Grow technique called layering

It’s from marijuana botany by rc clarke

Please buy his book he’s a scientist

12 Likes

Cool, thats a technique used on a lot of horticultural crops. It’s possible to do with cannabis, but other methods of propagation can be faster/cleaner.

5 Likes

The big question is…is it classed as one plant or six : )

4 Likes

Used to do it outside all the time.

4 Likes

Air layering is how I create more apple tree rootstocks to graft onto to increase my orchard size.

9 Likes

I’ve heard of the big lanky Indian sativas naturally doing that, where the branches touch ground, the put out roots and act like a supplementary nutrient system

3 Likes

That’s how black raspberries and trailing blackberries spread. The ones that grow erect canes spread through sucker roots.

7 Likes

Grapes too…sweet pots and yams…

2 Likes

I think you can do this with just a branch, but havent tried yet

2 Likes

You bet ya can

2 Likes

I mean a cut off branch lol, im talking about cutting off a branch and twisting/bending the stems and making 2-4 branches… think ill do that this march with outdoor soil with spare mother plant branches

1 Like

You can make more than one cutting out of a branch for sure, I’ve done it. I cut the branch into 4 or 5 even 6" pieces when i did it. Those with no top sometimes rooted slower than the others with a top. But to do layering you would leave it attached to the main stem ,right? Bury the stem every 6 inches? They make a hollow " bobber" now too, that clasps around the stem, and it is filled with sphagnum( i think), which is kept moist. I wonder if something like a tennis ball would work equally well, Some holes drilled in the sides of it Maybe. Could work in a pinch. Easy way to “take clones” without taking anything at all. A “what if this is killer” cutting.

1 Like