propegate apple trees.

4 Likes

Was just talking about these yesterday with @JustANobody curious to hear of others findings :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve had some for a while now, but my bonsai mother plants are too small for them to be practical. I’m interested to see how they work for you.

1 Like

They do work. A Farmer Friend and I did some of his Apple, Plum, and Peach Trees several years back. I was impressed as the “new plant” budded right along with the Donor Parent…impressive. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

So whats the point of this if your not grafting?

1 Like

It’s a debate on itself for canna, but using the vigor and the full-throttle-feeding of the mother without interruption. You pass directly from the mother plant to another plant, without the clone’s intermediate state.

4 Likes

To make more trees. Most fruit trees aren’t grown from seeds, think of them as clone only strains.

5 Likes

@JustANobody so they do that above a node and cut below for a rooted clone? I’ve seen the method but never looked into how it works like you got a rootball now what it just stays there?

1 Like

Have quite a few of these on my fruit trees now the buds are forming and the sap is rising. The technique is called air layering and it works fine.

2 Likes

Well you take the plastic ball off once you are ready to plant the cutting. The ball is just to hold soil around the exposed area.

1 Like

Ahh that makes more sense. I thought it was just a way of creating extra nodes or branches and they left the plastic on

1 Like

Also you need to “ring bark” / girdle completely the branch you are air layering or the branch will just continue to feed from the mother and not root.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip.
Do you use soil or coco?

1 Like

Yes I use them for air layering new plants.
8acd3c731f45af4c70463a83253cca8974142c23_2_391x500
7e6834559cb95dbaf27a5414c276bc7950b55320_2_322x500
12fb2e75262f17972eef581a4fdc754ae698b35c_2_580x499
This particular example had been lost in the post.
46f02a89c24cd7e5a9b172e51b5f01ab5b2af5d8_2_555x500
Then nursed back to health

Fwiw you can see a branch buried, it’s for a new mother in future, it rooted and I was able to cut that away to.

9 Likes

Yoghurt pots and cling film do the same job if your skint.

4 Likes

Very cool to see this being used by cannabis growers! The more ya know!

4 Likes

I’ve use rock wool cubes and cling film in a pinch.
It works fine but the clingfilm is nightmare to work with,
the cloning balls are really convenient though tbh I don’t see them as a cloning device :thinking:

I’ve had good success using plastic baggies filled with coir/verm.
Older branches
Girdle a small section then I rub with gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
Sprinkle a small amount of root hormone powder along the cut length ways of filled baggie.
Fold around girdled section and tape.
Roots in 10-14 days.

10 Likes