Air layering - success

Hey just for the hell of it I decided to see how viable air layering was. Turns out…very. It took I would say about 4 weeks but the mother was just sitting there and the resulting clone was massive. Probably could flip right after it gets established.

I might try it on a lower branch on a flowering plant like week 4 and see if I can root and reveg.

Anyway here are some pics. Just soil and some of those cheap prop spheres from Amazon.

54 Likes

Super cool well played I like the sphere.

9 Likes

Been looking at these balls forever. Always wanted to try this, awesome! Now I gotta do it

5 Likes

How wet did you keep it?

8 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try this.
That’s so cool.
Congratulations on your success! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

I made them a little on the wet side. If I tightly squeezed the dirt 4-5 drops would come out instead of the single drop.

About 2 weeks in I dribbled some into one side of the ball. It was looking a little bit dry (I bet it was fine though).

I would recommend that you try and put the ball near a node or branch for it to rest on. I was nervous that the ball was going to slide and rip roots because I put one of them just mid branch.

9 Likes

I actually got them because I want to make a couple of clones of a native blueberry bush up in Maine on my family’s place. It’s been there since I was a kid and it produces a ton of tiny blueberry’s that taste amazing.

6 Likes

@Foreigner totally dropping said ball :laughing: :rofl: :see_no_evil:

:+1: @Magrowers Thanks for showing the 1-2-3 :camera:

Those clear spherical clamshells :astonished: look great

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I don’t take the low hanging fruit.

5 Likes

absolutly cool technique! :innocent:

3 Likes

A little DIY works too.

To a bucket of water add:
Long fibered sphagnum moss

Grab a handful of the hydrated sphagnum moss and squeeze water from it. Then make the handful of moss into a ‘mini hotdog bun’ shape. The stem of the plant will be the ‘hot dog’. Wrap the moss around the selected node/nodes on the stem and seal it with:

Aluminum foil can be wrapped over the cling seal. The foil can be removed to check for root formation.

6 Likes

He also said how wet do you keep it :rofl: @Foreigner :love_you_gesture::sweat_drops::yum::cat2:

4 Likes

Cooler than Deep Space! Thanks for sharing this @Magrowers. :+1: :+1:

What is the search term for those “Prop Spheres?” Amazon link? They look the the tool of choice for this.

-Grouchy

2 Likes

Here is what I used. Hope that helps.

Plant Rooting Grow Propagation… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3T747R?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

How long does it before transplanting?

1 Like

good lookin out! did you do anything special to the branch beforehand?

3 Likes

It was about 4 weeks for it to get that way. I transplanted last night so I will see how well they did this afternoon

2 Likes

Naw nothing special. Maybe I should have scratched a portion of the stem or something (it was a pretty woody stem) but I just slapped it on and hoped for the best. I bet trying different wetnesses or maybe some rooting gel I could speed things up considerably.

2 Likes

A small ziplock bag can also be used for this method.
Simply fill with your medium of choice-slit with knife across the width then fold over branch that’s been prepared (I scrape and coat with gel from aloe vera leaf)and secure with wire/cable ties/tape
In summer I’ve seen roots in 10days
Winter up to 30days

IMG_20230811_172835|281x499

18 Likes

Absolutely genius! Thank you, I’m going to try compostable plastic bags, see if they hold together long enough, and tie with strips of phormium leaf for a biodegradable version, will keep you posted, thank you thank you for the pics!

1 Like